YOU DECIDED THIS Fridays WAYWRN Challenge 1/21/10.. ANNOUNCED!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Jan 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tone76

tone76 Senior member

I agree. Heck, I remember Usenet and even that wasn't this bad. While the veterans are certainly responsible for some of this, some of the newbies are worse.
    I come for the advice; I stay for the snark. I suspect many of the newbies that decide to hop in tend to think the same way. This may explain a gradual increase in snark levels over time. Going back to a previous reply to my WAYWRN Rookie Challenge suggestion. I don't think it would need to be run once a week; I'm not sure if SF attracts enough newbies willing to put themselves out there week in, week out. Perhaps once a month? Or maybe once a quarter? They say that competition improves the breed. WAYWRN has a nice mix of competition and education. I know that I've learned some stuff from watching WAYWRN challenges, and I doubt I would have learned as much if the participants were not playing to win.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I know that I've learned some stuff from watching WAYWRN challenges, and I doubt I would have learned as much if the participants were not playing to win.

I am thankful someone feels this way. Makes my paycheck for these worth it. [​IMG]

3. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I am thankful someone feels this way. Makes my paycheck for these worth it. [​IMG]
    Spoo, it is true, however -- you are one of the few people who makes SF worth visiting these days. [​IMG]

4. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I agree his knowledge was vast. Just found EVERY thread had to include some vox snark. Overall on SF the snark seams to be increasing while the knowledge is decreasing.

Quality of snark and knowledge has decreased. Back in the day when the resident experts gave you comments, you laughed and you learned. Now you laugh and debate whether to bother posting.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Spoo, it is true, however -- you are one of the few people who makes SF worth visiting these days. [​IMG]

thanks, broham.
    [​IMG]

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Quality of snark and knowledge has decreased. Back in the day when the resident experts gave you comments, you laughed and you learned. Now you laugh and debate whether to bother posting.

Of course, by the same token...the quality of the resident "experts" has decreased as well.

7. SpooPoker

Damn, its a close one.... just over 12 hours left to voat!

8. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Of course, by the same token...the quality of the resident "experts" has decreased as well.

That's exactly my point.

9. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I used the think that. I don't any more. Reason? We appear to have very similar taste and from what I've seen we have a lot of overlap in clothing. However, Spoo rocks it better than me, so I hate him now [​IMG] . Seriously, between Spoo, MBreinin, Holdfast, PG, IST66, UC, NYR, YFYF, Upper and some VERY strong outfits from many others, I've been given inspiration and pointers on how to rock my look better than I was. I doubt that I would have got the balls to post pictures of me wearing stuff, but for some of the people above. They rock!!! [​IMG] However, it's a little disheartening to read some of the comments in threads. Sometimes, it appears more important to make the joke, or put the person down than to actually advise. A real shame. Clint

10. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

However, it's a little disheartening to read some of the comments in threads. Sometimes, it appears more important to make the joke, or put the person down than to actually advise. A real shame.

Completely agree.

11. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

However, it's a little disheartening to read some of the comments in threads. Sometimes, it appears more important to make the joke, or put the person down than to actually advise. A real shame.

It is when there is only snark without any substantial accompanying advice that it starts to grate.

12. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

I have been on a great many message boards in my day, and I have never found one where users didn't bitch about how the board used to be better and was going downhill.

13. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I have been on a great many message boards in my day, and I have never found one where users didn't bitch about how the board used to be better and was going downhill.

But does the bitching make the perception of degredation invalid?

14. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

It is when there is only snark without any substantial accompanying advice that it starts to grate.
    That is the point I'm making. When I came to SF, you'd have some "tough love" when you asked a question which wasn't really sensible, but genuine in its intent. But you got love. Now, the love is much less. But there's a lot of snark. And you're completely right, it does grate. Clint

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I am pulling for Budget or Groupthink. Although the FU SC was one of mine, I realized today that almost all of my FU stuff is SS oriented. [​IMG]

Mike