• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Younger Guys Wearing Penny Loafers?

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Can younger guys wear penny loafers in a casual setting without looking like an "old man" from the waist down?

I think it can be a good look but curious on your input.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. It is a specific look - Ivy, Trad, Preppy - whatever people call it these days. I started wearing penny loafers in prep school and have owned at least one pair for the past 25 years.

extempore

Reaction score
Sure they can!

Just remember to hem your pants and perhaps wear a slimmer pant cut if you're really worried.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I started wearing penny loafers (Weston 180s) in my early-mid 20s and never had any worries that they'd label me as "premature old man." But if you do have such worries, probably best to stay away. No point wearing something you haver doubts about.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I got an "old man" jab today from a friend
smile.gif
I like the look though. But I do think it works best with no show socks or sockless though (I was wearing khaki dress socks today). This http://cgi.ebay.com/ALLEN-EDMONDS-Br...ayphotohosting with jeans or khakis? Classic right?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess they can,but I wouldn't wear these kind of loafers. Something more contemporary.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im in my late twenties and wear my Alden 986 quite often, and love them.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
I like many of the loafers posted a lot. I fear the price is going to be hard to swallow, lol.

Steven, what types of socks to you usually wear, and what pants are you rocking?

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by extempore
Assuming you're a 9.5, and you're partial to the AE model I mentioned earlier, this one's $40.
http://cgi.ebay.com/brown-Allen-Edmo...3A1|240%3A1318

I actually like the parkland's style. I'm actually a 10 - 10.5, but damn good guess
smile.gif
I am not crazy about grain leather though. Not sure why.

So basically, my take away is to try to find a loafer with a more "updated" style, such that they are a bit more pointed in the toe?

I guess bass weejuns are more New England trad or Southern prep whereas I could see some of the other models being more European in styling influence.

extempore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
I actually like the parkland's style. I'm actually a 10 - 10.5, but damn good guess
smile.gif
I am not crazy about grain leather though. Not sure why.

If you're not a fan of grain leather, try the:

- AE Cameron: a classic design, but not made anymore - Alden makes a spitting image of this in their model 686 ("Full Strap Slip-On")
- AE Hanover/Cole/Savilla: more great penny loafers from AE
- AE Norwell: if you don't mind a little contrast stitching on your loafers
- AE Bergamo: a dressier option, not strictly a penny loafer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics