• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, last pic is awesome.

thanks for that vid asobu;i like cape territory :)

candrew

Reaction score
Only able to make it out to Barney's. Wish they had more interesting selection from Yohji at the LA store. Yohji fit pics as promised (and an AnnD one too, to get an opinion on all):

Yohji Suit + AnnD Shirt:

AnnD Shirt + Yohji Hakama Pants:

AnnD Shirt + AnnD Blazer:

Overall, I'd say that the Yohji Fit isn't quite for me. I still love the concept and will try it on when I see it, revisiting the fit when I can.

candrew

Reaction score
Must take a good moment to tie and untie your shoes huh? I feel you
Great for walking around, being comfy, and looking cool. Terrible for trying on pants.
redface.gif

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only able to make it out to Barney's. Wish they had more interesting selection from Yohji at the LA store. Yohji fit pics as promised (and an AnnD one too, to get an opinion on all):

Yohji Suit + AnnD Shirt:

AnnD Shirt + Yohji Hakama Pants:

AnnD Shirt + AnnD Blazer:

Overall, I'd say that the Yohji Fit isn't quite for me. I still love the concept and will try it on when I see it, revisiting the fit when I can.

Hey candrew, glad you posted the pics :).

Fit 1 - I agree with thewho13, that that Ann shirt was probably not the best shirt to try on with the jacket. Other than that, I actually like the way the jacket and pants fit you. The Yohji aesthetic firmly embraces that whole rumpled, disheveled look and I would say you pulled that off, hehe. Throw on a white Yohji shirt or something similar and you would be good to go.

Fit 2 -That actually looks very cool and I have nothing else to add to that :).

Fit 3 - From what I can see the blazer fits you very well and I like the long sleeves.

I think you actually looked pretty cool in the Yohji pieces you tried on. Shame that the Barney's buy was so small would have been cool if they had some of the other jackets like this, this or this. Anyway, the most important thing is whether or not you felt comfortable in the clothes. If you didn't then it doesn't matter how cool/right you look in them at the end of the day.

Last edited:

candrew

Reaction score
Hey candrew, glad you posted the pics
smile.gif
Fit 1 - I agree with thewho13, that that Ann shirt was probably not the best shirt to try on with the jacket. Other than that, I actually like the way the jacket and pants fit you. The Yohji aesthetic firmly embraces that whole rumpled, disheveled look and I would say you pulled that off, hehe. Throw on a white Yohji shirt or something similar and you would be good to go.
Fit 2 -That actually looks very cool and I have nothing else to add to that
smile.gif
Fit 3 - From what I can see the blazer fits you very well and I like the long sleeves.
I think you actually looked pretty cool in the Yohji pieces you tried on. Shame that the Barney's buy was so small would have been cool if they had some of the other jackets like this, this or this. Anyway, the most important thing is whether or not you felt comfortable in the clothes. If you didn't then it doesn't matter how cool/right you look in them at the end of the day.

That would've been awesome to try on.

Thanks for the advice and observations. I think I'm just not ready to have the very loose silhouette on me, quite yet. I'm getting there slowly, but the idea of creating volume around me and effectively shortening my proportions is very new. They definitely feel comfortable and the hakama pants did make me feel very "romantically traditional" if that makes sense. It's more my perception of standing out among the crowd that I'd need to be used to.
redface.gif

I definitely won't give up on the idea though.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a PSA to those who mainly frequent this thread, do read this thread on the Buying & Selling rules of this forum as well as the policies regarding advertising sales in threads. You might have to go back and edit some older sales threads if you have any and the info is of course mandatory for new threads. Also this and the post following it may apply to some people here more than others.

Looks like the forum honchos have been using the banhammer pretty frequently for infractions so just thought I would let people know.

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That would've been awesome to try on.

Thanks for the advice and observations. I think I'm just not ready to have the very loose silhouette on me, quite yet. I'm getting there slowly, but the idea of creating volume around me and effectively shortening my proportions is very new. They definitely feel comfortable and the hakama pants did make me feel very "romantically traditional" if that makes sense. It's more my perception of standing out among the crowd that I'd need to be used to. :eek:

I definitely won't give up on the idea though. 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

No problem. I get what you mean completely about the hakama pants. It's definitely a major part of why I wear them so much. They also remind me of some of our traditional costumes in Nigeria. The silhouette does take getting used to I guess, and of course, if it is not something you personally want to do or feel a natural affinity for then there's no point in moving yourself to get used to it :). If it happens, it happens.

The issue of standing out among the crowd is something that I think you're probably going to have to get used to anyway. Once you start wearing clothing from designers like Ann or Dries and you pay more attention to how your clothing fits and maybe play with drape or proportion even if only a little bit, you will stand out for sure.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whoa! that second fit is great candrew. you couldve walked right out of there with that stuff on and looked totally at home. (after you paid for it of course :laugh:)

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that second fit is awesome. You should buy and work on slowly getting over your self-consciousness until you're ready to wear them. :)

dantebykiko

Reaction score
just personal opinion, i think you should start building the yohji "fit", "aesthetic" with tops first eg. shirt/jackets. the trousers are always hard to wear at the beginning. when i bought my first pairs i took them in so they are not that baggy, now i want them to be even looser. good way to prepare yourself for looser fit it's to watch this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/ beautiful wardrobe.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I took a couple of shots in the Disaster Room of the suit. Definitely unsure. I think that it fits quite well, but I also think that it's possible it exists a bit too far on the conservative side for me - at least at the moment. It's a fairly staid medium grey, and combined with the 3-button jacket, I'm afraid it might age me a bit more than I'm ready for. It's a bit Chaplin, and I can't help but wonder if some of his more romantic designs might fit in better with what I like to wear. That said, it is definitely a nice suit - even if the sleeves are currently comically short.

Thoughts? I'll try to find a space to take a better picture at some point.

vUdeXl.jpg

blXFol.jpg

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see what you're saying about that suit being a bit on the conservative/traditional side of the spectrum. I think a lot of what makes Yohji's designs great is the out-of-the-ordinary cutting and detailing: blocking (is that the term?), extra seams, double lapels, assymetrical buttoning, etc. This one's pretty straightforward, but it still looks pretty nice to me. The shoulders and proportions look good for you. is this the one from eBay? Maybe if it had extra long sleeves or you rolled the pants cuffs really short and wore it with boots it might take it in a more interesting direction.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads