• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YOU DECIDED THIS Fridays WAYWRN Challenge 1/21/10.. ANNOUNCED!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tone76
On that note, at the risk of going (slightly) OT, I reckon a WAYWRN 'Rookie' Challenge could be fun. Open to posters that have less than a certain number of posts, or have participated in less than a certain number of WAYWRN challenges.
I really like this idea. More participation is always good. But it would leave those of us who spend far too much time on here with no challenge to play in!
smile.gif
Perhaps it could be done as an additional content one week? Say run a "Rookie Challenge" on Wednesday and then the usual open-to-all on Friday?
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Originally Posted by bleachboy
What is "Designed by Inspiration"?
So glad someone asked!
smile.gif
I was going to post a picture of something that was inspiring, and have the challengers create an outfit based on their interpretation of the picture.

That is a really cool idea, and it has earned my vote!

Totally. I love this idea.* Voted for it, alongside the Blue and Orange concepts. *Actually, it would be even more fun if WE could each choose a painting, or photo, or whatever, as the inspiration, post that original source in the thread and then come up with an outfit based on what we each choose. But I like the original concept too.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Varsity and JV winner^. Based on post count or join date. Something like that, not neccesarily quality of entrants. Could also have an overall winner if the newer guy happens to have done it the best that week. That may be getting too competitive for some, but this all seems to be in good fun to me.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
Although I miss Vox as well. I find it was his snark that has helped the landslide of comments on SF today.

I lurked on SF for a while before joining, and I must say that the snark on SF was just as bad in the pre-Vox days. One but need look at CE archives.

Vox had a good sense of humor, and while there was snark, there was also a lot of knowledge to share.

There seems to be a decline, both in terms of quality of posts and the quality of humor. Not to mention the WAYWRN outfits.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I lurked on SF for a while before joining, and I must say that the snark on SF was just as bad in the pre-Vox days. One but need look at CE archives.

Vox had a good sense of humor, and while there was snark, there was also a lot of knowledge to share.

There seems to be a decline, both in terms of quality of posts and the quality of humor. Not to mention the WAYWRN outfits.

SF is by far the snarkiest board I have ever been a member of, and I have been on dozens.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
SF is by far the snarkiest board I have ever been a member of, and I have been on dozens.

the snark is alpha as phuk

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Any idea what the "budget" will be? While it sounds like a lot, I'm sure most people will have trouble putting together an outfit that costs less than $500.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
Any idea what the "budget" will be? While it sounds like a lot, I'm sure most people will have trouble putting together an outfit that costs less than $500.

agreed but it will depend on the rules, if B&S and great finds off retail are allowed it will be easier

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin

I agree his knowledge was vast. Just found EVERY thread had to include some vox snark. Overall on SF the snark seams to be increasing while the knowledge is decreasing.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree his knowledge was vast. Just found EVERY thread had to include some vox snark. Overall on SF the snark seams to be increasing while the knowledge is decreasing.

i agree and i may be part of the problem sorry

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I also have another recommendation along those lines. I propose an entrance fee. I suggest that everyone who enters a weekly challenge accept, as his entrance "fee", an obligation to offer constructive criticism to at least three other entrants in that week's challenge.

I like this.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin

I agree. Heck, I remember Usenet and even that wasn't this bad. While the veterans are certainly responsible for some of this, some of the newbies are worse.

Yes, but you felt honored if you had the "Vox Snark Mark" on your post.
lol8[1].gif
But yes, I agree with you.

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I really like this idea. More participation is always good. But it would leave those of us who spend far too much time on here with no challenge to play in!
smile.gif

Perhaps it could be done as an additional content one week? Say run a "Rookie Challenge" on Wednesday and then the usual open-to-all on Friday?

Totally. I love this idea.*

Voted for it, alongside the Blue and Orange concepts.

*Actually, it would be even more fun if WE could each choose a painting, or photo, or whatever, as the inspiration, post that original source in the thread and then come up with an outfit based on what we each choose. But I like the original concept too.

Great idea -
fing02[1].gif

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
welcome to week 3 of the challenge.

its long changed from being what you want it to be, to what it is now. people will say no - it is still a challenge, but IMO most people post solely with a hope to win - which is why i started sitting them out.

however, i cant blame anyone - its just human nature for people to want to win/be recognized.

I wasn't aware of the original idea behind the challenges. Didn't they start as competitions between Americans and the rest of the world?

Anyway, I thought they were for fun.

RJE

Reaction score
It troubled me to see people trying to set up Challenges based on criteria they felt they could win. Prizes for all! I felt it was a way of helping people look differently at what they do - when you look over a year's worth of shots by an individual over a short time, you realise how narrow most of us are. I didn't upload it, but I pulled out a rarely-worn DB in the DB Challenge week, and received more compliments IRL than in a long time. It wasn't that the suit was great (although it is!); it was just that we sometimes get stuck in a rut without realising it. Contemplating the pin-stripe challenge, I really put some thought into how to match shirts and ties with pinstripes or chalkstripes. Some posters could have benefitted from similarly using their time!

Vox's absence didn't create the void - he left at a time the void was growing. When I created a thread for WAYWRN 2010, I started looking at the posting of many people, and realised a lot of well-known posters had stopped posting, but were still viewing SF almost daily.

Maybe a challenge such as Pretty as a Picture would draw Vox out - haven't seen the bowler for a while.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow - lots of good, meaningful discussion today!

The challenges did spawn from the Furriners v. Merikuns impromptu contest... however, in the absence of Vox's digest, I thought I could contribute something to the thread that provoked further thought on a narrower range of topics.. which is specifically why I called them "challenges", not "contests". In any competitive atmosphere, someone will want to win, however those who enter and lurk to learn, not only win, will gain the most from the challenge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads