• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Have $1,000 for shirts

TPX99

Reaction score
Late 30s guy who wants to drop roughly $1,000 on shirts toward a revamped wardrobe. I’d like the following:

—One or two shirts that could go with jeans under a casual navy blue sports coat
-One or two shirts that would go with slacks
-Maybe shirts that would go with both jeans and slacks?

What’s your strategy in terms of style, color, material?

I’ve started looking at Proper Cloth and the options are a tad overwhelming.

What’s your strategy?

Mujib

Reaction score
Strategy: stick to the basics.

OCBD: blue
OCBD: white
Spread collar poplin: blue
Spread collar poplin: white

If there’s money left, the same with stripes.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I'm assuming that I would end up with 8 shirts from that budget (based on average prices from shirtonomy.com, where I get my shirts):

2 white oxford cloth button downs (one with brown horn buttons, one with mother of pearl)
1 blue-striped OCBD (MoP buttons)
1 denim shirt with a spread color (MoP buttons)
1 white button down linen shirt (horn buttons)
1 tobacco button down linnen shirt (horn buttons)
1 wheat heavy oxford shirt (as an overshirt)
(1 flannel shirt in a subtle pattern - shirtonomy doesn't carry them, and they're not in season as it's a warmer winter shirt)

With the use case you suggest, I would stay away from poplin shirts: the weave is a classic business weave, and wearing them with slacks or denim gives a horrible "business casualty" look. White and striped oxfords are still formal enough to go with a sport coat, and they bridge the informality of denim and the formality of the jacket much better than poplin. Oxford and linen also work without ironing if you let them hang-dry; heavy oxford cloth rumples a bit but not nearly as bad as poplin, and linen is suppose to be a bit messy.

(I don't personally wear flannel shirts, but I acknowledge that they're very practical in more casual looks).

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Are these shirts for work or for hanging out with your kids in the park at the weekend? And where do you live?

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
I'd buy white shirts, either spread or cutaway collars. Probably a mix of button cuff and french cuffs.
Also a light blue shirt to mix it up, and a white shirt with blue stripes (one of my favorites).
Also a blue shirt with contrasting white collar and contrasting white French cuffs for when I want to channel my inner Gordon Gekko, ha.

My go-to shirt brands are RLPL and Brioni.

HongKongGent

Reaction score
I'd go semi spread or spread collar and 1 x white, 1 x black, 1 x light blue, 1 x pale pink. And if you have any money left and need it for work purposes then pick up a white one with french cuffs too.

omnicognosco

Reaction score
If you fit Spier sizes, 1k goes a long way in shirts.

Generally, I suggest 7 is generous to begin:
1 White OCBD
1 White Spread Collar
1 Blue OCBD
1 Brushed Flannel, neutral tone (blue?)
1 Brushed Plaid Flannel
1 Linen shirt, light color
1 Patterned shirt, something summery

babybeluga

Reaction score
I would buy fewer higher quality shirts around the 100-150$ price point. Let's assume 125 and go from there and stick to just blue and white to increase versatility.

1 Blue OCBD
1 White OCBD
1 Blue spread collar
1 White spread collar
1 Blue/White Stripe spread collar
1 Blue chambray
1 White linen
1 brushed cotton

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience