You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Sep 14, 2006.

1. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Note the inclusion of Kangaroo to the list. No RM Williams Kangaroo boots for us Californians!

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Does Kitonbrioni live in CA? His collection of David Edens would put him on America's most wanted list.

3. Soph

Soph Senior member

You're a shoe smuggler[​IMG]

You've got the smuggler's blues

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Not yet it's not! Just gorged myself at Bouchon the other night. [​IMG]
    Did you use a funnel? [​IMG]

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

There are plenty of reasons.

As for it being illegal, I was under the impression that only python was illegal in California.

Monty Python is illegal in Cali!?

6. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I think it's just another instance of Ebay hypocrisy! I don't think that they care at all. If a complaint is made, they will do something(and not always).

Last year I was selling a pair of Sea Turtle shoes. I do not live in Ca. It is entirely legal to sell "Vintage" Sea Turtle shoes(those made before their ban), which these were and I noted that in the Ebay listing.

But Ebay pulled the listing when someone complained. So I started to follow Sea Turtle listings. The results were mixed. Sometimes Ebay pulled the listing, and sometimes they let the auction go to completion. I guess they pulled auctions that had a complaint. And not always.

The point is that Ebay is a bunch of hypocrites. I don't think they care one bit about Alligator or Sea Turtle. But to be politically correct and to cover their butts(though I think their liability is very little in these type of cases), is the only reason they do things like this.

7. Stax

Stax Senior member

Not yet it's not! Just gorged myself at Bouchon the other night. [​IMG]

[​IMG] I forgot that the bill has a phase out period.

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I think it's just another instance of Ebay hypocrisy! I don't think that they care at all. If a complaint is made, they will do something(and not always).

Last year I was selling a pair of Sea Turtle shoes. I do not live in Ca. It is entirely legal to sell "Vintage" Sea Turtle shoes(those made before their ban), which these were and I noted that in the Ebay listing.

But Ebay pulled the listing when someone complained. So I started to follow Sea Turtle listings. The results were mixed. Sometimes Ebay pulled the listing, and sometimes they let the auction go to completion. I guess they pulled auctions that had a complaint. And not always.

The point is that Ebay is a bunch of hypocrites. I don't think they care one bit about Alligator or Sea Turtle. But to be politically correct and to cover their butts(though I think their liability is very little in these type of cases), is the only reason they do things like this.

I'm not sure I understand. What exactly do you expect ebay to do? And how are they being hypocritical by trying to cover their asses? Are they supposed to leave their asses exposed to criminal penalties? Is the government hypocritical by not catching everyone that commits a crime or by not prosecuting everyone that gets caught?

9. fonsh

fonsh Member

10. A Harris

Yes, I agree with you re. the hypocrisy of ebay's policing (in general, though perhaps not specifically in the case of the alligator shoes.) I have run into this sort of thing often, as I seem to have made an enemy somewhere who loves to complain and have my auctions ended for the tiniest technical little reasons. The latest was a pair of Vass samples, sz 13, with trees which I was selling for appx. $790. I listed a flat fee of $25 to ship them and ebay ended the listing saying I was in violation of the "Circumvention of eBay Fees policy". According to them that was an 'excessive handling charge' somehow meant to recoup my fees on the auction. Never mind that $25 is below the cost to ship a 7lb package to an East Coast address with $790 in insurance! As always, I called in, and they basically stonewalled me. In my experience they are never really willing to listen to ANYTHING a seller has to say when a listing is ended.

Then on the other hand, I've reported lots of auction that were in clear and eggregious violation of various policies, and have never seen one ended... What a joke.

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I don't think hypocrisy is really the operative word here. EBay is consistent. Its official corporate position is that it is not a buyer or seller of anything of these things and is not responsible for the items. When something is brought to their attention, they pull it. But if they went around pro-actively policing listings, this might, perversely, increase their potential liability for the things that they let slip through.

12. A Harris

Yes, I see your point. But in actual practice, enforcement of their policies on listings that are reported tends to be arbitrary, inconsistent, and often reveals a complete lack of reasoning ability on the part of the person reviewing the auctions (see the above example.)

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

A Harris, I dispute none of that.

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

shit, now what am I supposed to do with this free roaming feral horse that I was shipping out to diorshoe?

15. mr monty

mr monty Senior member