• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young Professional Introduction

terrible1one3

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been dressing up for a new position and have used google to ask many fashion questions and almost every time I am referred to this forum so I figure I will lurk here now. I don't plan on replying much as I stated above I have been googleing very simple questions so I don't have much intuitive information to add but I am getting more and more into fashion and like reading about what everyone has to say.

As for me, I graduated college December of '07, have been working in an engineering role since then (yes cheap polo's and dockers). Now I am starting a sales engineering role, I am meeting with executive level people and it requires me to dress up a bit more.

I can't quite afford extremely stylish stuff yet but think I am on my way to building a respectable wardrobe. I am currently wearing 3 different suits, a blue with gray pinstripe Ralph Lauren, a gray 3 piece Alfani, and finally a dark charcoal Jones New York. I also have about a dozen dress shirts, about 6 of them are very nice. Not really anything to brag about but it is a lot for a young guy like me growing up in the age of baggy blue jeans and t-shirts with a bunch of dumb sayings on it.

I also have a couple nice pairs of Franco Vanucci shoes but like I said nothing to brag about.

Well thanks everyone for reading! Be easy on the rest of the newbies, though it is fun reading flame threads
wink.gif
. Have a great day!

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, don't buy anything right now, read this forum for a few hours a day, for about a month, then pick and choose what you buy.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Honestly, don't buy anything right now, read this forum for a few hours a day, for about a month, then pick and choose what you buy.

I'd say there are a few things he can do now though.

1) Get good shoes.
b) Keep them polished.
2) Make sure that the suits/shirts you currently own are tailored properly.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
even those mentioned suits will look fine for a good while if you have tailored right, assuming they fit half decent now.

I do suggest you find a very nice pair of Black Cap toe shoes (alden, C&J, even AE), because there is a striking difference between nice shoes and lousy shoes.

The suits, you can get away with them for a while, you're a young guy most people will understand you can afford $1000+ suits just yet, and most of them probably are not wearing clothes of the caliber on this forum.

terrible1one3

Reaction score
Thanks for the information!

I have definitely found out how great it is to have clothes tailored.

Luckily my fiance's mother is a tailor and she has picked up a lot of her mothers skills so she has been doing simple things but boy having a clothes professional tailored is great.

I don't plan on making any purchases any time soon. Just put about a grand into my wardrobe with the 2 suits, shoes, and a bunch of shirts and a few pairs of pants.

I will keep reading around and getting more info from the members.

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads