• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IIRC, acecow mentioned that he bought the shirt before he "knew any better." Make of that what you will given some of his other posts regarding why he now dresses the way he does.

On topic: When did you get into Yohji, Ivwri? I was revisiting some old posts last night and remembered that you started out here posting a lot of outfits without any Yohji.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
APK I got into Yohji very recently actually. Almost a year ago now. I only planned to pick up one or two pants as he seemed to be the only person that was doing loose pants and I was looking for a few interesting ones. Ended up trying on more than that and bought a few pieces and before I knew it I was grabbing more and more stuff.

Happened at a good time too as I was in the middle of trying out a new aesthetic any way.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks ivrwi. I always associated hakama with martial arts uniforms. But, it makes sense that it came from older military, equestrian and imperial dress, like almost every other traditional menswear item. I actually have an indigo dyed cotton hakama in storage somewhere. maybe I'll bust it out for summer.

I like this passage from the In The Dojo book: "... it is déclassé to stand around with your hands stuck through the vents (of your hakama) as though they were pockets. The origination of this notion is probably because a person standing about with his hands so concealed could have been holding a weapon and so others were understandably uncomfortable with it." Must remember this for waywn pics.

Also: "... If you wear pants under your hakama, take special care to see that the bottom of the pant legs do not extend out below the hem. It's a fashion faux pas." :)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IIRC, acecow mentioned that he bought the shirt before he "knew any better." Make of that what you will given some of his other posts regarding why he now dresses the way he does.

Whenever I get to writing my autobiography, I will make sure to hire you as a consultant. You seem to know so much about me, it truly humbles me. Obviously, I don't like this shirt, otherwise I wouldn't be selling it. And it doesn't fit me anyway. So, here it is for your curious eyes, $75 shipped CONUS:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/294176/bnwt-yohji-purple-silk-cotton-shirt-size-3-90-off-retail-660/0_20

davidlee388

Reaction score
Ivwri, about those boots, like I said I'm not 100% sure if they are Bruno Bordese collab ( tho he def did for YY ), I did remember those were wire's grail monkeys and he was bidding for them ( but lost ). He's the best person to ask regarding the season.

I am not too fussed about footwear, IMO a pair of Dr Martens or even Y-3 will do very nicely with most Yohji set-ups.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks ivrwi. I always associated hakama with martial arts uniforms. But, it makes sense that it came from older military, equestrian and imperial dress, like almost every other traditional menswear item. I actually have an indigo dyed cotton hakama in storage somewhere. maybe I'll bust it out for summer.
I like this passage from the In The Dojo book: "... it is déclassé to stand around with your hands stuck through the vents (of your hakama) as though they were pockets. The origination of this notion is probably because a person standing about with his hands so concealed could have been holding a weapon and so others were understandably uncomfortable with it." Must remember this for waywn pics.
Also: "... If you wear pants under your hakama, take special care to see that the bottom of the pant legs do not extend out below the hem. It's a fashion faux pas." :)

Well, I am considering doing this so hopefully no Japanese fashion police will catch me.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ acecow It probably fits you the way it was intended (loose), but from what I've seen of your pics I'd think that was the antithesis of everything else you own, so probably a good idea to give it to a better home unless you feel like branching out
redface.gif
. That's a good deal, though. You didn't alter it or anything did you?

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ivwri, about those boots, like I said I'm not 100% sure if they are Bruno Bordese collab ( tho he def did for YY ), I did remember those were wire's grail monkeys and he was bidding for them ( but lost ). He's the best person to ask regarding the season.
I am not too fussed about footwear, IMO a pair of Dr Martens or even Y-3 will do very nicely with most Yohji set-ups.

That's true actually, it's part of what makes Yohji very easy to wear on most days. Just throw on a shirt, pants, boots or sneakers and a jacket and you're good to go. Like wire says, he doesn't even use a mirror any more hehe.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ acecow It probably fits you the way it was intended (loose), but from what I've seen of your pics I'd think that was the antithesis of everything else you own, so probably a good idea to give it to a better home unless you feel like branching out :eek: .  That's a good deal, though.  You didn't alter it or anything did you?

No, I've only tried it on a few times, hoping I could make it work. But I never could. I kept it in the closet just so I could look at the material, it's very cool in a show-off way. Silky-smooth and rich purple. I'd appreciate the shirt a lot more if not for the plastic buttons.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Some interesting pieces I saw today when picking up some stuff for Ivwri :eek:

Navajo-esque long coat, printed silk from Kyoto, 1 of 1 pieces expressly for Isetan YY (costs more than a decent car)

539281_10100765521231270_15904009_54684229_1882517698_n.jpg

Second variation, one of these is about $600 more than the other (which sadly means nothing) - also 1 of 1, Kyoto silk, etc
529374_10100765521346040_15904009_54684230_1449613550_n.jpg

more affordable wool version, same cut - this is basically a 'Yohji' suit, in the sense that it's what Yohji himself wears - SA mentioned it being his favorite. This is much more affordable, about 150,000Y for two pieces
555209_10100765521505720_15904009_54684231_1194165069_n.jpg

Hakamas and then the overpant-style hakamas, don't know which runway looks are which but they're all from that set. This is what they had out in terms of hakamas. I think the back ones are the navy with the printed sunburst in silk (tapered leg?) - expensive, the second from the back are overpants (chaps), and then the two front striped pairs are hakamas, those three slightly less because they're not silk.
539526_10100765521805120_15904009_54684234_538466879_n.jpg

wireartists

Reaction score

bruno bordese indeed aw0102 although they are not a runaway item...******* hurts that I lost because I was late to rise the max bid...brand new condition.
These are very well made, unlike most of his footwear.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bruno bordese indeed aw0102 although they are not a runaway item...******* hurts that I lost because I was late to rise the max bid...brand new condition.
These are very well made, unlike most of his footwear.

Thanks for confirming this wire. At least now I know what to look out for.

davidlee388

Reaction score
Wire needs to post some fit pics of his AW11 and SS12 stuff so we can all watch and learn how to wear Yohji :nodding:

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of wire, he just blew the roof off SZ with a grail sale. if I had any money I would already own a few of those.

:spam: (also buy my aw08 jacket) :embar:

Thanks for posting those pics Drew, much appreciated. The "Yohji" suit/set up is quite incredible.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads