• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

when he retires you can claim youve got "OG Yohji" and not the new stuff :laugh:

i was just reading a recent Helmut Lang interview about his art and the legacy he left.

you mean the thousands of archive pieces he destroyed? it crushed my heart :embar:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, thats what i mean. 6000 pieces according to the interview

dantebykiko

Reaction score
spend 4 hours reading the thread. bloody awesome! will join the conversation as soon as i find spare time!

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"if the HL interview is online would you mind posting a link? I'd love to have a read"

i tried searching for it before you posted this :eek:
i couldnt find it.

the magazine is called dapper dan
http://www.dapperdanmagazine.com/

i really like this magazine. last issue had an ann d, kva and siki im interview. there seems to be a theme with yohji pieces making an appearance at the end of each magazine too :D (ive only read 2 issues out of 5)

Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did yohji design all of pina bausch's costumes? some of the outfits in the wenders film are amazing.

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

did yohji design all of pina bausch's costumes? some of the outfits in the wenders film are amazing.

fun fact: kris van assche's boyfriend gave him a photograph of pina bausch smoking a cigarette. he likes the attitude portrayed.
that is all.

Last edited:

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know how those Mid zipper sneakers fit in comparison to say CP's? Quality?

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think so actually. Costume design was credited to Rolf Borzik & Marion Cito. I also looked into it earlier and the only collaboration I could find was when Yohji did costume design for her and her troupe in 1998 for an anniversary performance. I think she wore Yohji in her private life though. Seen her pictured in a bit of Yohji. If anyone has more info would be glad to see it though. A lot of the costumes like I wrote earlier were really reminiscent of Yohji to me and like you say, it was really amazing.

Watched Kitano's "Brother" in class, It said wardrobe by Yohji Yamamoto in the into credits and I was like, ":bounce2:"

:). Apparently, Yohji and Takeshi Kitano are friends. I swear Kitano just gets Yohji suits for every film he is in though, lol. Watched Sonatine again recently and everything in the movie looked like Yohji could have designed it. Complete with flashy print shirts :).

anyone know how those Mid zipper sneakers fit in comparison to say CP's? Quality?

I assume you are talking about the Y's ones that are on Wrongweather? If so, they fit true to size. half a size large from my own experience. Got them in a size 44 and they are pretty snug. I wear a 44 in Ann and a 45 in AW11-12 MMM Gats if that helps any. I can't compare the quality to Cps or anything like that, but the leather is alright and the zipper is pretty solid. Fairly comfortable too (not as comfy as MMM Gats, but YMMV).

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just realized that every time I wear out the silk tapered hakamas I get compliments from women in the form of them saying they "want my pants" and asking where they could get a pair. :eek:

sounds like a job for Ivwri's tailor :devil:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure if these have been posted, but I found some images of the Spring/Summer 2001 collection. From an old Superfuture thread. You can see some of the recurring themes: double lapels, oversized sleeves, busy prints, etc. Check out the super arm suits! There's even a 50s-style nerdy professor look.

yy-ss-09-1.jpg
yy-ss-09-2.jpg

yy-ss-09-3.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

6.jpg
7.jpg

8.jpg
9.jpg

10.jpg
11.jpg

12.jpg
16.jpg

17.jpg
18.jpg

19.jpg
23.jpg

26.jpg
27.jpg

29.jpg
30.jpg

31.jpg
32.jpg

33.jpg
34.jpg

35.jpg
36.jpg

37.jpg
38.jpg

39.jpg
40.jpg

41.jpg
yy-ss-01-1.jpg

yy-ss-01-2.jpg
yy-ss-01-3.jpg

yy-ss-01-4.jpg
yy-ss-01-5.jpg

yy-ss-01-6.jpg
yy-ss-01-7.jpg

yy-ss-01-8.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics