• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young analyst just got fired

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Hi SF,

Really depressed to report I've got 1 month towards dismissal, having been in this role for 1 year. Conduct not an issue, but my boss not satisfied with the outcomes on a specific project i've been working on-numerous errors. These errors are a result of my approach of thinking through the problem, implementation and self review.

The past 6 weeks have been informal checkpoint sessions to correct this, and I have seen improvement in my approach to problems, but the outcome still ******. They know there's plenty of tasks I have perfect outcome-familiar tasks, but there's a skill set mismatch as the job requires someone who can achieve robust outcomes in unfamiliar projects.

I've finished 3 levels of CFA, have good technical skills in excel and VBA, but apparently a ****** analyst. I'm young (24), male. There is another of these checkpoint sessions in 2 weeks, to review performance, and another 2 weeks will be decision on dismissal. i.e. I have one month, the required notification period for dismissal, which boss has been strongly hinting to reconsider my career in this field.

A friend hinted 3 ways for me to go: i'm leaning towards 2 & 3
1) work for a massive turnaround and still get laid off.
2) work for a massive turnaround this goes away (unlikely given boss hinting about career direction)
3) looking for a new job using contacts, and recruitment websites.

I'm feeling pretty ****** from time to time.. SF help?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's always easier to find a job when you have a job.

I'd work on #2 and #3 at the same time.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
It's always easier to find a job when you have a job.

I'd work on #2 and #3 at the same time.

Agree 100%, to the point where I would even try to talk the boss into keeping you on longer at lower pay if necessary, while you're looking (if he does have the conversation wtih you at some point that it's over).

Sorry to hear this, but if you managed to pass all 3 levels of the CFA by the time you're 24, I can't just conclude that you're a ****** analyst. You might thrive in other environments.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with 2 and 3. #2 will be a good learning experience and will most likely yield a strong reference and new found respect from your boss, who despite firing you knows that you're a competent person simply in the wrong field. No matter what happens in a month, #2 is the only option.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

olualbert

Reaction score
The notion that someone has to work under these circumstances is mind boggling to me....I cant imagine...

Star

Reaction score
I think a good pick me up analogy is to compare yourself to a professional sports star in a team sport. Many top sportsman either bombed out early in his or her career or when they made the wrong transfer to the wrong club. They bombed out not because they were '****** but because the 'team' was not right. Not a reflection on the player rather it just maybe did not work out.

From your bosses perspective he has to make a decision on the 'now' and what he sees to be the issue. It is a decision you too may have to make later in your career.

Islander

Reaction score
The early years (investment banking especially, if that's what you're doing) can be like musical chairs, so don't get too down on yourself. You sound pretty self-aware, which is a good thing. Stay positive and work with your current employer to the extent possible to find a better fit for your specific skill set.

Good luck and stay positive.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Combination of #2 and #3, with more focus on #3...no offense, but it takes quite a bit for an analyst to be fired purely for poor quality of work.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP can you give more detail on what kind of project and why your results are bad? curious

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stop whining, being depressed and get your **** together. After that if you get fired it's because you should get fired. Not everyone can be successful...that's life. Whether or not you're successful is on your shoulders..and that's how the cookie crumbles.

thinksimple

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
stop whining, being depressed and get your **** together. After that if you get fired it's because you should get fired. Not everyone can be successful...that's life. Whether or not you're successful is on your shoulders..and that's how the cookie crumbles.

Thanks for quite possibly the most useless piece of advice one could give to this guy. He's taking onus for the situation he's in, and you contradicted yourself by saying that not everyone can be successful, yet success is of their own efforts. Anybody can find success, it's just a matter of hard work, focus, and a little bit of dumb luck.

marg

Reaction score
takes a while to learn what you're good at. take this in stride, and use it to know what you should avoid. i moved from a relationship management role into a career-building role that i am not particularly skilled at right now. it really sucks, but i now know what doesn't work for me.

how was your approach incorrect? what did you do?

Clairborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
Hi SF,

Really depressed to report I've got 1 month towards dismissal, having been in this role for 1 year.

Industry you work in and city?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads