• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Younger Guys Wearing Penny Loafers?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also been contemplating the penny loafer recently. It seems like they would look best with properly hemmed chinos or cuffed denim. This way you could show your wild socks, or bare ankles, and have the look come off as a bit more youthful. I have yet to buy a pair, but they will probably be an upcoming purchase.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh heavens they're terrible!
_5448906.jpg

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Looking young and modern depends a lot on your whole ensemble. But you can't really go wrong with a classic penny loafer like below.

Though go for a lighter brown colour for more causal settings. Looks great when worn with slim shorts or chinos. Though I don't wear loafers with jeans (I don't really wear jeans). That's where most of the "old man" look deviate from.
42477.jpg

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm young enough and Penny loafs are wearable at any age. I prefer any loafer to have a minimal sole, either blaked or even glued if not too expensive.

I'm trying to track down a pair of loafers with an extended vamp and a single, large tassle. Now those are bad ass.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irishnick
I just turned 24 and was in a similar predicament when I wanted to buy some new shoes to wear with jeans. I work in politics and for Democratic campaigns the uniform is jeans, a nice shirt, and dressy but not too dressy shoes. I went to Nordstroms and chose the Gordon Rush 'Fitzgerald' Slip-On. I got them for about $200 which was a bit of a splurge for me, but after a couple months I am very happy with them. I think it is very easy for young men to over dress and look silly. Penny loafers, cuff links, and pocket squares can all be tricky.

_5448906.jpg

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2941585/...bo=6005346&P=1

You won't have to worry about us older men wearing these
confused.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irishnick
I just turned 24 and was in a similar predicament when I wanted to buy some new shoes to wear with jeans. I work in politics and for Democratic campaigns the uniform is jeans, a nice shirt, and dressy but not too dressy shoes. I went to Nordstroms and chose the Gordon Rush 'Fitzgerald' Slip-On. I got them for about $200 which was a bit of a splurge for me, but after a couple months I am very happy with them. I think it is very easy for young men to over dress and look silly. Penny loafers, cuff links, and pocket squares can all be tricky.

_5448906.jpg

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2941585/...bo=6005346&P=1

lurk moar

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads