• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your #1 style tip

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree with SoCal. Comfort is the most important ingredient of style.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not take message board critisism too seriously. Confidents in your own style and a friendly attitude will go a lot longer than any thing else.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple clothes that fit well and compliment each other will beat more expensive, poorly fitting, and poorly matched clothes every time.

Cali

Reaction score
Invest in a few items that you absolutely love to wear and they will become your trademark style.

Every time I put on my Sams I am reminded why I paid more for them than any other item of clothing I own, and I don't regret it. Same thing with my tiger fleece.

The piles of ill-fitting, not quite right clothing that I got on sale irks me because that money could have gone into a couple of very nice items that I would have used for years. Live and learn.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I do agree that one really shouldnt get stuff that is "kinda nice" on sale, but I think its pretty hard to actually know what will turn out to be staples in the wardrobe without actually wearing them for a while. Stuff that you love in the store might turn out to be subtly wrong after awhile..

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Try to get interested in labels and styles that aren't directly related to what you wear, that way you might be exposed to something that will pique your interest and make you get out of your comfort zone.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the tweed itches, your not wearing it, correctly .

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Do not take message board critisism too seriously. Confidents in your own style and a friendly attitude will go a lot longer than any thing else.

Agreed, but only to some extent. I've seen some fits on SuFu that were honestly quite decent that got ripped on simply because of the brands (for instance, the person was wearing a Gap t-shirt, well-fitting Gap one-wash jeans, and APCxNikes). And then I've seen fits that obviously look terrible.

One thing that bugs me about message board criticism: If you wear expensive brands, even if you make them look like ****, you often won't be criticized. Chris, for example, makes Ann D and Rick Owens look great with all his fits. However, there are a couple particular users that I see wearing Julius and other expensive "goth-ninja" brands and it just disgusts me how people judge the pieces rather than the overall fits. It seems that if you're wearing a Supreme t-shirt over on SuFu, you're simply passed over even if the fit sucks.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Know what works for your body type and skin coloring and keep it simple. I'm all about wearing clothes that I feel comfortable in... I don't let my clothes wear me.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy jeans from a maker known for their jeans (5ep, R&B, Nudie, Acne, ES, Diesel, even 7s) and shoes from a shoemaker (Ferragamo, AE, Converse, EG, etc) and suits from a suitmaker (Zegna, Brioni, Armani, Hickey Freeman, etc). These are not items that should be bought from a place that just happens to make them (Banana Republic, Zara, Express, etc). Spend more on these items, as they are the three which, IMO, stand out the most when they are made by a company whose focus is these items. Save the t-shirts, blazers, sweaters for the lesser brands, as these items tend to be cheaper and don't last as long anyways.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
So you can guy your suits from Brioni...but, not your blazers? Those you should get from H&M?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
So you can guy your suits from Brioni...but, not your blazers? Those you should get from H&M?

Sorry, let me clarify: When I dress up, I only wear suits, never odd slacks and blazers. The only thing I wear blazers for is casual, 99% of the time with jeans, so yeah. Obviously, for a propper sports jacket, one should go to the same sources as for suits.

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Assume everything is made like crap until proven otherwise. Check everything.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My #1 style tip would be.. don't assume that someone's #1 style tip is indeed a good tip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads