• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You think you know everything?

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A dime has 118 ridges

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out

A dragonfly has a 24 hr life span

A goldfish has a memory span of 3 seconds

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100 of a second

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes

Al Capone's biz card said he was a used furniture dealer

All 50 states are listed across the top of The Lincoln Memorial on the back of a $5 dollar bill

Almonds are a member of the peach family

An ostrich's eye is bigger than his brain

Babies are born without knee caps, they do not appear until the child reaches 2-6 years of age

Butterflies taste with their feet

Cats have over 100 vocal sounds, dogs 10.

"Dreamt" is the only English word ending in "mt"

Feb 1865 is the only month on record not to have a full moon

In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated

If the population of China walked past you, in a single file, the line would never end because of reproduction.

If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend 6 months waiting at red lights.

It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

Maine is the only single syllable state name in the US.

No word in the English language rhymes with, month, orange, silver, or purple.

On a Canadian $2 bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is the American flag

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but your nose and ears never stop growing.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients in dynamite.

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

"Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand, and "lollipop" with the right.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing

The cruise ship QE2 moves only 6" for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar in his pocket melted

The sentence: " The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" use every letter of the alphabet

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid

The words "racecar", "kayak", and "level" are the same read either left to right or right to left

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar

There are only four words in the English language that end in "dous"; tremendous, hazardous, stupendous, and horrendous

There are 2 words in the English language that have all 5 vowels in order; abstemious and facetious

There is no Betty Rubble in Flintstones Chewable Vitamins

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies room during a dance

Women blick nearly twice as much as men

Your stomach has to produce a new layer of muscle every 2 weeks otherwise it will digest itself.

Okay, now you know everything. And you went to school for how long and never learned all you have from me today.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes closed.
I think thats a typo... and I actually knew all that stuff already.
smile.gif

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 entries found for shark.
shark ( P ) Pronunciation Key (shärk)
n.
Any of numerous chiefly marine carnivorous fishes of the class Chondrichthyes (subclass Elasmobranchii), which are sometimes large and voracious and have a streamlined torpedolike body, five to seven gill openings on each side of the head, a large oil-filled liver, a cartilaginous skeleton, and tough skin covered with small toothlike scales.

Go back to school.

Etruscan

Reaction score
Some interesting items, some familiar, some less so. Thanks for posting. As to the five-dollar bill, however, I believe that only the names of the states that were in the Union at the time of Lincoln's presidency are inscribed on the Memorial.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some interesting items, some familiar, some less so.  Thanks for posting.  As to the five-dollar bill, however, I believe that only the names of the states that were in the Union at the time of Lincoln's presidency are inscribed on the Memorial.
The building is constructed primarily of Colorado Yule marble and Indiana limestone. The 36 columns around the memorial represent the states in the union at the time of Lincoln's death; their names are carved in the frieze directly above. The names of the 48 states in the Union when the memorial was completed in 1922 are carved in the exterior attic walls. A memorial plaque in the plaza commemorates the subsequent admission of Alaska and Hawaii. President Warren G. Harding dedicated the memorial on May 30, 1922. The principal address at the dedication was given by Dr. Robert Moton, president of Tuskegee Institute, and Robert Todd Lincoln, the President's only surviving son, was in attendance.

As to the actual bill, the last 4 names are Nebraska, Colorado, North Dakota, and Nevada....

Iducted:
36 stars - July 4, 1865 to July 3, 1867 Nevada (October 31, 1864)

37 stars - July 4, 1867 to July 3, 1877 Nebraska (March 1, 1867)

38 stars - July 4, 1877 to July 3, 1890 Colorado (August 1, 1876)

43 stars - July 4, 1890 to July 3, 1891 North Dakota (November 2, 1889)

lincoln died April 16, 1865

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dammit, i hate when I'm wrong. and here i thought i was so smart because i knew the difference between an osteichthyes and chondrichthyes. ok, back to school i go.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than knowing one has something to do with cartlidge and the other developed jaw bones, I can't even say those 2 words...got me there

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(nightowl6261a @ Feb. 18 2005,13:24) No word in the English language rhymes with, month, orange, silver, or purple.
Curtail? Â It's a stretch, I know.
Maybe "curdle" but not curtail, which rhymes with Yale.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
osteichthyes and chondrichthyes

Well both are actually clearly fish. "Ichtheys" being the designation for fish.

I.E. an Ichthyologist being a person who studies fish.

straightupfront

Reaction score
Re the urban legend of the $2 Canadian bill and the American flag.

1. Canada hasn't had $2 bills for many years now - it's a coin.
2. And when they did, the flag flying over the Parliament buildings was the British Union Jack, given that Canada was a British colony until 1867.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads