• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

You guys have really ruined me ...

cmeisenzahl

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
474
Reaction score
3
Or maybe helped me. ;-)

I walked all around a central NY mall yesterday for 3 hours. Did some shoe window shopping and was left disappointed by everything I saw. Some of the factory/brand stores included:
- Johnston & Murphy
- Clarks/Bass
- Rockport

And a few others I don't recall. Six months ago I considered anything leather and brown a 'dress shoe.' Now I see Allen-Edmonds as the entry point to that definition. Thanks, guys. ;-)
 

onix

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin
Wow those brands are a red flag even if u aren't on SF

+1 At least he should have listed Kenneth Cole IMO
 

ProfessorShak

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
353
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin
Wow those brands are a red flag even if u aren't on SF

I wouldn't say that. The people I speak to think J & M are high society shoes
and Kenneth Cole "Square toe" are the mark of a "Man with Style"


I've tried to help them change but I think I may need to change my friends.
 

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
1,152
Reaction score
1
I would think that shopping malls would have some Ralph Lauren shoes somewhere... also maybe find a Brooks Brothers or something. That i what i would be looking for if at a mall.

I have been to a mall twice in the past decade, however... so i am sure they are different from what a remember. (The mall statement does not count Woodbury Commons or Sawgrass Mills... i frequent both of those locations). The only mall in NYC (Manhattan) is midtown mall... and that really is not a mall at all. They have a few malls in Brooklyn/Queens but i have not been to them in a decade or more. I remember Kings Plaza was SUPER GHETTO!!!!


edit: i think i have been to a mall 3 times. i went to some mall in Jersey a few months ago. They had a lot of hot womenz there.
 

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
22,784
Reaction score
12,712
wait till you see your first post-SF credit card bill. that will add a whole different meaning to the term "ruined me"
 

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
3,614
Reaction score
4
...
 

Nexus6

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
741
Reaction score
5
What you now consider to be sub-standard (Johnston & Murphy, Rockports, etc)
are, in my opinion still perfect for rainy days!

Only a fool would deliberatly ruin a nice pair of Allen Edmonds (or higher)

Yesterday, I wore:
-Polo Ralph Lauren Polo Shirt (charcoal grey)
-Hunter Green Wale Chord jacket
-Blue Jeans (not faded)
-Rockport 'DresSport' Wingtips in a burnished Brown.

The young man at the pharmacy, profusely complimented me on the shoes!
'WOW man, those are so COOL. i LOVE Those shoes dude'
I said, 'These? are you serious?'

he said, 'YAA man I love the old school style of shoes'
I said, 'ahh...so you like wingtips'
he said, 'those style is my favourite style of all, yo man those rock!'
continuing 'every time I see you in here you always got on cool clothes, like expensive'

I said, 'well thank you for that compliment.'


Point is,
It only took a pair of Rockports to make him excited,
and that would represent 98% of men.

Don't under-estimate the power of a modestly priced shoe,
As long as it is in good condition, well treated & polished,
most people wouldn't know the difference.
 

ProfessorShak

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
353
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by HRoi
wait till you see your first post-SF credit card bill. that will add a whole different meaning to the term "ruined me"


Add to the bill:
Something expensive to minimize spousal resentment
 

sloane3

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
272
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Nexus6
What you now consider to be sub-standard (Johnston & Murphy, Rockports, etc)
are, in my opinion still perfect for rainy days!

Only a fool would deliberatly ruin a nice pair of Allen Edmonds (or higher)

Yesterday, I wore:
-Polo Ralph Lauren Polo Shirt (charcoal grey)
-Hunter Green Wale Chord jacket
-Blue Jeans (not faded)
-Rockport 'DresSport' Wingtips in a burnished Brown.

The young man at the pharmacy, profusely complimented me on the shoes!
'WOW man, those are so COOL. i LOVE Those shoes dude'
I said, 'These? are you serious?'

he said, 'YAA man I love the old school style of shoes'
I said, 'ahh...so you like wingtips'
he said, 'those style is my favourite style of all, yo man those rock!'
continuing 'every time I see you in here you always got on cool clothes, like expensive'

I said, 'well thank you for that compliment.'


Point is,
It only took a pair of Rockports to make him excited,
and that would represent 98% of men.

Don't under-estimate the power of a modestly priced shoe,
As long as it is in good condition, well treated & polished,
most people wouldn't know the difference.


Did you get his number?
 

anon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
1,325
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
Add to the bill:
Something expensive to minimize spousal resentment

so I'm not the only one whose wife dislikes the shoe craze? she has actually specifically told me that she prefers the square-toed shoes that I had and that I'm now trying to avoid. "Everyone else wears them," she says. Good luck trying to explain to her why just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's right.
 

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

  • Yes, I’m tacky like that.

  • No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

  • No watch at all.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
465,803
Messages
10,062,652
Members
210,107
Latest member
timothans
Top