Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Someone uploaded scans of the interview Yohji did in Surface magazine so thought I would share the relevant pages. Click or open in new tab/window to enbiggen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like they have Yohji on the PR circuit, great to have him popping up in the news a little bit more.

2. cowerd

cowerd Senior member

3. candrew

candrew Senior member

God...Reading this thread has made me want a black Yohji suit and Hakama pants...

I'm now seriously look at that SZ classified and digging into the depths of my soul to find out whether it's 'me'.

Last edited: May 8, 2012

4. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Haha, well if at all possible, you should try on some stuff at a store. If that's not an option, well like quite a few of us keep saying, it's not that hard to wear YY, especially if one sticks to the basic pieces - Jacket, pants, white/black shirts. The hakama pants are really great and very comfortable, but they are also not gonna mesh with everyone's wardrobe and/or sense of style so I personally wouldn't advise everyone to pick up a pair of them unless you are prepared to deal with "Why are you wearing a skirt?" comments or they just really fill a space in your clothing collection.

A YY suit (esp. off eBay/Y!J or various classifieds) is definitely something that can give you a very straightforward and relatively risk-free idea of the brand for sure though so if you are interested, probably best to start with that.

Those are the same as the first hakamas I got and the fabric is really nice. Love everything I have handled that was made in this cotton and it is probably my favourite fabric from the season. Anything made in this particular cotton also seemed to have a good price relative to other fabric iterations as well so if anyone's in the market they should definitely pick it up.

Last edited: May 9, 2012

5. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

so who bought the hakama pants :eek:

6. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Lol. Didn't even see that they were gone. That was fast. :slayer:

7. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i saw that you schooled the guy on caring for the pleats :teach:

8. candrew

candrew Senior member

I'm gonna need to look around some. Thanks for the advice and suggestions! I imagine there must be some place around LA that carries Yohji as many smaller designers will stock their things here or NY. If not, I'll try through a site that has a lenient return policy.

My first Yohji item would most definitely be a black suit that I'd wear with some derbies and a white shirt of some kind. The hakama pants are more of a pipe dream since I couldn't imagine doing anything with it except running through a bamboo forest in it with a black silent tee reciting haikus and acting very romantic-like (or maybe that's just my dream). [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2012

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Oh, you're in LA? You should head over to Maxfields when you have the time. They tend to have a very solid Yohji buy (at least the last two seasons they got a very nice selection of pieces) so you can definitely try on some there. I actually didn't get photos of their buy this season as I picked up quite a bit of stuff from Japan, but I am pretty sure they would have picked up the more trouser-like hakama pants and you could try those on.

Barney's as well stocks Yohji, although the one I went to had a pretty small selection.

New York has Atelier which stocks Yohji too and I am sure they would have a few more stores that carry his stuff over there for sure.

Last edited: May 10, 2012

10. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

anybody knows this pair of trousers ? i like the idea of the cuffed/belted hem but i'd prefer seeing a proper pic, it looks a bit off here

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. valter

valter Senior member

They're from S/S2009, there were a couple of versions shown on the runway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I don't think this collection has been posted yet - YYPH Autumn/Winter 2006-2007.

Really like how the show progressed from standard Yohji-style suits to those same suits with splashes of colour and stripes, to heavy ornamentation and embroidery. The jacket with the crazy amounts of ornamentation is something I would love to own actually (especially since I believe all the stuff attached to it is removable, can anyone confirm?). Some killer coats in here as well I think and I really like Yohji's outfit at the end. One of the few top and bottom denim outfits I like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. candrew

candrew Senior member

[​IMG]

That coat is amazing...

Thanks, Ivwri. I've actually been to Maxfield's, but only to check out their Rick selection. I had no idea they had Yohji. I will also be sure to check Barney's. This coming Saturday morning will be full of trying on Yohji things. [​IMG]

14. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Cool. You should take pics if you can :).

I also discovered another online Yohji stockist - Ikkon. Will update the OP.

A lot of the copy on the various items is very um...flowery...but they have a very solid buy from this season with loads of jackets and trousers and not a single hakama-style pair of pants in sight.

Tempted by this and the linen napoleon jacket really looks nice as well.

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ great find, ivwri. they have some nice, different things than some other stockists.

btw, I've noticed quite a few items including these 3/4 hakamas which I didn't see in any of the runway looks. how much stuff does yohji produce that's not shown in the collection, or am i just missing something?