• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yoox - which are your favorite unknown brands?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Which one did you get? If they're OOS, you can always sell it to me.
devil.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
That's because Yoox routinely screws up pant sizing. Usually a '36' means a Euro size 46. Which is to say, small.

They specify what the manufacturer's tag says. 46Eu is just that (30 waist or thereabouts). If it is in jean's sizing, or "universal sizing," that is obvious as well. Of course, brands do vary in sizing conventions, but that is just life, right?

ineffable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I wouldn't say it's a screw-up. They are an Italian company, so it makes sense that they would use European conventions. The world doesn't revolve around America and its conventions...

It is an error. When using the US site it shows the "converted size". So it will list a pair of size 46(italian) as a size 36(US), when in reality it is a size 30(US). Their size-conversion method is wrong.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ineffable
It is an error. When using the US site it shows the "converted size". So it will list a pair of size 46(italian) as a size 36(US), when in reality it is a size 30(US). Their size-conversion method is wrong.

They don't convert to jeans sizing, but rather use "suit" sizing. A EU46 equals a US36, so Yoox is correct. And even when they convert the size, they still list what the actual tag says as well.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is not an error. They just happen to use Italian suit sizing for dressier pants (hence the need to deduct 10+6=16 from the listed suit size) and regular US pants sizing for some others.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
That's because Yoox routinely screws up pant sizing. Usually a '36' means a Euro size 46. Which is to say, small.
A french 46 is a german 50 is a us 34jeans is a 40R ... Italians usualy have 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ...

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
It is not an error. They just happen to use Italian suit sizing for dressier pants (hence the need to deduct 10+6=16 from the listed suit size) and regular US pants sizing for some others.

Babar and Whacked have it right. They do use the US suit size; it's probably because that's what's often reported on the labels. For many Italian manufactured trousers, they report on the label the Italian suit size for the trousers, the US suit size, and possibly the Japanese size (if it's for export to Japan or internationally). For non-Americans, we don't expect trouser sizing to always be reported in US jeans sizing...

ineffable

Reaction score
They would be right if every suit had a drop 6 - but they don't. North American conventions (ie. the NA versions of the yoox site) would be more correct listing a 46eu as a size 30, since that is what they are.

In any case, I know I wouldn't go in to a store and ask for a pair of pants based on my suit size. So it's still a problem/minor nuissance, in my mind.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They would be right if every suit had a drop 6 - but they don't. North American conventions (ie. the NA versions of the yoox site) would be more correct listing a 46eu as a size 30, since that is what they are.

In any case, I know I wouldn't go in to a store and ask for a pair of pants based on my suit size. So it's still a problem/minor nuissance, in my mind.

It is much more confusing when a retailer makes up his own convention, which may or may not be generally I actually wrote to Yoox several times before they changed to their current system. In the older system, they did as you said, and "converted" everything to a US approximation. Unfortunately, they did not state the designer sizing. This caused mass confusion, since there are disagreements about what size EU corresponds to what size US corresponds to what size in the French system. It's much better to just state the size given by the designer, and let the consumer educate himself on both the sizing conventions and the foibles of that particular designer.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's complicated further by the fact that Yoox itself is inconsistent in how they list & translate sizes. I ordered a suit last year on final sale that they listed as a 46 Euro/36 American. In fact, it was a 56/46. It took nearly 2 weeks of wrangling with them to get them to admit the mistake and accept the return.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...It's much better to just state the size given by the designer said:
I'd definitely agree with that. Every designers' clothing fits slightly differently, and it will very from season to season. I think it's even worse for women's clothing. My wife is a Italian 38 or 40, depending on the cut. This roughly translates to a US size 4. However, while we were living in America, she found that she had to buy "Petite US size 4" for some of the "mall brands," because apparently US 4 isn't a really a 4, and they have "petite" and non-petite sizing. What a mess. It doesn't really make any sense to me!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads