• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just became aware of a listing ended by ebay, for a pair of alligator (or crocodile, I'm not sure) shoes. Ebay says the listing could possibly be in violation of California PENAL CODE SECTION 639-653.1 which reads in part:

653o. (a) It is unlawful to import into this state for commercial
purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the
state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of any
alligator, crocodile, polar bear, leopard, ocelot, tiger, cheetah,
jaguar, sable antelope, wolf ( Canis lupus), zebra, whale, cobra,
python, sea turtle, colobus monkey, kangaroo, vicuna, sea otter,
free-roaming feral horse, dolphin or porpoise (Delphinidae), Spanish
lynx, or elephant.

Link to the whole code here:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=639-653.1

Is this some sort of joke?? Has enyone ever heard of it being illegal to sell alligator or crocodile shoes in California?

mrpologuy

Reaction score
As far as I know it is illegal in California. A buddy tried to buy an alligator belt from polo.com and they couldn't sell it to him because he lives in Cali.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have G H sell it for you.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The thing I ask is why anyone would want to wear alligator in the first place...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
The thing I ask is why anyone would want to wear alligator in the first place...
There are plenty of reasons.

As for it being illegal, I was under the impression that only python was illegal in California.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Note vicuna as well... love the PRK.

Stax

Reaction score
thank the hippies and pass the foie gras. wait, that's also illegal in California.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
ebay is dum

paypal is even more stupider.

it may be someone reported that specific auction to ebay. just shows that if this were the case, ebay is lazy to do anything more than what is right in front of them. shows why counterfeit sellers are so prevalent.

there is no progress in ebay. no progress in paypal other than more protection for the buyer and none whatsoever for the seller.

fonsh

Reaction score
I'd be interested in what some lawyers who are members of this forum have to say. There's an old saying - "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". It would seem that not only was your ebay listing in violation, but you too (possess with intent to sell). Since you are now on record (in public), my suggestion would be to drop those things like a hot potato (get rid of 'em). Perhaps you can connect with another seller in a different state where the legality is not in question (for a percentage)? If merely being in possession of them - having already attempted to sell them - is a felony, I'd be highly concerned about this. Just my 2c.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fonsh
I'd be interested in what some lawyers who are members of this forum have to say. There's an old saying - "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". It would seem that not only was your ebay listing in violation, but you too (possess with intent to sell). Since you are now on record (in public), my suggestion would be to drop those things like a hot potato (get rid of 'em). Perhaps you can connect with another seller in a different state where the legality is not in question (for a percentage)? If merely being in possession of them - having already attempted to sell them - is a felony, I'd be highly concerned about this. Just my 2c.

It's not a felony, it's a misdemeanor.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Further googling brought up an article saying there is currently a bill that has passed the state legislature making it legal to sell alligator/crocodile goods in California for three years. It is pending approval by the governator.

I'm trying to figure out how this is news to me, as I see alligator and crocodile shoes, belts, etc being sold all over California, at major stores. I think it could explain why the shoes mentioned while clearly crocodile or alligator, are not labeled as such, as they were originally offered for sale in a California store.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Are they fine with the faux Croc Taryn Rose loafer?

wink.gif

Cali, what a loony bin...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Geez fonsh, ruin my day whydoncha...
smile.gif
As ridiculous as this all is, I have edited the post to make it a more general discussion.

AlexP415

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
thank the hippies and pass the foie gras. wait, that's also illegal in California.

Not yet it's not! Just gorged myself at Bouchon the other night.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fonsh
I wouldn't worry overmuch. The practical likelihood of some CA prosecutor attempting to prosecute an ebay seller for trying to sell alligator or crocodile shoes is very, very low.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics