• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yoox Canada -- Serious problem

FloreatDomus

Reaction score
I hadn't bought anything from Yoox for a bit over a year. Back then, their Canadian prices included taxes and customs -- you paid the price of the item and shipping, but nothing else, and no further fees were ever an issue. And when you returned things, Yoox reimbursed the entire price, so all you were out was the cost of shipping (and the minor restocking fee -- $5).

They've now changed the system. The prices displayed do NOT include tax and customs anymore. Both are quoted before you pay, however (and are therefore presumably collected by Yoox or their agents). And there's still no risk of additional fees on delivery.

But here's the catch (and unless you go through the fine print, you'd never know). When you return items, Yoox still only reimburses the item's displayed price. They do not refund tax and customs fees.

I just discovered this the hard way: having returned two fairly large orders, I'm now out close to $400. I'll call Yoox tomorrow to complain, but I suspect they'll refer me to their terms and conditions, where they do indeed share the following splendid news: "YOOX will refund to You the purchase price only (i.e. not any customs, import duties and GST tax, nor any original shipping costs nor any restocking fee)" -- a qualification, it may be worth noting, which they do not include in their Return Policy, but hide in the midst of a long paragraph of the General Terms and Conditions of Sale.

Has anyone run into this before? Any idea how Yoox can get away with such a policy? They collect those fees on behalf of the Canadian government -- does that mean they will now forward my $400 to my government for purchases I did not in fact complete? How can that be legal? It's not like Harry Rosen would only refund me the price of a returned item but hang on to the HST -- so why can Yoox?

Given that Yoox's business model depends on customers trying items on at home safe in the knowledge that they can always easily return them at a low cost, how will they get away with this new approach? Since they don't post measurements and seem incapable of taking decent photos, why would anyone repeatedly gamble on the fit (and look!) of their merchandize if the possible loss has now skyrocketed from $25 to hundreds of dollars?

Any advice/similar stories, anyone?

Wayward

Reaction score
If you have all the receipts and have proof of return, try applying for an Adjustment with the Canadian Border Services Agency:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dispute-contestation-eng.html#c1

Under reasons, tick "Goods returned to sender/exported", include all the receipts from purchase, and all receipts showing proof of return. This would include the return postage, confirmation of receipt by Yoox and proof of refund for the items. Also, try to write something coherent to explain the situation, which I'm sure will be very helpful to the Border Agent. Don't forget to include the CBSA Import number and document.

I've done this once where I bought something from the UK and later sent it back. I ultimately did get a refund from CBSA.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a suit from them recently without checking for changes to the terms of service -- in hindsight that was a mistake, but I have ordered so much from Yoox I didn't even think of it. If I need to return it and they do not refund me the full amount paid they are going to get a major earful.

Wayward, thanks for that info. Can you comment on the duration of the process through CBSA?

UPDATE: I just called Yoox. "At this time, if duties and taxes were paid on an order, we are able to refund the full amount. Give us a call when you decide to make the return, give us the order number, and the full amount will be refunded all together."

The guy I spoke with said their legal people are still ironing out the international terms and conditions which might account for conflicting info. Just be polite on the phone, you should get exactly what you want.

Last edited:

hrv123

Reaction score
Wow, that's brutal!

I used to buy from Yoox quite often but have stopped since they started charging exorbitant custom's fees (>30%). I had no idea that they wouldn't reimburse custom's fees. Please let us know how your complaint pans out.

Upcharging Canadian customers seems to be a recent trend amongst e-retailers. Until recently, farfetch.com charged US and Canadian customers essentially the same (custom's fees included) for products. The surcharge for Canadian purchases is now about 15-20%.

Two more retailers from whom I won't be buying or at least having items shipped to Canada.

We Canadians definitely get gouged.

sask boot

Reaction score
I used to buy from Yoox but with this system I would only buy something if it went on deep discount. At this time you might as well buy it from a regular shop because there are no savings.

HughJ

Reaction score

If you have all the receipts and have proof of return, try applying for an Adjustment with the Canadian Border Services Agency:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dispute-contestation-eng.html#c1

Under reasons, tick "Goods returned to sender/exported", include all the receipts from purchase, and all receipts showing proof of return. This would include the return postage, confirmation of receipt by Yoox and proof of refund for the items. Also, try to write something coherent to explain the situation, which I'm sure will be very helpful to the Border Agent. Don't forget to include the CBSA Import number and document.

I've done this once where I bought something from the UK and later sent it back. I ultimately did get a refund from CBSA.

+1. I've never ordered from Yoox, but this worked for me in a similar situation.

FloreatDomus

Reaction score
UPDATE: I just called Yoox. "At this time, if duties and taxes were paid on an order, we are able to refund the full amount. Give us a call when you decide to make the return, give us the order number, and the full amount will be refunded all together."

The guy I spoke with said their legal people are still ironing out the international terms and conditions which might account for conflicting info. Just be polite on the phone, you should get exactly what you want.

Same for me, so I'll modify my outrage: I'm glad they're willing to reimburse what wasn't theirs to keep in the first place when asked, but I still think it's outrageous that they wouldn't do this automatically -- I'm just going to assume that if I hadn't pestered them, they would just have pocketed my taxes. Sneaking suspicion tells me that they're unlikely to forward HST on returned items to the Canadian/Ontario government....

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yoox used to be good value, I occasionally bought items from them. Returns were always free and very easy. But now every time I look, seems like almost everything is really expensive. Presumably they're now trying to maximise profits by any means they can, like not refunding sales tax on returned items.

Last edited:

MTLinStyle

Reaction score

Same for me, so I'll modify my outrage: I'm glad they're willing to reimburse what wasn't theirs to keep in the first place when asked, but I still think it's outrageous that they wouldn't do this automatically -- I'm just going to assume that if I hadn't pestered them, they would just have pocketed my taxes. Sneaking suspicion tells me that they're unlikely to forward HST on returned items to the Canadian/Ontario government....

Spoken with Yoox regarding returns forbthe orders placed in early August. They originally refunded only the cost of items (-$5). They agreed to reimburse me for the taxes and fees of returned items, since my orders were placed before Aug 15th, but as of 15th they are telling people to claim their taxes for returns with Canada Border Customs Agency directly.

So I am done with Yoox. Too bad, since they had a lot of good deals during end of season 80-90% off sales.

NOYOO

Reaction score
Hello all.

I run into same problem, I am glad there are some opinions regarding this issue.
I have contacted YOOX and here is what their responce is:
Thank you for contacting yoox.com.
As stated in our Customer Care, if you choose to return an item, we will refund you the purchase price only. Any taxes and duties applied at checkout are not refundable. For further information you can contact your local customs office directly.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.
Thank you,
Rebecca
Customer Care

I will try one more time to contact them and will probably end up with CBSA. Stupid.

I wount buy anymore from them unless it is huge discount and I am sure I want this product. Doesnot worth headache.

By the way, Wayward did they return full amount or partial?

Thank you all guys.

Lollie

Reaction score
Did the test. This one shirt would come up to 127$ on US Yoox with coupon and free shipping. Shipped to Canada, that same item comes up to 204$ (! with coupon, + 15$ shipping and 44$ in taxes and duties).....And yet the item ships from Italy?!

WTF?

sturm07

Reaction score
Looks like I am not the only one that is not going to buy anything from YOOX ever again.
angry.gif
They are charging over 40% for delivery/taxes. Wanted to buy a nice pair of shoes for 350$ but cancelled the order when I saw the 150$ charge for delivery/taxes. The HST is only 13% so, it should be around 46$. They are asking 3x the HST for delivery/custom.
cloud.gif
To way I am paying that.

christmas13

Reaction score
I like you had not placed an order with yoox since they changed their policy where they now charge duties and taxes outside of the selling
price.
i could not believe that they did not refund the duties which had been paid to them. I contacted them ant they told me to claim them
with canada customs. I will claim with canada customs but why would they pay me back when I paid the duties to yoox. i will try however,
go to canada customs and they have a form that you fill out it is called non commercial form. Print your invoice out from yoox with the duties
on them.I also kept a copy of the commercial invoice
which I will send along with the invoice from yoox. I only lost $71.40 not a great a loss
as you. good luck. I think it is a good idea to file the claim with Canada customs because what they are doing is very shady.
another unhappy customer

PattyC

Reaction score
I've never heard of ANY store withholding taxes and duties upon a return, is that even legal? I just stumbled across this topic after realizing that I'm going to have to process a Yoox return. This is gonna be fun times -_-

Some dude

Reaction score
FYI

Yoox is full of ****. They are not following the law, in that they are not to collect taxes without filing the proper forms with the federal govt and giving that money to them. That is why you do not receive the form that border services requires to process a claim for return of duties paid. I let Yoox know this, and they promptly refunded the duties on a return. Three or four times now... On the fence whether to file an official complaint with the govt over this, as clearly they are in the wrong, but I'm too busy to bother when they keep giving me the duties back (after I complain yet again)...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads