1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Young analyst just got fired

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by ginlimetonic, Feb 11, 2011.

1. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

Nobody has a long term goal of sell side research, do they? [​IMG]

haha i'll keep this in mind...

2. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

In reply to earlier responses..

-Idea that I talk boss into keeping me on lower pay. I'll think about it, but as others have correctly stated, it is nearly a certain decision to dismiss, as I have already been given 6 weeks to show improvement, and I'm still not at expectations for someone 1 year into this role.

If your boss is not willing to keep you on as an analyst, perhaps you could try negotiating moving into a slot for which you may be more qualified. This move, if successful, will give you continuity with the company, even if not in the original for which you were hired. If you can move into another slot there, even if you don't like the job, this would give you more time to pursue #3. Like it has been said, having a job while looking for one allows one to deal from a position of strength in negotiating for the job.

Even though this advice comes late, finding a mentor on the job can be invaluable with jobs like this. In addition to learning the technical side of the business from them, it also builds a relationship with someone who can go to bat for you when problems like this arise, or least give you good advice on such situations.

3. Valor

Valor Senior member

Analytics is not for everyone, I think only you alone can decide whether you have the skillset or not to do it. You mentioned you were good at VBA, which as with most programming languages, is fairly "analytical" in nature. The difference is that business analytics requires a lot of "thought" and potentially real life experience.

If you're going to look for a job, do it now, not after you're terminated.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This issue might not be you at all. It could be that your boss's managing style is not right for you. Maybe they need to spend more time with you and have a teaching role. I think a lot of bosses don't understand that when you are young, and out of school you might have the technical know-how, but they aren't working with you to leverage that. Perhaps you need to find a firm, or group that has a manager that is more willing to help you. You are ovbiously a smart guy with your credentials, but young people sometimes just don't know how to "do business" because they don't have that experience.