Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Platypus

Platypus Affiliate Vendor

Ivwri: The hakama pants look great. Which version are they? I tried on the heavily pleated version with the partial side cutouts and they seem to fan out / angle out more than yours (though that may be because I'm a 44 / XS and I was trying on a size 3). I also tried a simpler (still pleated) pants version, but the overall effect was nowhere near as interesting. Yours seem to strike a nice balance.

2. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I agree a lot with this. The details are what you can use to make yourself look a bit more deliberate and put together than otherwise. Nice shoes, shirts etc. and of course being comfortable as well. Having said that, being dressed primarily in Yohji I do not expect to get praised for how I look as most people will not 'get' the look or have the relevant aesthetic reference points to draw on when they look at me. I haven't been described as looking homeless before (different cultures and all that), but I think that that descriptor is a shorthand for what they are really trying to say. I would also wager that for the majority of the prized looks on this side of the forum, most people would still think that a person in Dockers, loafers and a clean fitting shirt looked better.

In other words, nothing wrong with looking homeless if that's how you "want" to look and are not going for a job interview or a wedding or something like that. Hehe.

The hakama pants are the 100% cotton ones in a soft jersey cotton. From look 7 on the runway. As for them angling out, that may indeed be because of how they fit on your smaller frame. I think this style of the hakama pants are only made in a 3 non?

Very happy with how they fit actually and they are very comfortable. I will still try them with a pair of pants underneath to see how that goes too.

3. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

just missed out on some great trousers on ebay. High rise with suspender buttons, damn it damn it damn it...The person won by $2.50.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

4. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

That sucks :(. Any idea what season they were?

Good news is that he seems to do quite a few iterations of that type of trouser so you will probably find another one in your size again :)

5. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

6. PregnantBob

PregnantBob Senior member

I spend a lot of money looking homeless. I don't understand why you want to avoid it.

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Didn't the critics call Yohji's very first collection in the 80s "intellectual bag ladies?" Whether it's called anti-fit or loose-fit, there's a purposeful disheveled quality in the more traditional suit pieces. The clothes are not supposed to be classically balanced, perfectly nipped and trimmed and neat. I think Yohji even said he wished men's clothes weren't even sized. Just put on and roll or cinch as needed. To me it adds up to sort of a luxe bohemian vibe... which may not be everyone's cuppa tea, but I really like it (even tho I like my trim cut suits as well) and fits into my personal lifestyle nicely.

I love these two looks and they look nothing like the homeless dudes in my city.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

8. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah, it's why I always think people that use the "homeless person" analogy are just using it as a proxy for what they actually mean, a cursory glance at any of the pieces should remove that misconception. Having said that, there is a freedom in just having clothes hanging on for dear life. Very easy :)

Speaking of which, I have finally been able to get my hands on a pair of the high-waisted drop crotch pants from SS00 (courtesy of wire). They are one of my grail Yohji pants actually. Really liked the trousers in that particular collection :slayer:.

9. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

that milk and newspaper blazer is amazing

10. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Man oh man we used to wear our uniform like that in high school with short ugly haircut exactly like that (we were not allowed to shave like the guy behind). Now the whole trend in high school uniform is getting them tailored as skinny as possible though..

11. 951socal

951socal Senior member

what attracted me to it was walking through shibuya and stumbling across his boutique, his aesthetic was so radically different from everything else in japan which was slim as possible and small as possible. this was at the height of the american rap fad in japan, with baggy levis and holliester being imported into the country.

kind of looks like a laid back vacation wear.

the sort of thiing where you're at a barbeque with other guys wearing tommy bahama or some other cheap garbage

12. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i wasn't really considering it but here it is for the archives if someone wants it i can provide details and it's available for a fantastic price !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

really great colour and slink to it i assume

14. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Yohji shirt jacket for $30 shipped: