• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young guy, old suit

seen

Reaction score
I just turned 20, and got my grandfather's old suit as a present. It's a very nice subtle plaid double breasted suit, looks near new, and fits me like a charm.

I'm getting an investing banking intern job with Morgan Stanley this summer, my grandfather was also a successful investment banker. Since I'm very close to my him, this suit means alot to me.

I was wondering if I can pull off this suit once in a while (I have my own suits, of course). Or am I way too young to look good in a suit like that. And what kinds of shoes, shirts, and ties I can wear with it. Thanks!

Aureus

Reaction score
No you're not too young, the only thing I get when I wear my double breasted suit is compliments and I’m but 19. If you want to get some recommendations on what would look good, you might want to tell us the color
wink.gif
Though something to consider is that you will be the intern at the office. You want to send a message that says 'I can fit in with you as a professional' to the entire office. Wear what the bankers are wearing, if that means hanging up your grandfathers suit... that might be the right thing to do until you actually have a job with the company.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seen
I just turned 20, and got my grandfather's old suit as a present. It's a very nice subtle plaid double breasted suit, looks near new, and fits me like a charm.

I'm getting an investing banking intern job with Morgan Stanley this summer, my grandfather was also a successful investment banker. Since I'm very close to my him, this suit means alot to me.

I was wondering if I can pull off this suit once in a while (I have my own suits, of course). Or am I way too young to look good in a suit like that. And what kinds of shoes, shirts, and ties I can wear with it. Thanks!

Why are you worried? Because it is DB? I'd say if you feel good in it, it is a classic cut and it fits well, go for it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much, as long as it fits properly. After all, you're an intern, and few 20-year-olds have an extensive suit wardrobe. I'm sure the other fellows at the office will appreciate your effort.

Also, it gives you a winning story to tell about your grandfather...

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots more info we need. Give us a pic!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I want pics too; young guys in well fitting DBs are a definite rarity and something I praise.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the most important question is whether it's canvased or fused.

Monster

Reaction score
I would suggest you avoid wearing it to work though.

Not because its inappropriate, but rather you will be spending 14+ hours in a chair each day, not wearing your jacket. It wears out the seat of your pants while the jacket doesn't see any wear. Since you say it means a lot to you, I would avoid putting it through this abuse.

seok

Reaction score
guys at Morgan Stanley will be wearing business casual everyday, so even wearing a suit would not be advisable, not to mention a DB piece. when you do have the chance to wear suits, i'd strongly advise you to go with solid charcoal/navy, or pinstripe SB. this coming from first-hand observation and experience in the industry.

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seok
guys at Morgan Stanley will be wearing business casual everyday, so even wearing a suit would not be advisable, not to mention a DB piece. when you do have the chance to wear suits, i'd strongly advise you to go with solid charcoal/navy, or pinstripe SB. this coming from first-hand observation and experience in the industry.

as a banker myself i dont think you will find many that arent wearing a suit and tie, especialy investment banking. i suggest you listen these suggestions: navy, charcoal, and both with pinstripes...that will keep you fresh. get some nice shoes and white/blue shirts

welcome to banking....what university are you at? must be a top 10 program to nab an intern...congrats.

Monster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorially senseless
as a banker myself i dont think you will find many that arent wearing a suit and tie, especialy investment banking. i suggest you listen these suggestions: navy, charcoal, and both with pinstripes...that will keep you fresh. get some nice shoes and white/blue shirts

welcome to banking....what university are you at? must be a top 10 program to nab an intern...congrats.

Eh...morgan is still business formal? I thought lehman was the only one that business formal 24/7.

The firm I'm with (and almost all the ones I interviewed at) were at varying stages of business casual.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A summer analyst position isnt the proper time to busting out the plaid DB suit, trust me. You'd just be drawing drawing all the wrong kind of attention to yourself.

Outside of work, go for it dude.

seen

Reaction score
Thanks guys, for the replies. I am Canadian, and got the internship with Morgan Stanley Canada, whose size of operations is only a fraction of the US company. Nevertheless, it was really tough getting the position, and I'm quite happy about it.

The dress code is very conservative business formal. I havent seen anyone wearing a bright coloured (that's how we Canadians spell color) tie or shirt. I'll post some pictures of the DB suit once I get a chance, I'm freakin out over exams right now.

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seen
Thanks guys, for the replies. I am Canadian, and got the internship with Morgan Stanley Canada, whose size of operations is only a fraction of the US company. Nevertheless, it was really tough getting the position, and I'm quite happy about it.

The dress code is very conservative business formal. I havent seen anyone wearing a bright coloured (that's how we Canadians spell color) tie or shirt. I'll post some pictures of the DB suit once I get a chance, I'm freakin out over exams right now.

canadian here as well. its even more rare to get an IB job in Can. are you west coast or east coast?

my suggestion still stands

morgan is still business formal? I thought lehman was the only one that business formal 24/7.
im not sure if you are in i-banking, but its one of the last professions that really prides itself on being conservative.

Monster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorially senseless
canadian here as well. its even more rare to get an IB job in Can. are you west coast or east coast?

my suggestion still stands

im not sure if you are in i-banking, but its one of the last professions that really prides itself on being conservative.

I am..and being in canada might explain it. Almost all the banks in the US are business casual. Lehman is the only one that is business formal 24/7, AFAIK. Citi is on the far end of the spectrum, where polos are rather common (unless meeting with a client..then it is business formal across the board). BofA, DB, JPM, UBS, Wachovia, etc.. are all business casual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads