1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Marsell seems to need some serious quality and creative control for sure. Definitely a try before you buy brand if there ever was one.

And, the baby is upcoming so thanks :). First trimester coming to an end pretty soon, hopefully everything goes well for the remaining period.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
    3 people like this.
  2. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

So, my AW12-13 wish list:

[​IMG]

The whole suit. I love the button details and the width of the trousers. The fact that the suit opens up on the sides (not sure if that is adjustable, but would be a plus) as well just adds enough of a detail that definitely pushed me over the edge for sure. The boots look interesting as well. This suit and the cape are my "Must buy" items.

[​IMG]

The pants. Been on the lookout for some navy pants and these look very cool in motion, my only reservation is how warm the fabric might be. ***

[​IMG]

The jacket. I like the simplicity of this iteration best. Tempted by the pants as well.

[​IMG]

I would be very surprised if these capes don't sell out immediately (in Japan at least). Definitely want one even if it may not get as much use as I would like. Love the cuff detail on the sleeves and the pouch pocket.

[​IMG]

Guilty pleasure purchase. I dunno why, but the embroidered patches look great to me :).

[​IMG]

I want at least one pair of red pants from this collection and this one might well be it. The pair in look 10 look pretty nice as well in motion, but not sure about the detail on the leg.

[​IMG]

Pants. Like the double hem detail.

[​IMG]

Hat, jacket, pants and boots. These pants also seem to have a double hem detail from the brief glimpse I caught in the video. Not sure though.

[​IMG]

Love this suit. Would like to get it in another color though. Either navy or grey.

3. avery

avery Senior member

this has probably been asked before, but who does Yohji use as models? lots of them don't look like typical runway models.

4. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

5. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I don't know if this applies to every one of his runway shows, but he has used his friends and sometimes his own staff on the runway before. I am also pretty sure he still has normal casting calls for his shows and probably just makes sure that they pull in more than the usual runway model. A lot of the people show up repeatedly so I am sure they probably have a pretty steady roster of people they can call on now.

6. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

there are set of models in most of the big agencies where they have "unusual" and older models. depends how the brand wants to present their collection. margiela uses them quite often. of course they are mixed with top models pack. speaking of personal experience it's quite amazing during castings how top models like... fernando(cabral), daiskuke(ueda) can lift the whole outfit with their personality and walk.

7. curiouscharles

curiouscharles Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'd never really considered this... I suppose it shares some steez-related roots with that mysterious quality that makes the difference between someone being able to pull-off an outfit, or not pull it off.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  8. valter

valter Senior member

Video clip of the Yohji exhibition in Hyères:

Yohji's interview (in Japanese) also from Hyères:

9. asobu

asobu Senior member

Good to see continuing activity in this thread, I seem to have some catching up to do. But before I do that, this is important.

For anyone who still hasn't seen the women's AW 95-96 runway show, it's finally found its way out of the vaults. And it's glorious in every way. I was blown away by the AW94 show and it's still one of the best women's shows I've seen, and this is pretty much on par with that one. This moves away from the kimono themed 94 shows and into massive, amazing coat and cape territory. Some astonishing silhouettes and cuts here, especially watch the backs. Of course we get plenty of that wonderful gabardine in motion. Breathtaking stuff.

So we finally get to see these coats in motion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part 1 of 7, make sure you watch the whole thing:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3 people like this.
  10. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

This was amazing to watch. The combination of the music and the clothing was breathtaking at times.

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

From the runway to the streets -

Yohji Yamamoto Pour Homme Spring/Summer 2012: Gangsta Edition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sean & Seng for Arena Homme via

12. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

wow, last pic is awesome.

thanks for that vid asobu;i like cape territory :)

13. candrew

candrew Senior member

Only able to make it out to Barney's. Wish they had more interesting selection from Yohji at the LA store. Yohji fit pics as promised (and an AnnD one too, to get an opinion on all):

Yohji Suit + AnnD Shirt:
    [​IMG]

AnnD Shirt + Yohji Hakama Pants:
    [​IMG]

AnnD Shirt + AnnD Blazer:
    [​IMG]

Overall, I'd say that the Yohji Fit isn't quite for me. I still love the concept and will try it on when I see it, revisiting the fit when I can.

1 person likes this.
  14. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Must take a good moment to tie and untie your shoes huh? I feel you

1 person likes this.
  15. candrew

candrew Senior member

Great for walking around, being comfy, and looking cool. Terrible for trying on pants. [​IMG]

16. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Hey candrew, glad you posted the pics :).

Fit 1 - I agree with thewho13, that that Ann shirt was probably not the best shirt to try on with the jacket. Other than that, I actually like the way the jacket and pants fit you. The Yohji aesthetic firmly embraces that whole rumpled, disheveled look and I would say you pulled that off, hehe. Throw on a white Yohji shirt or something similar and you would be good to go.

Fit 2 -That actually looks very cool and I have nothing else to add to that :).

Fit 3 - From what I can see the blazer fits you very well and I like the long sleeves.

I think you actually looked pretty cool in the Yohji pieces you tried on. Shame that the Barney's buy was so small would have been cool if they had some of the other jackets like this, this or this. Anyway, the most important thing is whether or not you felt comfortable in the clothes. If you didn't then it doesn't matter how cool/right you look in them at the end of the day.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  17. candrew

candrew Senior member

[​IMG]

That would've been awesome to try on.

Thanks for the advice and observations. I think I'm just not ready to have the very loose silhouette on me, quite yet. I'm getting there slowly, but the idea of creating volume around me and effectively shortening my proportions is very new. They definitely feel comfortable and the hakama pants did make me feel very "romantically traditional" if that makes sense. It's more my perception of standing out among the crowd that I'd need to be used to. [​IMG]

I definitely won't give up on the idea though. [​IMG]

18. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Just a PSA to those who mainly frequent this thread, do read this thread on the Buying & Selling rules of this forum as well as the policies regarding advertising sales in threads. You might have to go back and edit some older sales threads if you have any and the info is of course mandatory for new threads. Also this and the post following it may apply to some people here more than others.

Looks like the forum honchos have been using the banhammer pretty frequently for infractions so just thought I would let people know.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  19. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

No problem. I get what you mean completely about the hakama pants. It's definitely a major part of why I wear them so much. They also remind me of some of our traditional costumes in Nigeria. The silhouette does take getting used to I guess, and of course, if it is not something you personally want to do or feel a natural affinity for then there's no point in moving yourself to get used to it :). If it happens, it happens.

The issue of standing out among the crowd is something that I think you're probably going to have to get used to anyway. Once you start wearing clothing from designers like Ann or Dries and you pay more attention to how your clothing fits and maybe play with drape or proportion even if only a little bit, you will stand out for sure.

20. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

whoa! that second fit is great candrew. you couldve walked right out of there with that stuff on and looked totally at home. (after you paid for it of course :laugh:)