• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You are Invited to the Styleforum Maker Space Artisan event in Florence, January 2018

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to invite everyone who will be in Florence this coming January to our event, concurrent with Pitti Uomo, in Florence.

Please come out and check out the work of the artisans that we will have in the multistory, luxury apartment that we rented in the heart of Florence (right near the Ponte Vecchio and Uffizi), and of course, help me and @UrbanComposition eat salumi and fresh mozzarelle from Naples, and drink our wine. We'll have a Sicilian tailor, a custom shirtmaker, custom shoemakers and leatherworkers, and @GIIN , with their beautiful miniature rose lapel pins. So, essentially everything you read and write about on Styleforum will be there, in the flesh.

Hope to meet many of you very soon.

Cheers,

Fok.

WHEN
JANUARY 9TH TO JANUARY 11TH 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.​

WHERE
FIRENZE VIA CHIASSO DEL BUCO 28R

RSVP
https://makerspace.splashthat.com/

ABOUT

This January, at Pitti Uomo 93 in Florence, Italy, Styleforum will be hosting its inaugural Maker Space. The Styleforum Maker Space is an open space designed to showcase the work of small brands and artisans interested in showing to both wholesale buyers and retail consumers. It is a combination pop-up shop and wholesale space, geared towards exhibiting fantastic small brands and makers to Pitti’s influential and knowledgeable visitors.

Many vendors, buyers, and visitors to Pitti Uomo are interested not just in wholesaling their wares or purchasing for stores, but also in taking the opportunity to shop for themselves. Our space offers small brands and makers a location in which to demonstrate their craft, showroom to wholesale customers, and sell immediately to attendees.

If you are attending Pitti Uomo, we invite you to visit the Styleforum Maker Space!

THESE ARE THE MAKERS YOU'RE GOING TO FALL IN LOVE WITH:

BELISARIO CAMICIE

Belisario’s story begins over a century ago, when the Belisario family started a bespoke shirtmaking business that Marco and Urania Belisario carried in the new century.

The concept of “su misura” is still the core value of the brand, which prides itself in working exclusively with the best Italian fabrics. Each shirt is carefully sewn by hand following 13 steps; this allows for a broad choice of personalized options that will make every shirt unique.

A.B.K.

Alya, began her career by taking classes in shoemaking, eventually finding a mentor in iconic sandal designer, Barbara Shaum. Inspired by her experience, Alya began making shoes on her own, recruiting occasional help frorJi her sister Katya and teaching her the craft along the way. Word began to spread, orders for shoes began to increase, and the business was born.
Their work has become known for impeccable craftsmanship, expanding well beyond shoes to leather items of all kinds, from the functional to the purely beautiful. Each piece starts with leather that is domestically sourced and tanned without chemicals. Katya and Alya hand-dye their own leather to achieve the exact color palette desired, then use alcohol water to saturate and stretch it before hand-stitching or stapling the pieces into place to dry.

GIIN
GIIN’s motto is “elevated essentials”. With their most recent launch, GIIN taps into the delicate realm of flowers and brings them to menswear. Their boutonnières are made of real flowers that have been taken from nature at the height of their glory; the miniature flowers have been disassembled and then positioned reborn as an object that exists in perpetuity. Rather than being beautiful for the sake of its impermanence, GIIN’s flowers are ascribed elegance as it lives after death.

WINSON INDONESIA

From the volcanic Islands of Indonesia, a hotbed of developing manufacturing at all levels, we’ve picked an artisan who puts his heart and expertise into his range of footwear; every pair is hand-stitched, and features the best quality Japanese leather on the market. Winson’s shoes and boots exhibit a timeless look while offering you the freedom to design them, and they a true hidden gem for classic shoe aficionados.

I SARTI ITALIANI
While Neapolitan, Milanese, and even Roman tailors are world-famous and respected, we can’t possibly ignore the fact that tailoring schools flourish all over Italy – even on the Southern island of Sicily.

Sicilian tailoring features the same, relaxed characteristic of Neapolitan tailoring, without the flairs typical of the Partenopean tradition. I Sarti Italiani offers bespoke solutions and blends Italian craftsmanship with unique Southern taste.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tagging @EFV , @Leaves and @gdl203 , since I know that you will be in Florence at the time. Please feel free to tag anyone who you know may be in Florence during Pitti, or anyone who might want to come!

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not exactly my understanding of the term "maker space" but it sounds great. Looking forward to photos.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not exactly my understanding of the term "maker space" but it sounds great. Looking forward to photos.
Yeah, I know, but I appropriated the term. And we hope that the artisans will work, or at least demonstrate their work, in the space. That was the genesis of the term.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooooo looking forward to this, especially the mozzarella.
Same. The Isaia booth had some killer mushrooms in olive oil which I hope to be able to get as well. And of course, good salumi and olives. And bruschetta.

Personally, I hope that our Sicilian tailor will bring some Sicilian cannoli, which really is the best cannoli.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No way. Cannoli are only good when fresh. Besides, what you really want is cassatella; you just don’t know it yet :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way. Cannoli are only good when fresh. Besides, what you really want is cassatella; you just don’t know it yet :)
Bro, if it is deep fried and involves ricotta, I probably do know it...

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will there be very vintage fabrics?

Libations to quench ancient thirsts?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's where I think it is the bar downstairs has an excellent wine selection.

So the sartorial symposium you crave can be there.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will there be very vintage fabrics?
Libations to quench ancient thirsts?

If it's where I think it is the bar downstairs has an excellent wine selection.
So the sartorial symposium you crave can be there.

Vintage fabrics I cannot guarantee, but we'll have some good wine on hand (as well as water, that much sought after commodity during Pitti Uomo), so you'll be able to quench your thirsts. ancient or otherwise.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arianna, aka our advance party, has now arrived in Italy. She is Italian, and is in charge of all the logistics, since 1) She speaks italian and is therefore much more capable of getting things organized than am 1, 2) She didn't love my choice of Middle Eastern food at the last trunk show, and so we are apparently importing mozzarella from Naples.

We will also doubtless also have copious amounts of salumi and cheese, and fresh bread every day. In the mornings, if you need a snack before hitting Pitti Uomo, I'll be keeping the place stocked with pastries and especially Sfoglia from Caffe Neri, just over the Ponte Vecchio in Oltrano, an outpost of one of the best bakeries in Florence, led by pastry master Simone Bellesi. They have apple, custard (my favorite) and apple custard for those who have trouble deciding!

Tell us 1) What goods you'd like to see from each of our artisans (e.g. from www.abknyc.com for Alya's leather goods - she does custom work for very reasonably prices - I have custom bag for about $700 from her:) and what food you'd like us to stock as well!

ABKNYC bag stock.jpg

Cheers,

Fok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads