1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

never owned any Yohji clothing but I did purchase a Mandarina Duck x Yohji Yamamoto messenger bag several seasons ago. great piece

3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Those jeans look uber-depressing :(. Might be suffering from Yoox syndrome though.

Still on the hunt for a Yohji messenger bag. Really liked some of the ones from that collabo. Particularly the bag dresses (major source of inspiration for a project I'm working on).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more images over on the Y's Mandarina thread on SZ.

4. sipang

sipang Senior member

I think like with any diffusion line the interesting pieces to crap ratio is pretty bad, from the lookbooks there seems to be at least a couple of wearable items but you'll probably have to wade through dozens of poorly designed jackets and ugly jeans and tshirts before finding them.

5. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah I guess so. Shame it didn't last though. I remember reading somewhere that the whole goal of Coming Soon was to introduce more people to Yohji's aesthetic and vision with a lower price point. So didn't seem like the typical cash-in diffusion line pimping the designer's name.

6. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

isn't that the stated goal of every diffusion/shitty fast-fashion collab?

1 person likes this.
  7. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

True that. But at least they didn't just spam his name all over the place (like with the Y-3 collab) and even came up with a really terrible (from an SEO perspective) brand name that had nothing to do with the mainline. From what I had seen at least, Coming Soon looked way better than stuff like CdG Play for example.

I should have been more explicit in my earlier statement though, what I really wanted to say is that the aesthetic seemed to carry through the statement in Coming Soon from what I had seen. Of course, pickpackpockpuck talking about shitty jeans and jackets has kinda shown that it might have turned out like all the others, heh.

1 person likes this.
  8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

The stuff I handled was probably not representative of the whole line. I think it was pretty clearly the leftover junk that nobody wanted, so it's not really a surprise that it wasn't great. It seems particularly hard to water down Yohji without losing something essential. If you make jeans and leather jackets and then do a diffusion line of cheaper jeans and denim jackets it's a lot easier to keep the aesthetic together.

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

[​IMG]

Posted this in RP a while back, but figured it should go in here as well. Got these pants and the knit wrap skirt from this look of the AW05/06 collection.

Still waiting to actually get them in my hands unfortunately as they are sitting in the UK waiting for my mum to help me bring them back. The pants are handstitched and look very nice up close -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More photos with and without the wrap -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably too warm to wear in Nigeria, but they will definitely be in heavy rotation whenever I travel to somewhere even remotely chilly hehe.

Photos grabbed off of wire.artist's sales thread over on SZ.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  10. the shah

the shah Senior member

excellent thread, would re-read. can't believe this is my first happening upon this place

this is excellent
    [​IMG]

my first yohji piece
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

of course, thread would not be complete without mentioning wire.artist and asobu

11. the shah

the shah Senior member

paris sample sale ended 2 weeks ago or so, might re-start soon

12. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Yohji's clothing always looks as though it wouldn't be out of place 150 years ago.

I like that jacket shah.

13. the shah

the shah Senior member

i would assume the majority of clothing here would look out of place a century and half ago ... but yes, yohji would not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i am particularly interested in mixing it with other stuff because i don't enjoy runway copycat or unidesigner fits. Y's would seem easier to do this with

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    3 people like this.
  14. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

[​IMG]

Grabbed this off a now deleted post (or banned user?) on SZ. It's a pretty content-rich PDF preview of the Yohji book "My Dear Bomb". The book is not a biography though it does contain a few biographical elements. It combines a bit of fiction, poetry, some musings and thoughts by Yohji himself and a lot of insight into his creative process. Definitely worth picking up.

LINK

15. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

doesnt seem like this stuff would work for short guys

16. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Usually don't like these sorts of lists (because without fail the person making them will contradict themselves somewhere down the line), but there's some interesting stuff in here that keeps cropping up whenever Yohji talks about his work and what his craft means to him so thought it would be good to post.

via

Rules of Style From Yohji Yamamoto

1. I believe that there are three conditions to a woman’s beauty. First, you must realize that not all women are beautiful all of the time. Sometimes beauty comes on a subconscious level. When she is in love, or has met someone new and exciting, she shines. Second, you must understand that life is unfair. Beauty is something that, for some, must be worked at. The third condition is luck. Some women can just be lucky.

2. My role in all of this is very simple. I make clothing like armor. My clothing protects you from unwelcome eyes.

3. Color, for me, has too many stories wrapped around it. I like black, white, gray, and navy. Like a uniform.

4. Life is better for beautiful people. You can become lucky if you are beautiful, you can become rich. But there is no truth in this definition of beauty.

5. If you feel strongly about someone, go up to them. Pursue what you want in life. Why be shy about something like that?

6. You can tell what a woman is going to be like in bed just by looking at her. There is a feeling about someone that comes from experience. When you’ve seen it once, you will recognize it again.

7. Fashion cannot make you sexy. Experience makes you sexy. Imagination makes people sexy. You have to train yourself, you have to study, and you have to live your life.

8. I love the back. A beautiful back makes a beautiful front. When you slouch, think about what happens to your front. You have to keep your back in the right position. This is where your spirit lies.

9. Men’s clothing is about tiny details, and I hate that. I am very small and I look stupid in a perfectly tailored suit. I want to be able to wear things that don’t fit perfectly, with the sleeves far too long. I wish clothing came with no sizes at all. It would be much better that way.

10. The biggest mistake you can make in fashion is imitation. If we keep on like this, fashion will die. There was a time when I used to fall in love on the street every day. I would see someone with such a way about them or such a flawless item that I would have to say, “Stop! Please! That’s perfect.” That never happens anymore. Everything is too similar. Soon it will be only a T-shirt and jeans.

11. I don’t think we should try to make space our own. I believe that as modern people we should live in mobility. We should always be moving.

2 people like this.
  17. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yohji's a pretty small guy actually and he wears his own stuff -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wire.artist is about average height I believe -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

yohji is such a fucking badass. i love it.

19. Original Intent

Original Intent Active Member

I recall seeing his early work in the 90s:

[​IMG]

20. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Not in any way ment to be offensive, but your style seems like the antithesis to YY?

edit: Which of course doesnt mean that you should not be able to like it..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012