• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your #1 style tip

tthornell

Reaction score
If you had to offer one style tip, what would it be? I'll start. Get a Tailor and use him/her often. I can by a $30 stafford oxford from Macy's, and spend $10 getting it tailored to fit perfectly and viola, I look like a million bucks. My favorite shirt is a too big Brioni I bagged for 2.50 at a thrift store and had tailored. Now your turn.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Buy clothes that fit. You can buy ****** Target t-shirts and some Levi's 501s and you'll look better than the guy that just came out of Nordstrom with a bunch of overly tight graphic tees and baggy TR jeans.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
+on the tailor. I can comfortably thrift shirts +1 size (in general) and get them tailored in everyway for like $30-40. sure, the stitching quality isn't top notch(though I have a good tailor) but for thrifted shirts the fit is definitely worth it.

If they're a size too big for you, don't they fit poorly in the shoulders? Or can tailors adjust that?

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never try to find a substitute for something you think is financially out of your reach. You might end up buying several cheaper things in the hope of satisfying the need for that expensive one but you'll probably end up spending the same amount and not one bit happier. If I can't buy it, I don't have it. Less is more.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy the best looking shoes for your style that you can possibly find. You can have a perfect fitting shirt, pants, but if your shoes are crap it ruins the whole look. Start from the ground up.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
Never try to find a substitute for something you think is financially out of your reach. You might end up buying several cheaper things in the hope of satisfying the need for that expensive one but you'll probably end up spending the same amount and not one bit happier. If I can't buy it, I don't have it. Less is more.

+1

Mine is to stock up, make sure you don't *need* anything. That gives you time to plan your wardrobe and buy on the downside.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Only buy **** you love, not just for the sake of buying it or because it was on sale.

Agree with berlin, I like to say "A cheap anything is more expensive in the long run" where anything can be replaced with well anything.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Never underestimate the power of a pleasant greeting, good posture and a clean body.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Make sure you are comfortable in your clothes.

covington

Reaction score
I personally try to buy a smaller number of clothes that I know I really like than to have a big wardrobe of objects that I'm unsure of. As time progresses, you get to gather a nice selection anyhow.
teacha.gif

My advice is that you shouldn't be afraid to ask people how you look. Use your anonymity at the Internet or perhaps a friend with a good eye for fashion. You will be judged by your clothes so you might as well be one step ahead.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, this is an awesome thread. i love everyone's input so far.

I agree that quality is more important than quantity. Like Berlin said, substitutes always get old and before long you've spent just as much as the expensive item. I would say concentrate on fit first. Like others have said, use a tailor often and dont buy unless you REALLY love it.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
already been mentioned but the number one thing i've learned on the SF is buy clothes that fit.

if you follow that rule, by default you have to follow two other rules:

(1), know what a good fit looks like for your body type
(2), know your measurements before you go shopping

-Jeff

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Learn to love the basics.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never wear a cheap tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads