• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji Yamamoto Pour Homme S/S 09

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black

yama001-08062642006375316_base.jpg

At first I seriously thought this was my Grandfather (the face/hair).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When the page initially loaded, I was slightly frightened by the first image.

I like what Yohji is wearing himself--I wonder if that's a pocket-watch chain in his pocket?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
not online, but one of Alan Bilzerian's favorite designers is Yamamoto, and his buying is superb, so you could call the store. The guys are very helpful.

yeah i remember reading a magazine profile of Alan B. where he mentioned he loved collecting Yohji because it "teaches us to be confident" or something along those lines. Have never been though.

Another stateside stockist of Yohji who has a carefully edited but superb buy is Atelier. Karlo has a knack for picking the best pieces, usually all black for his store. The huge pocket jacket faust bought from SS08 is brilliant, and was nowhere to be seen in Tokyo or here in HK at Joyce.

Barney's Yohji buys are usually very safe, commercial and boring. I'd stay away from that.

Maxfield has an interesting buy for Yohji main label and Y's, they tend to carry the more extravagant and showy (read: very expensive) items from the seasons.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saks' Yohji buys are HORRIBLE. Actually that whole store...i dunno i think they lack vision and direction. they seem to buy all over the place.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Saks' Yohji buys are HORRIBLE. Actually that whole store...i dunno i think they lack vision and direction. they seem to buy all over the place.

Their customer base is much larger than someone like Barneys or a small boutique like Atelier.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats what makes it so odd...faust agrees with me on this, Saks has totally gone down the crapper. I remember goin in there like 2 years ago, took a look at some Jil, some Dior, some Galliano, it was all so random and erratic in their choice. A bit reminiscent of Hong Kong's Joyce Boutique in that respect, but at least Joyce carries some directional items each season.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Industrial Category". That's what Yamamoto looks like for SS09. Industrial Category did a collection inspired by "An old man, farming", and the silhouette of the jackets in the YY SS09 are very similar.

I agree about Saks going down the crapper. The Advanced Designer floor of the SF Saks Men's store used to be terrific - an interesting selection of Dries van Noten, Helmut Lang, some good Junya Watanabe pieces, as well as well curated Prada, DSquared, Costume National, Miu Miu, in addition to the always present Dolce Gabbana and Gucci, as well as some interesting diffusion line pieces

Now, that floor is Eurotrashilicious, and they diffusion brands featured on the floor below include luminaries like True Religion and Ed Hardy. It went from good to "world of suck" in about 2 seasons.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
+1

I don't really "get" the look that he's going for, but the use of different models was probably the coolest thing about the show.

What he said.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Is it saks or jeffrey?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
based on that reply im going with saks.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
SoCal2NYC,

Your new job wouldn't be being a Saks buyer would it?

I already worked in a buying office there for a year, never again.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
faust agrees with me on this, .

The true gauge of taste and style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads