Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Sep 14, 2006.

1. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just became aware of a listing ended by ebay, for a pair of alligator (or crocodile, I'm not sure) shoes. Ebay says the listing could possibly be in violation of California PENAL CODE SECTION 639-653.1 which reads in part:

653o. (a) It is unlawful to import into this state for commercial
    purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the
    state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of any
    alligator, crocodile, polar bear, leopard, ocelot, tiger, cheetah,
    jaguar, sable antelope, wolf ( Canis lupus), zebra, whale, cobra,
    python, sea turtle, colobus monkey, kangaroo, vicuna, sea otter,
    free-roaming feral horse, dolphin or porpoise (Delphinidae), Spanish
    lynx, or elephant.

Link to the whole code here:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=639-653.1

Is this some sort of joke?? Has enyone ever heard of it being illegal to sell alligator or crocodile shoes in California?

2. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

As far as I know it is illegal in California. A buddy tried to buy an alligator belt from polo.com and they couldn't sell it to him because he lives in Cali.

3. Soph

Soph Senior member

Have G H sell it for you.

4. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

The thing I ask is why anyone would want to wear alligator in the first place...

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The thing I ask is why anyone would want to wear alligator in the first place...
    There are plenty of reasons.

As for it being illegal, I was under the impression that only python was illegal in California.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Note vicuna as well... love the PRK.

7. Stax

Stax Senior member

thank the hippies and pass the foie gras. wait, that's also illegal in California.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

ebay is dum

paypal is even more stupider.

it may be someone reported that specific auction to ebay. just shows that if this were the case, ebay is lazy to do anything more than what is right in front of them. shows why counterfeit sellers are so prevalent.

there is no progress in ebay. no progress in paypal other than more protection for the buyer and none whatsoever for the seller.

9. fonsh

fonsh Member

I'd be interested in what some lawyers who are members of this forum have to say. There's an old saying - "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". It would seem that not only was your ebay listing in violation, but you too (possess with intent to sell). Since you are now on record (in public), my suggestion would be to drop those things like a hot potato (get rid of 'em). Perhaps you can connect with another seller in a different state where the legality is not in question (for a percentage)? If merely being in possession of them - having already attempted to sell them - is a felony, I'd be highly concerned about this. Just my 2c.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'd be interested in what some lawyers who are members of this forum have to say. There's an old saying - "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". It would seem that not only was your ebay listing in violation, but you too (possess with intent to sell). Since you are now on record (in public), my suggestion would be to drop those things like a hot potato (get rid of 'em). Perhaps you can connect with another seller in a different state where the legality is not in question (for a percentage)? If merely being in possession of them - having already attempted to sell them - is a felony, I'd be highly concerned about this. Just my 2c.

It's not a felony, it's a misdemeanor.

11. A Harris

Further googling brought up an article saying there is currently a bill that has passed the state legislature making it legal to sell alligator/crocodile goods in California for three years. It is pending approval by the governator.

I'm trying to figure out how this is news to me, as I see alligator and crocodile shoes, belts, etc being sold all over California, at major stores. I think it could explain why the shoes mentioned while clearly crocodile or alligator, are not labeled as such, as they were originally offered for sale in a California store.

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Are they fine with the faux Croc Taryn Rose loafer?

[​IMG]

Cali, what a loony bin...

13. A Harris

Geez fonsh, ruin my day whydoncha... [​IMG] As ridiculous as this all is, I have edited the post to make it a more general discussion.

14. AlexP415

AlexP415 Well-Known Member

thank the hippies and pass the foie gras. wait, that's also illegal in California.

Not yet it's not! Just gorged myself at Bouchon the other night. [​IMG]

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I wouldn't worry overmuch. The practical likelihood of some CA prosecutor attempting to prosecute an ebay seller for trying to sell alligator or crocodile shoes is very, very low.