Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. sipang

sipang Senior member

2. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

LOL Wow! I should have just flipped it. :)

Here's another find. Not cheap, but looks incredible.

link

3. xeraphim

xeraphim Senior member

got these ss12 hakama trousers and the white shirt in look #3 awhile back, easily my favourite purchases this season [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

those arent the same ones ivwri has, right?
    they look slimmer at the hem (?)

5. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah, these ones are different, I think they are this.

6. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

thanks again

7. asobu

asobu Senior member

so snow, which type of hakamas are you getting? :D

8. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

LOL!! i have a pair of kva's that i call my samurai shorts. i wanted them last season but SSense sold out of 46's and they popped up on yoox in the winter in a 48 so i bit the bullet and they worked out fine. theyve got a bulit in tie-around belt and no real waistline so it doesnt really matter how you size it methinks :)

http://www.ssense.com/men/product/k...filiate&utm_term=generic&utm_campaign=generic

its a very light cotton so not as much movement like Ivwri's :eek:

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Those look pretty cool actually. Was originally hoping that Yohji would have done some shorts for this Spring, but I guess that was wishful thinking, heh.

So, thought I would go ahead and post another men's collection. This time, Spring 2007 the suspender collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. asobu

asobu Senior member

I feel SS07 is a bit overlooked and underestimated from his 00 collections but it really comes alive when seen in person, the intricate details and fabric blends are pretty amazing. I feel he had a strong sartorial exploration and variations on a theme at this point (ss07-aw07- partly ss08).

I found myself cooling down a bit to women's aw12 and getting less excited about it over time (though I'm certain it will deliver on the racks). I think that is also partly because I was looking through aw99, aw01 and aw02 today and all three are brilliant, particularly the latter is pretty mindblowing in both concept and execution. Definitely up there somewhere at the top of my favorite YYF collections with aw94 and ss99. Maybe he will reach that level again...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah, I agree with you about AW12-13. I still like the pieces and looks I did before though, but overall I don't think the 'experiment' (if that is indeed what it was) was a 100% successful. I can imagine that if styled differently some of the individual pieces could really shine though. But compared to those older seasons where one is simultaneously inspired by the show and collection and then impressed by the individual pieces out of that runway context, this seems to not be as great with the former.

I have not seen any of the pieces from the suspender collection myself, but I like a lot of the ideas showcased in it and in general it really stood out to me when I first started looking at his Spring collections in any detail. Not too flashy, but loads of great jackets and pants and I don't even mind the styling at all.

The fact that Yohji has also made me want to wear suspenders is great as before, the only context I had for them was that of Nigerian school teachers that are sartorially trapped in some rural/colonial mash-up from the late 50s - and while that actually sounds damn cool when I write it out like that, in practice it was the frumpy side of the population that decided to stick with it :D.

12. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I recently received a copy of A Magazine #2 Curated by Yohji Yamamoto and it has been a great read so far. I was hoping to do some scans tomorrow using a friend's scanner, but it looks like I will have to push that till later next week.

Here's an excerpt from one of the interviews peppered throughout the issue, this one with Charlotte Rampling by Marine Landrot that I think also captures my own personal experience with Yohji's clothing and also captures that feeling of the ephemeral that I think is associated with his work and philosophy of life.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  13. asobu

asobu Senior member

Glad to hear you finally got it Ivwri. it's a great read for sure. I like that excerpt -- "It was rather like joining a sect", I wonder if that is how the rest of this board views us. :lol:

14. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Lol, probably :slayer:

I just noticed that this was uploaded to YouTube. It's a Yohji Yamamoto's women's show from 1981! This was in Tokyo.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  15. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

asobu and wire are the Yohji masters :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012