• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

You ALDEN HATERS Are Gonna Have Mixed Feelings Re: This Thread **NOW RESOLVED 2/28**

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My whiskey shell LWBs and ravello shell LWBs after just ONE wear each. Both on the inside left vamp. Same stitching coming out.

Recommendations? One is from Alden SF, the other, Shoemart.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Contact Alden to get them fixed.

I've had it happen on a pair of calkskin indy boots where I easily fixed it on my own, but that would be a bit more difficult with shell.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Contact Alden to get them fixed.

I've had it happen on a pair of calkskin indy boots where I easily fixed it on my own, but that would be a bit more difficult with shell.

+1. Yes, contact Alden.

JakeLA

Reaction score
I've been wearing shoes almost my entire adult life and that's never happened to me.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contact Alden. They will fix them. Judging by the pictures I've seen of similar fixes, I'd say the quality of repair varies from "fairly good" to "total shit". Your shoes look brand new, and I hope Alden is able to fix them to your satisfaction.

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JakeLA
I've been wearing shoes almost my entire adult life and that's never happened to me.

Almost???

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they will do a good job...seems like a simple fix, and if they don't, I'll just find a local guy to do it. Just sucks I'm gonna be without them for weeks...

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been one of several recent posts that makes me think Alden's quality has dropped a notch. Maybe I'll stay with C&J and other english brands.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guero
Almost???
Was just thinking the same thing as I read that comment.
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I'm sure they will do a good job...seems like a simple fix, and if they don't, I'll just find a local guy to do it. Just sucks I'm gonna be without them for weeks...

I'd be curious to find out what Alden says when you call them. It seems pretty ridiculous to me that so called well made shoe would come apart that easily. -LR

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PM Nick V and get his thoughts.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by watchcollector2454
damn... that really sucks :/

SAME THING HAPPENED TO MY #8 LONGWINGS.

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Have had same problem with 2 pair alden, each time a $6 fix at cobbler. No big. Granted, shouldn't happen, but as QC problems go it's a minor annoyance.

Originally Posted by Achilles_
This has been one of several recent posts that makes me think Alden's quality has dropped a notch. Maybe I'll stay with C&J and other english brands.

I wouldn't let is stop you from buying Alden. I know people like to talk about their faults a lot, but I think thats overblown. I have had (and still have most) about 10 pair of Aldens and these were the first problems I've had.

If AR Six has it right, I won't be too upset. I'd rather pay the $12 than have to ship and wait for these to get fixed.

You think this is a result of all of their collab work? Maybe their "House Shoes" suffer because their focus is now on what they produce in small batches for designers.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't let is stop you from buying Alden. I know people like to talk about their faults a lot, but I think thats overblown. I have had (and still have most) about 10 pair of Aldens and these were the first problems I've had.

If AR Six has it right, I won't be too upset. I'd rather pay the $12 than have to ship and wait for these to get fixed.

You think this is a result of all of their collab work? Maybe their "House Shoes" suffer because their focus is now on what they produce in small batches for designers.

Good to know. I haven't had the pleasure of owning Aldens (they seem more expensive than foreign shoe brands on the eBay, brand recognition maybe?)

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.