• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yoox supply

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't locate a thread on this topic.

There is a lot of talk that some discounters, including Gilt and outlet centers (BB, BR, etc.) have their supplies make a separate secondary, lower quality line for these discount sections. I was wondering if anyone knows if Yoox does the same or if they are truly just post-season and unsold items from dept stores? I would assume that Yoox items are all "firsts" since their supply for each is so limited?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are missing a couple of things here. First quality ("firsts") vs. second quality ("seconds") is not the same as made for an outlet.

Not everything at outlets or Gilt is lower quality, made-for-outlet merchandise.

I've ordered quite a few things from Yoox. I have never received anything that I believed was made specifically for Yoox or second quality.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second the above. I believe Yoox is just past season merchandise, often sourced from various countries. I bought a pair of Prada shoes a few years ago with the tags/labels all in Russian. They probably just have so much stuff since they have a good network of consolidators of previous season goods. Some of the stuff you can tell is quite a few seasons old.

My only real gripe about Yoox is the horrible pictures.

alphaO888

Reaction score
if you ever see "made for outlet" inventory, it will always be marked differently than the main line inventory, something added to the name, etc. For example I think the Brooks Brothers made for outlet has some number appended on their tags...

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'll take a close look at Yoox stuff.

I agree, Yoox is also a nightmare to navigate, which is why I rarely buy anything from them. I think if they upgraded their user interface the site could skyrocket in sales and approachability. I used to use their website a lot when I first found out about it (7 years ago?) but since Gilt came out, I've switched to Gilt and just going to dept stores during the annual sales. It's a shame, b/c Yoox has so much potential due to their massive supply but it's almost impossible to find anything on their website.

They also don't give much description of their goods and it isn't even available if you ask. I remember emailing them about a RL suit they had many months ago that looked like it was a RLBL anthony cut. They didn't specify which line it was from and the tags didn't show. The suit was marked at a "normal" yoox price of $1400 marked down to sale of $700 or so, so I assumed it might potentially be RLBL. However, when I emailed to ask if the suit was RLBL, RLPL, or PRL, the rep told me it was not possible for them to look it up since they have too many goods in their warehouses... Was kind of surprised at the response, considering they need to look it up when they end up selling it!

First quality ("firsts") vs. second quality ("seconds") is not the same as made for an outlet.
Thanks for pointing that out. I realize that but am using "seconds" as a shorthand for "made for outlet" because I figure it's easier that way, although I guess "seconds" should be reserved for factory rejects/flawed.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'll take a close look at Yoox stuff. I agree, Yoox is also a nightmare to navigate, which is why I rarely buy anything from them. I think if they upgraded their user interface the site could skyrocket in sales and approachability. I used to use their website a lot when I first found out about it (7 years ago?) but since Gilt came out, I've switched to Gilt and just going to dept stores during the annual sales. It's a shame, b/c Yoox has so much potential due to their massive supply but it's almost impossible to find anything on their website. They also don't give much description of their goods and it isn't even available if you ask. I remember emailing them about a RL suit they had many months ago that looked like it was a RLBL anthony cut. They didn't specify which line it was from and the tags didn't show. The suit was marked at a "normal" yoox price of $1400 marked down to sale of $700 or so, so I assumed it might potentially be RLBL. However, when I emailed to ask if the suit was RLBL, RLPL, or PRL, the rep told me it was not possible for them to look it up since they have too many goods in their warehouses... Was kind of surprised at the response, considering they need to look it up when they end up selling it! Thanks for pointing that out. I realize that but am using "seconds" as a shorthand for "made for outlet" because I figure it's easier that way, although I guess "seconds" should be reserved for factory rejects/flawed.
See, I never get this criticism of yoox (and its one that SFers have hurled ever since I joined). They get thousands of things each season... and in addition to not having all the info about the brands (like, how would they know what an "anthony" cut is?) if they took the time to do all that many here want, they couldn't offer the prices or the selection that they do. Literally hundreds/thousands of brands, and tens of thousands of items, that change every six months. If you want to pay 40% more for the items, then yeah, I'm sure they can do a lot better job giving clearer information, multiple pics, measurements, etc. Further, given their presence in dozens of countries... HOW would they do all these measurements and such? And, there are different lines available in different countries, and called different "cuts." They are also supposed to keep up with all of these for every country they are in... and STILL offer the discounts they do? I think Yoox is great for what it is, and though I think to use it well, you have to do your own homework, it's worth it. Anyway, yoox isn't like Gilt; AFAIK, they just get closeouts from stores all over Europe and such. As another said about a Russian item... I got a bag with Greek tags.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, I never get this criticism of yoox (and its one that SFers have hurled ever since I joined). They get thousands of things each season... and in addition to not having all the info about the brands (like, how would they know what an "anthony" cut is?) if they took the time to do all that many here want, they couldn't offer the prices or the selection that they do.

Literally hundreds/thousands of brands, and tens of thousands of items, that change every six months. If you want to pay 40% more for the items, then yeah, I'm sure they can do a lot better job giving clearer information, multiple pics, measurements, etc. Further, given their presence in dozens of countries... HOW would they do all these measurements and such? And, there are different lines available in different countries, and called different "cuts." They are also supposed to keep up with all of these for every country they are in... and STILL offer the discounts they do?

I think Yoox is great for what it is, and though I think to use it well, you have to do your own homework, it's worth it. Anyway, yoox isn't like Gilt; AFAIK, they just get closeouts from stores all over Europe and such. As another said about a Russian item... I got a bag with Greek tags.
Yes, I realize that they keep prices low because of that. My question to them was not for a specific cut or measurement though. It was purely "which brand line is the suit", which I thought was reasonable, and still think is a reasonable question before dropping $700 on a suit (even at a discount). On their website, they had listed it as "ralph lauren" but that could mean any of the different RL lines, which makes a huge difference.

I'm glad to hear from mutiple people that they get closeouts, makes me much more comfortable about buying from them.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
See, I never get this criticism of yoox (and its one that SFers have hurled ever since I joined). They get thousands of things each season... and in addition to not having all the info about the brands (like, how would they know what an "anthony" cut is?) if they took the time to do all that many here want, they couldn't offer the prices or the selection that they do.

Literally hundreds/thousands of brands, and tens of thousands of items, that change every six months. If you want to pay 40% more for the items, then yeah, I'm sure they can do a lot better job giving clearer information, multiple pics, measurements, etc. Further, given their presence in dozens of countries... HOW would they do all these measurements and such? And, there are different lines available in different countries, and called different "cuts." They are also supposed to keep up with all of these for every country they are in... and STILL offer the discounts they do?

I think Yoox is great for what it is, and though I think to use it well, you have to do your own homework, it's worth it. Anyway, yoox isn't like Gilt; AFAIK, they just get closeouts from stores all over Europe and such. As another said about a Russian item... I got a bag with Greek tags.

+1

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
Yes, I realize that they keep prices low because of that. My question to them was not for a specific cut or measurement though. It was purely "which brand line is the suit", which I thought was reasonable, and still think is a reasonable question before dropping $700 on a suit (even at a discount). On their website, they had listed it as "ralph lauren" but that could mean any of the different RL lines, which makes a huge difference. I'm glad to hear from mutiple people that they get closeouts, makes me much more comfortable about buying from them.
I see what you mean.
smile.gif
But, I'm sure they've priced/studied the cost difference in just shipping you the item and taking the return if it isn't what you thought (as they have an excellent returns policy) vs. having the extra staff/infrastructure required to get that kind of info from their warehouses... even something as simple as telling you the brand/line. Overall, I'd say given their volume of product and such, they probably employ relatively few people and those that they DO employ aren't fashion-people who could know. For example, RLBL just says "Ralph Lauren" on the tags, so how would a minimum-wage-ish warehouse stocker in rural Italy be able to tell? Or, would they employ a brand-manager to take these calls? And, even then, how would these people be able to keep up with the 1000s of brands Yoox carries? How can they tell RLPL, RLBL, etc., when they all just say "Ralph Lauren" in different scripts. Valentino Tailoring, Valentino RED, Valentino ROMA, Valentino Sport, Valentino Garavani... are they going to have 2-year training sessions for their warehouse staff?
lol8[1].gif
Again, somewhere these extra costs have to be made up, and I'm sure they've figured that this model is the one that works best for them. Of course, I'd LOVE if they had better descriptions, as probably 30-40% of my Yoox purchased items get returned. BUT, I don't mind because the prices are good and they have good returns. I pay for B&M service at B&Ms, and I don't want to pay that for Yoox or expect it. Given your habits, you are probably the kind of shopper who best does what you already mentioned... i.e. use smaller-volume sites (like Gilt) and sales at department stores. EDIT: For a short while, with suits/jackets, I remember Yoox used to have a photo of the model holding the jacket open so the label showed. I don't know why they don't do that anymore, as that could solve a lot of issues and let the customer see for themselves.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in short - if you know exactly what the item you're looking at is, and your size in it, yoox owns.

everyone has their go-to brands where they like almost everything in the collection, know their exact size, etc. stick to those in your yoox search and you'll do just fine

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real seconds would have to be marked seconds. Yoox prices are actually high for what seconds often sell for. OTOH I can't imagine buying seconds on line. You never know why an item is a second until you've handled it. Yoox seems to be running online shops for various brands now. You would think that means they have access to stuff. Some of the cheaper stuff is fairly old. http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/ERMENE...A/sts/sr_men80 How long has it been since Zegna Soft was sold? OTOH the newer Zegna stuff is more expensive then the Zegna owned BM outlet. Quite a bit more in some cases.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yoox doesn't just have second-hand goods from normal department stores. I've seen weird, obscure brands like Canadian house-brand Harry Rosen on there (it has no business at a US second-market mass retailer) and others I can't think of.

There was someone on here at one point I remember who either worked for a designer or quoted one he knew saying they recognized their (authentic) pieces turning up on Yoox from multiple seasons ago and they had no idea how the merchandise was acquired.

I'm sure Yoox's buyers have a wealth of different contacts and sources. Look at all the different countries they ship to, and each country (or at least region) has a slightly different selection of items.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
Yoox doesn't just have second-hand goods from normal department stores. I've seen weird, obscure brands like Canadian house-brand Harry Rosen on there (it has no business at a US second-market mass retailer) and others I can't think of. There was someone on here at one point I remember who either worked for a designer or quoted one he knew saying they recognized their (authentic) pieces turning up on Yoox from multiple seasons ago and they had no idea how the merchandise was acquired. I'm sure Yoox's buyers have a wealth of different contacts and sources. Look at all the different countries they ship to, and each country (or at least region) has a slightly different selection of items.
+1, I also see things regularly from lines like Valentino Jeans and Ferre Studio, which haven't existed for nearly a decade. Also, Yoox acts as an "outlet" for certain brands directly, like Claudio Orciani. I forget the others I remember reading about... but there were several different brands.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yoox also runs Margiela's online store. I wonder if that means they now gets dibs on liquidations?
puzzled.gif

Roscius

Reaction score
question is, why the frack cant I buy the same things if I am from Australia. ANGRY

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads