Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.
paris sample sale ended 2 weeks ago or so, might re-start soon
Yohji's clothing always looks as though it wouldn't be out of place 150 years ago.
I like that jacket shah.
i would assume the majority of clothing here would look out of place a century and half ago ... but yes, yohji would not.
i am particularly interested in mixing it with other stuff because i don't enjoy runway copycat or unidesigner fits. Y's would seem easier to do this with
Grabbed this off a now deleted post (or banned user?) on SZ. It's a pretty content-rich PDF preview of the Yohji book "My Dear Bomb". The book is not a biography though it does contain a few biographical elements. It combines a bit of fiction, poetry, some musings and thoughts by Yohji himself and a lot of insight into his creative process. Definitely worth picking up.
doesnt seem like this stuff would work for short guys
Usually don't like these sorts of lists (because without fail the person making them will contradict themselves somewhere down the line), but there's some interesting stuff in here that keeps cropping up whenever Yohji talks about his work and what his craft means to him so thought it would be good to post.
Rules of Style From Yohji Yamamoto
1. I believe that there are three conditions to a woman’s beauty. First, you must realize that not all women are beautiful all of the time. Sometimes beauty comes on a subconscious level. When she is in love, or has met someone new and exciting, she shines. Second, you must understand that life is unfair. Beauty is something that, for some, must be worked at. The third condition is luck. Some women can just be lucky.
2. My role in all of this is very simple. I make clothing like armor. My clothing protects you from unwelcome eyes.
3. Color, for me, has too many stories wrapped around it. I like black, white, gray, and navy. Like a uniform.
4. Life is better for beautiful people. You can become lucky if you are beautiful, you can become rich. But there is no truth in this definition of beauty.
5. If you feel strongly about someone, go up to them. Pursue what you want in life. Why be shy about something like that?
6. You can tell what a woman is going to be like in bed just by looking at her. There is a feeling about someone that comes from experience. When you’ve seen it once, you will recognize it again.
7. Fashion cannot make you sexy. Experience makes you sexy. Imagination makes people sexy. You have to train yourself, you have to study, and you have to live your life.
8. I love the back. A beautiful back makes a beautiful front. When you slouch, think about what happens to your front. You have to keep your back in the right position. This is where your spirit lies.
9. Men’s clothing is about tiny details, and I hate that. I am very small and I look stupid in a perfectly tailored suit. I want to be able to wear things that don’t fit perfectly, with the sleeves far too long. I wish clothing came with no sizes at all. It would be much better that way.
10. The biggest mistake you can make in fashion is imitation. If we keep on like this, fashion will die. There was a time when I used to fall in love on the street every day. I would see someone with such a way about them or such a flawless item that I would have to say, “Stop! Please! That’s perfect.” That never happens anymore. Everything is too similar. Soon it will be only a T-shirt and jeans.
11. I don’t think we should try to make space our own. I believe that as modern people we should live in mobility. We should always be moving.
Yohji's a pretty small guy actually and he wears his own stuff -
wire.artist is about average height I believe -
yohji is such a fucking badass. i love it.
I recall seeing his early work in the 90s:
Not in any way ment to be offensive, but your style seems like the antithesis to YY?
edit: Which of course doesnt mean that you should not be able to like it..
are you talking to me? certainly is. but i like a lot of things i don't/wouldn't wear, so ...
Ivwri, you should condense all the informational posts on YY as a brand into your original post (or atleast link the subsequent posts in your original post, for easier navigation). Although I don't see myself wearing anything from YY, I appreciate learning about the brand.
Will get on that soon, thanks for the suggestion.
You guys can look through peoplewearingyohji for ideas, ivwri makes a cameo or two. What ive noticed with yohji is that what's available for sale is similar to whats on runway, unlike say cdg. I know its based on buys but I rarely see interesting cdg. This isn't the cdg thread but to me the aesthetics are similar and just as interesting.
I keep looking at Yohji spring 2012 and am impressed every time I do. That collection is amazing. I don't really get the complaints I keep seeing about the volume in Yohji's stuff. He does it so well...
Also, I want these boots so bad. Any interesting info worth knowing about Yohji's footwear?
Separate names with a comma.