1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Some extra info I got from re-porter on the scarfed blazer posted above -

Also, I went to Degli Effetti in Rome yesterday and tried on this silk blazer -

[​IMG]

It was great! If I had enough money, I would totally have paid the extortionate price for it (2000+ euros!). They also had the same cut but done in a heavier cotton fabric. They had lots of basic blazers in black and quite a few pants. They also had these brown hakama pants and the colour looked way better in person, but there was loose thread sticking out from some of the stitching on the sides which was pretty strange and off-putting. The black ones they had were much better finished. Didn't try either on though. Didn't pick up anything other than a Lumen et Umbra L/S shirt

[​IMG]

which while not being so long in the body would go well with a lot of the Yohji stuff I have I think.

Went to the women's section with my wife after that and we picked out quite a number of Y's and mainline clothes for her to try on. The mainline stuff looked and felt really great as well and the staff were quite friendly and helpful. As for sizing, looks like the size 3 corresponds to an M or small L so similar to the men's stuff just cut in women's sizes. My wife generally has problems with tops cos of the chest area so she tends to wear medium sized tops despite being on the short side and size 3 worked for her in Y's and the few mainline items they had in 3. The sizing was pretty consistent across pants, shirts, tops and jackets which was pretty cool. There were a pair of suspender pants in a khaki colour that were a size 2 and were pretty large, but other than that, everything else was relatively the same. Looked like the most popular sizes were 1s and 2s.

Ended up buying a pair of Y's drop crotch pants and plan to get the rest once I get back to Lagos.

Now I realise that I may have put myself into trouble as she really liked the stuff she tried on. Less Yohji for me :fu:

Although I guess getting a wife dressed up in Yohji is a good trade-off...

2 people like this.
  2. Auburn

Auburn Senior member

That photo set that Parker posted gave off some really strong Glenn Gould vibes to me....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Those are excellent. Love the second spoilered look. Sent to inspiration folder :)

4. asobu

asobu Senior member

Yesss, this is so good. AW01 indeed. This is such a great collection, I want MoK to adopt this whole season into his wardrobe. In addition to that DB suit there was also a great grey SB suit in the same worsted (?) silk fabric.

[​IMG]

The collection was loosely based around Pépé le Moko and french gangsters.

glad to hear you're going for it!

Yes this was amazing in person! Glad you got to try it on, it really makes a world of difference seeing it in person. I love that is has that almost old-style boxiness to it and the fabric just works perfectly with the cut. I honestly wasn't that into it before I saw in the store but now... makes for a great layering pieces too I think.

5. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

If I can figure out a way to pick up the silk blazer from Degli Effetti after I get back to Nigeria I think I will go for it. Been thinking about it every now and then since I tried it on and despite the print, I think I will end up wearing it quite a bit.

I also have a random aside from my brother's wedding. So, I got dressed up in my Yohji outfit and my younger cousin came up to me asking why I was wearing "MC Hammer pants". I told her that I liked them and thought the matter would end there. She kept on bugging me about it though saying that she liked the upper half of my outfit, but didn't like me wearing baggy pants. Anyway, long story short, after the whole ceremony was over and we had all danced for a bit she came up to me and said that while my pants were still "MC Hammer pants" that she thought they looked cool and that I pulled them off.

Moral of the story, Yohji in motion (especially, dancing motion :lol:) is always a winner :slayer:

2 people like this.
  6. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

7. PregnantBob

PregnantBob Senior member

Iv'e gotten that before too, usually when they ask why im wearing hammer pants i just say "so i can do this" and start doing the running man and shuffle away from them and then walk away.

1 person likes this.
  8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

For some reason I assumed the term "Hammer pants" wouldn't mean anything beyond the U.S. and Canada, but MC Hammer really was a worldwide phenomenon...

9. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

all you posers wearing yohji hakama pants thinking you're some samurai bigshot... WELL I WEAR THE REAL THING :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

[​IMG]

tsuki mother fucker!

indigo dyed for the denimhead in you

ps. keep on rocking the yohji, fellas

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    3 people like this.
  10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Picking up YY for some of you guys, i've come to appreciate YY as a designer more and more, quite rapidly in fact - but you guys gotta leave MoK alone. I don't think YY is his thing tbh, he seems much happier and can riff on that heritage thing he has always been doing...

11. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

lol I used to practice kendo too but then I took an arrow in the knee.. jk. I grew more and more embarrassed at unintentionally screaming/shrieking during competition.

How I wish I looked in hakama pants
    [​IMG]

How I would actually look in hakama pants

[​IMG]

edit: fixed link. This isn't me though. I was constantly amazed at chubby kids who's been doing kendo for years.

12. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

fixed.

also those are some shitty polyester hakama. no bueno.

and... unintentional, you say? kiai/kihap is like.....basics ):

13. 1234

1234 Senior member

Those pants are great. Wish I could pull them off.

14. 1234

1234 Senior member

Wish I could pull those pants off.

15. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I have a proper formal thick silk hakama (and kimono) that were given to me by my wife's aunt (they belonged to her father, so they are quite old and of beautiful quality). However, I don't get many opportunities to wear them in Canada...

16. valter

valter Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  17. 1234

1234 Senior member

Love those pants. Wish I could pull them off.

18. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Yeah... except I get really high pitch. I sound like a kinky guy shrieking in a comedy film. Sabum-nim (whats the English equivalent of this?) of our dojo liked it, since it scared/confused a lot of opponents.. even now when I watch my video I blush in embarassment :embar:

19. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

hahaha. makes me think of Inspector Clouseau

20. asobu

asobu Senior member

If you ever feel like taking a look at some of the older stuff in person there's a few Shibuya locations that usually always offer up a good variety of YYPH from the early 90's to present day on a decent rotation. Some of the Ragtag's - especially in Ginza and Shinjuku #1 - also have some great things on the racks most of the time, smaller stock that moves faster though.

Short interview with Yohji after his last women's show, not sure if this has been posted before? Well, not really much to see I guess but since we're gathering material in here anyway so I thought I might as well post it

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.