Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

Haha it's too warm for the Nigerian weather! I don't just embrace the Yohji fit, I embrace the labels bearing his name too ( i.e. Y-3 )

The Tee just some cheap stuff, the pants Y-3 cargos. The Boots are AW08 Adidas x YY.

2. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah I know, I was planning to just hang it in my wardrobe until I travelled (which is ultimately why I decided not to go for it to be honest. Sigh. so many cool fall/winter pieces I really have no use for).

The boots are sweet. What is Y-3 quality like on their shoes and clothes? Been thinking about picking up a pair or two.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

3. davidlee388

Y-3 shoes are just Adidas IMO with a Yohji twist so quality can be assured as long as they are treated as just sneakers. Those AW08 boots, even they were branded Yohji with a Yohji tag, were made in China so they are literally Y-3 without the stripes.

Y-3 clothes are not usually made of exquisite materials, just Yohji " Sports Line " I feel done in a sportive fabric. But they are tough wearing though and IMO blend well with certain Pour Homme stuff. These are the " Mainline " stuff.

I did post here a while ago Y-3 used to have a " Exclusive " line. They were instantly recognizable as Exclusives as they were Runway only, too Avant Garde/conceptual to be Mainline and they were always devoid of any Y-3 logo, They were made in Japan and similar fabrics and prices to perhaps Y's for Men back then. In other words, the real deal. They were only sold in Y-3 Boutiques.

Sadly they have been discontinued as from SS12.

4. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I remember you and asobu talking about the more exclusive line of Y-3. Shame they are discontinuing it. All part of the re-organisation no doubt.

5. davidlee388

You can check out www.y-3store.com and check out the stuff yourself :) I have been reliably informed that the Exclusive Line had been incorporated in the Mainline but with lower prices and with Y-3 logo.

You can see some jackets retail >£700 and pants >£400 are def Exclusives in disguise.

6. 951socal

951socal Senior member

i saw some of the y-3 selvedge jeans at the Vegas boutique awhile ago, was that part of the exclusive line? retailed for $850ish but they had a 30% off sale

i was mostly there for the shoes thinking i could get regular Adidas there for walking around.

turns out im an idiot :p
    but hey at least one of the employees now know that y-3 is an addidas collab?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

7. 1234

1234 Senior member

Do you guys find its tough to wear Yohji pretty exclusively if you live in a warmer climate?

8. Nil

Nil Senior member

Yohji excels in warmer climates. I only have pants so far, but that loose, flowy silhouette is common among so many warm weather cultures (e.g. Arab, African, SE Asia, etc.) for a reason. It works damn well to keep you cool.

9. davidlee388

Almost all the SS12 Runway pieces are perfect for warm climate, the fabrics are super light and delicate :)

10. stadsvandringar

stadsvandringar Active Member

I think yohji makes a good range of clothes for various climates. His summer stuff can easily accommodate the warmer climates out there. Some of the lightest shirts and pants I own are yohji. On the other hand, I live in a pretty cold climate, and yohji is really ideal. The big coats work really well out here (Boston) in the winter time. In my opinion, a climate with a large degree of seasonal fluctuation is really ideal for yohji. I am thinking of a place like tokyo or new york in particular, where the winters are cold but not incredibly brutal, and the summer can get quite hot. If my hunch is true, it is probably not a coincidence that yohji fits the tokyo weather really well. Of course, his winter stuff is my favorite by far, and people in warmer areas are definitely missing out.

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I live in a tropical environment and have no problems whatsoever. If it gets really hot and/or humid I just go without a jacket and wear loose gabardine pants and a white shirt most of the time untucked. It's pretty easy to do and the looseness of the clothing helps with keeping cool while outside (the hakamas are excellent for this). Usually though I have no problems wearing a light cotton or linen jacket most times and even gabardine is fine. Of course, I may just be used to the heat in general and some people have less tolerance for heat than others.

12. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah I definitely agree with this point in particular. All those lovely coats are useless here :(

13. davidlee388

Y-3 jeans for US $850 retail? Almost definitely Exclusive Line then. Y's for Men jeans were about the same price then before the line was killed off after AW09.

14. davidlee388

Just want to share some Y-3 Exclusive pieces of yesteryears with those who may be interested:-

[​IMG][​IMG]
    AW09 Exclusive MOMO Print Blazer AW09 Exclusive MOMO Cloud Blazer

[​IMG][​IMG]
    AW10 Exclusive Double Layer Coat AW10 Exclusive Wrinkle Fabric Blouson + Exclusive Pants

Notice the Yohji buttons on some pieces :)

15. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member