• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

You know you're a tryhard when...

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Not sure how much of a following he has at this point, as he peaked a bit before the crest of the #menswear craze, but John Tinseth from The Trad is probably the coolest guy in the field. He's comfortably self-aware, doesn't try to be someone he isn't, and approaches clothes with a light touch and sense of humor; basically the opposite of a tryhard. It probably helps that he is older and thus has had time to figure out who he is, as well as to make his own share of sartorial errors (which he isn't shy about owning and discussing).

For the opposite of this, that is, oblivious preening weirdos, no one's going to say anything about Pitti? If you're flying halfway around the world for a menswear tradeshow but you are not a vendor or buyer and indeed your only connection to the rags industry is your IG microinfluencer page, you might be a tryhard. If you're having a overpriced Negroni and cigar in a Florentine tourist trap bar, you might be a tryhard. If you break rules you don't even fully know, for the sole sake of breaking them, you might be a tryhard.

Pertinent to the other thread, these guys somehow also manage to come off as wildly uncool and (probably also) unstylish. You can practically taste the clenched desperation.

"Tryhard" is what losers call winners.
Thanks but no thanks, Tony Robbins.

otterhound

Reaction score
... no one's going to say anything about Pitti?
I'm tempted to give the Pitti guys a pass at the event because I think the whole street scene there is a big cosplay. But if they wore the same stuff in any other setting, then yeah.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's like the guy in every group who loves to try busting balls with his buddies but just isn't funny or clever enough to do it well.
Why not exclude such a guy from the group. What's the point in his being there? Is it to be the butt of the joke?

Last edited:

Mirage-

Reaction score
Being on this forum must be the definition of tryhard, only I don't think it means showing off like a peacock, pitti style, trying to appear in as many photos as possible. Nor always dressing up, necessarily. Indeed, it often involves the opposite: a lot of threads here are about wearing what we consider the more flattering aesthetic i.e. CM and particularly tailoring, without standing out too much. So yes, we are indeed trying hard to dress well, and I agree on the notion that it's not a bad thing, and it's a pity we now have this idea that it is bad. I was thinking about this recently, noting my disappointment in the usual clothes most people wear, until it dawned on me the (probably once very obvious) idea that dressing well isn't just for oneself, but in fact a courtesy to those others that happen to look and interact with you, and as such it should be viewed positively, not negatively as if it was merely vanity. Except when it clearly is, of course, like the infamous Pitti peacocks.

In any case, about trying hard... this actually reminded me of my highschool days, when people would make fun of me for my good grades, because...because I tried too hard, apparently?
As a side note I didn't actually study that much, in fact I liked studying no more or even less than any other kid, but I was afraid of the embarrassment of failing, which motivated me a bit, and I also did my best to really pay attention in class so that I could do as little studying as possible outside of it. Which is why they saw me as trying hard I suppose.
The point is that envious people somehow managed to make it seem uncool to "try hard" at obtaining a desirable result, but the result was certainly still desirable. Being held back a year was not cool either, and when people had questions they often came to me in the end.
So you might say that effort is uncool, what about sprezzatura and all, but that is only partially correct, I believe. Result without effort is cooler than result with obvious effort (imo, because it suggests mastery), but no result isn't cool at all, effort or not.
So the way I see it, better to be a tryhard until you reach mastery and it becomes effortless, than being a no-try, no effort, and most importantly no result.
It's not even limited to clothing obviously.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh...I think it's probably more accurate to say the "tryhards" want to be winners but don't know how to, so they end up looking/acting foolish. It's like the guy in every group who loves to try busting balls with his buddies but just isn't funny or clever enough to do it well.
Good analogy, but I disagree. The only time I've ever heard someone use the term tryhard seriously, was more or less a case of resentment of someone else being better than them. It isn't just against the people who try too much and it comes off as force or stilted or whatever the case might be, but usually for people who succeed vs. people who fail through no fault other than their own lack of effort.

Now okay, granted, there are ways to overshoot the mark with clothes. If you show up in a tuxedo to a cook out on the beach, you're going to look like an ass. I don't count these as tryhards in the meaningful sense. These people lack context of what achieving the end result is about.

Mirage-

Reaction score
What is this obsession with losers and winners? It's sad and so unnecessary.
Indeed. Sometimes I feel like some people act as if they are stuck in a stereotypical high school movie, where the cool guy gets the hot girl and admiration of the school, and the losers become laughing stock of every other character.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the opposite of this, that is, oblivious preening weirdos, no one's going to say anything about Pitti? If you're flying halfway around the world for a menswear tradeshow but you are not a vendor or buyer and indeed your only connection to the rags industry is your IG microinfluencer page, you might be a tryhard. If you're having a overpriced Negroni and cigar in a Florentine tourist trap bar, you might be a tryhard. If you break rules you don't even fully know, for the sole sake of breaking them, you might be a tryhard.
Ever been to Pitti?

Mannion

Reaction score
Eh...I think it's probably more accurate to say the "tryhards" want to be winners but don't know how to, so they end up looking/acting foolish. It's like the guy in every group who loves to try busting balls with his buddies but just isn't funny or clever enough to do it well.
Closely linked to the people who see things as a destination rather than a journey to be enjoyed.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ever been to Pitti?
By accident. In ye old days of the Trans Europe Express, we'd make extensive rail trips -- booking private compartments -- around Europe. Each day would go as follows: Wake up, take train, stop for a nice lunch, take train, stop for nice dinner and sleep ... repeat. At perhaps one or two points along the way we'd stop for an actual rest of several days. Once we ended up in Milan Florence (Andy 57 pointed out my mistake) during Pitti. Oh my. We gave it a day and hopped a train again and were on our way.

I met and married a travel executive ... what can I say.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.