1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yoox

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Sep 19, 2002.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, it seems that the European online designer discounter is now open to business in the United States. I checked it out. The prices were reasonable for the brands sold, but not remarkable. Not surprisingly, the Belgian, French, and Japanese designers were the worst deals (I can do much better here at sale time), and the Italian designers were the best deals, although, on average less than 40% off retail - about as good as the holiday sales, and substantially worse than the after Christmas sales. Also, the sale sections don't appear to be open for American business.

Surprisingly, the best deals were not on the big ticket items like coats and suits, but on shoes, ties and shirts. I think that their selection of shoes was terrific, as were their inclusion of lesser known designers like Carol Christian Poell. Of course, I'm extremely happy that they include sartorial eye candy by Yamamoto, Margiela and Paul Smith as well as more serviceable pieces by Helmut Lang and mainline designers like Prada, Yves SL, Gucci. The best deals: Costume National. If you want basics with great cutting, this is the brand for you. Just remember that it's generally a good idea to order a size up. Costume National cuts for the extreme ectomorph.

I bought an item, just to see how good their fulfillment centers is. Three days from Italy to California. Pretty good time, though the box was a little smushed (the shirt doesn't care. Shoes or a suit might.)

Has anyone else visited the site? Comments?

2. davei

davei Senior Member

Yeah, I always thought of them as the European Bluefly with a slightly better selection [​IMG] Nothing jumps out at me though, except for the $186 Levi's jeans. Jeez. Are there any mass market European jeans that command high prices in North America, but are ridiculously cheap in their native country? G-Star? APC? Diesel?

3. LA Guy

Actually, the Levi's on YOOX are probably from the "Levi's Vintage" line. The prices here are about $150-200, but there are pieces that go for much higher, although $186 does seem awefully steep by any stretch of the imagination. Diesels are about or a little less than twice their price in Germany, and I imagine that they are even cheaper in Italy, and I've heard the Energie Jeans are about the equivalent of $60US in Europe, as are Replay jeans. It goes to show that brand positioning is undoubtedly more important than cost when prices are set.

Personally, I think that the American made premium jeans can stand up to nearly anything from Europe. I've harped about PDC on this forum a lot (by far the best quality denim and most sophisticated finishes of the lot) but I think that Levi's Premium (especially their new "resin painted" line) also stands up to and beats the tar out of Energie, GSTAR (although, admittedly, GSTAR makes some crazy cuts) and Diesel, both in terms of style and in terms of quality.

I am partial to A.P.C. jeans, but they are really nothing special either. On the other hand, there are plenty of home grown overpriced duds too. The new Earl line, for example, though serviceable, is remarkably uninteresting. And Marc Jacob's Marc line I don't find worth the asking price of $138 a pair.

I actually like the selection on YOOX much more than that on Bluefly, but I think that the actual choice of items is comparable. The product mix at YOOX is, however, far less conservative than that on Bluefly (i.e. I'll buy clothes I'll actually enjoy from YOOX. If I need an interview suit, though, I might just pick up a sturdy, dependable (just like me.) Jhane Barnes from Bluefly.)

4. pstoller

pstoller Senior Member

I like the selection on Yoox better, too, but not the prices. Bluefly still has better deals, and also a better user interface. (The Yoox site is more attractive, but the Bluefly one is more informative and practical for actual shopping.)

As for deluxe denim pricing, I think it's gotten out of control. I can't see myself spending much more the $50 for a pair of jeans, and that price cap hasn't kept me from assembling a fairly snazzy jeans wardrobe (PDC, Lang, Margiela, Energie, etc.). I can go out and buy vintage Levi's 501s for around $10; why would I pay @$200 for "Levi's Vintage" jeans? I've seen 'em; they're not THAT cool.

5. LA Guy

I've recently upped the price I'm willing to pay for a *really* cool pair of jeans, mainly because the choice of jeans under $80 was becoming more and more limited, so I agree wholeheartedly that the price of premium jeans has become pretty outrageous, the Levi's Vintage line being a prime example.

BTW, have you seen the YOOX size conversion chart? There are glaring errors.

6. pstoller

pstoller Senior Member

Yeah, it's not a great chart by any means. Of course, sizing from designer to designer is so different, "universal" equivalencies are at best a rough guide, anyway. Designer menswear is starting to get as stupid as women's when it comes to sizing.

You mentioned Costume National, which is not only cut extra slim, but is not even wholly consistent within the product line. And can someone explain to me why a man with a 30" waist has to buy a size 28 in Diesel jeans? Is this just the bad influence of hip-hop jeans, emulating ill-fitting prison clothes by having your waistband fall down to your crotch? Or is it now supposed to flatter men that their pants size is smaller?

7. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

Well, the prices at Yoox aren't always superlow. Sort of.

Cheaper than retail, yes. Cheaper than retail sales prices, sometimes. Some of the stuff is exorbitantly priced. I found some shoes I bought at a sale for twice what I paid for them. Last winter's shoes at 40% off is not exactly a steal.

Still, if you know what you're looking for and check in often you might find some good deals. I've bought some excellent knitwear which was about 70% off.

And while we're on the subject of knitwear, I recently found some fabulous, basic black cashmere sweaters on sale at half price at a Mulberry store. Basic black cashmere usually isn't on sale or is gone the second the sale starts IME. Yay.

8. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

just checked out the site and saw a very nice selection which definitely beat's bluefly's. right now i'm looking for a nice long-sleeve club shirt/sweater, something flashy and modern to wear out on evenings, and i think i might pick something up from yoox. i've been looking mostly at costume national and the d&g/dolce & gabbana selections, but i don't really know enough to tell a good deal from a ripoff and unfamiliar with a lot of the less well-known brands. hopefully someone could give me some general recommendations on what brands and designs are the best deals there. i'm an M, and i don't really want to spend more than $100 if anyone wants to go as far as recommending a specific piece. thanks. so far i've thought this d&g shirt (the picture doesn't look blue like the site claims though), this d&g shirt, this costume shirt, and this dolce & gabbana shirt, were all nice but I can't tell if those are good deals worth getting or not. Well, doh, I guess the links don't work after all. I'll just describe them so you can take a look #1 is a wool d&g shirt with a dark blue/black on gray pattern and contrasting solid navy cuffs and collar for $107. i think i like this one the most of them all. #2 is a long sleeve d&g shirt for $88 (the shirt pictured is azure blue, but apparently they have it in black). #3 is a long sleeve navy Costume National shirt for $91. #4 is a dark gray long sleeve Dolce & Gabbana shirt for $127.

9. LA Guy

I would say that the best deals in shirts, based on my knowledge of retail prices, that the Jil Sander shirts are probably the best deal. They have several shirts on the site which are selling at $115-$130, which retailed for between $310 and $370 last winter. Despite widespread criticism of the label now that Jil has left her own company, especially on forums such as this one and in the fashion press, it would be easy to conclude that the label is inferior, when in fact their quality is still quite good, although not as good as in the glory days, when Menichetti was in charge of menswear.

You might want to look at the black tuxedo style shirt ($115) and a stretch black shirt ($130) on the YOOX site. I have the tuxedo shirt in white. The pleated front and french cuffs on the tuxedo shirt lend visual interest (remember that it's impossible to see hand stitching and other fussy details at a darkened table), while the stretch fabric of the other shirt make in more able to endure the rigors of an evening out (a plain cotton shirt looks pretty soiled after a couple of hours of the dance floor.) And you can't go wrong with a little bit of black in the evening wardrobe. Just don't wear the black suit, black shirt and a scarlet tie ensemble unless you want to look like an extra from Goodfellas, or, more to the point, like those poor suckers in line outside the clubs in Century City.

10. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

Aybojs I couldn't see the shirts you linked, all the links went to just the front page. I would say to check out a Nordstrom Rack (or Saks Off 5th, Last Call Neiman, etc.) for I've found the D&G french-cuff floral print shirt, with the D&G graffiti written all over it, at the Rack for only $109 in my area. If you don't have one near you then may I suggest you check out the company Custo Barcelona, for I think they make some of the most enjoyable shirts out there (especially for clubing since they have REALLY flashy patterns and prints). Check out the site www.toptops.com to get a look at some of their collection.

11. pstoller

pstoller Senior Member

Not directly, no. However, I managed to copy the URLs to the clipboard in Explorer and paste them directly into the address field, and that worked. So, I saw the shirts. Now, if only I had an opinion on them...

12. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

I guess the links don't work after all.
    Not directly, no. However, I managed to copy the URLs to the clipboard in Explorer and paste them directly into the address field, and that worked. So, I saw the shirts. Now, if only I had an opinion on them...
    This works for me: open http://www.yoox.com/us/index.asp and keep the window open. Now you're able to simply click the links in the previous post.

13. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

hm, the black tuxedo shirt definitely looks sweet, especially since i'm starting to grow fond of french cuffs, but it's a 16 and i'm only a 15.5/15.75, and while the shirt would be wearable for me, i'm afraid it would look noticeably large and baggy on me regardless of how jil sander's sizes run; same goes for the stretch shirt. as for the outlet suggestions, i'm in a suburban college town and i don't have a car so online shopping (i.e. bluefly, yoox, etc) is pretty much my only option.

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

Which is the higher line, Valentino or Valentino Roma? They have some nice things ont he yoox site, but the site itself is pretty bad. Regardless of their return policy, it would be nice to have a bit more information than large for a pair of pants. What does large mean? Don't these people know about waist sizes?

15. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

I doubt that Yoox determines the sizes. If a garment is labelled L that's what they'll put on their site.