1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. asobu

asobu Senior member

Auburn, just remember to check the sleeves. The shirts tend to be cut pretty wide so they will probably accommodate you, but beware of sleeves and possibly the length. That said, for shirts it's generally easier to move between sizes. Also for the last few seasons (post-ss09 or so) I would recommend you go for 4 as much as possible, between 2000 and 2008 would probably be fine with 3 as well, depending on season. Pre-2000 shirts will be cut very wide but again sleeves might be on the short side when you size down.

Caveat, haven't tried it on but it's cut quite slim iirc so go tts.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. asobu

asobu Senior member

With service like that, just go back and try on all the pieces you like (or just think are cool) in different styling combinations, no matter if you think you can pull it off or not. It's best way to experience it, and it just works much better on the body than on the hanger. You'll notice what I mean once you try stuff on.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

And now, for some more pics of normal people in Yohji outfits!

**all images stolen from the "People Wearing Yohji Yamamoto" tumblr**

On the left with the knit coat from AW07-08 (look 2). Guest appearance from Fuuma on the right :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty sure this is an SS09 blazer.
    [​IMG]

AW11 shirt/jacket hybrid. Not sure what pants those are, but I want them!
    [​IMG]

wire.artist
    [​IMG]

asobu
    [​IMG]

SS12 blue cubist coat and hakama pants.
    [​IMG]

wire.artist again wearing SS07 linen overalls (I want this!!!). Guest appearance by MetroBulotDodo of SZ.
    [​IMG]

And now for some more ladies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Simons in Montreal seems to be stocking a decent amount of Yohji now. Maybe I should try some on ... could be dangerous, though.

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can see you in this, brad. Your black hair would look good with it.

2 people like this.
  6. asobu

asobu Senior member

This is also a lady! But she wears YYPH, and yeah, that organza blazer is from SS09. Very nice fit. :slayer:

This is also fantastic. I wonder if those pants are Yohji. Possibly ss04 I guess!

7. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Haha! I thought as much, but then I wasn't sure. She looks very good and I guess she took the whole idea of Yohji saying he wanted to put women in mens clothing and ran with it.

EDIT: Could the pants from the pic be AW09? Pretty sure I saw some pretty baggy cropped pants in that collection as well.

Also,

Do it Unc!

HENSHIN!
    [​IMG]

8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

hahaha "henshin." you're really paying attention to me :p

i dunno, i really cannot afford to get into yohji right now ... already in the middle of an aesthetic transformation. but i mean i'd be happy to try it out.

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

True that. I am very curious to see what people think of the clothes when they try them on though - would be nice to compare notes. Pictures would also be great for the thread, but I know a lot of boutiques are funny about that so...

Also, I pay attention cos it seems we like a lot of the same things :inlove:.

10. asobu

asobu Senior member

Hehe, when I was in London there was an older woman there who tried on a bunch of YYPH and looked great.

Yeah, i think they could be AW09 as well, those are the two seasons that featured hakama type pants more prominently.

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Been meaning to ask this and keep forgetting. Anyone know what boots Yohji is wearing at the end of the YYPH SS2012 show?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. acecow

acecow Senior member

I have a Yohji shirt for sale, may I post it in this thread as it might be of interest to some of you here? Or would that be against the rules?

13. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

Think they are YYPH boots from past season. Saw them on Y! a while ago ( sold already so don't have the link ) for something like 30k yen. Not 100% sure though, asobu can correct me if I'm wrong.

14. davidlee388

They may be YYPH monkeys by Bruno Bordese

15. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

You can certainly post a link to your sales thread if you want. Interestingly enough shah already popped by here to ask for advice on whether or not he should pick up the shirt.

Thought I would share some reading I was doing on hakama pants. Turns out Yohji really covered quite a few of the variations of hakama that existed in Japanese culture. Even the chaps might have been inspired by the original hakama design as opposed to Western chaps as originally thought (even the price list calls them Hakama cover pants). Apparently many ancient hakama used to be designed with no crotch (the seam there would be left unclosed). In hakama with a smaller number of pleats or those that were not as full, the crotch would be closed with overlapping gussets making a fly or a single gusset which would be stitched closed. This was so the wearer didn't have to untie the entire hakama in order to relieve himself. Maybe Yohji decided to keep the crotch off and extrapolate that to modern day abstractions of traditional chaps? There's also the possibility that he based his cover pants on the traditional uwabakama

The idea of wearing silk underwear underneath hakamas is also something that was (is?) also done in traditional Japanese culture -

More links -

Excerpt from a book on Japanese martial traditions.

Short Nippon-Kichi article on the Hakama.

Some traditional hakama and their analogues in the Spring 2012 collection -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. jwjp

jwjp Senior member

wow Ivwri this thread never fails to interest and inform me!

17. davidlee388

Interesting research on the Hakamas :D

The monkey boots Yohji wore could be YYPH by Bruno Bordese?

18. asobu

asobu Senior member

wow, thanks a lot Ivrwi for this exposé on hakamas! Very interesting to see the comparisons. Great post.

19. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Glad you guys liked the links!

Always very interested in Yohji's inspirations, particularly those that come from his home country.

davidlee388 thanks for the help with identifying the boots. Unfortunately I can't even find anything related to that collaboration. Any idea what season that collaboration was? I am looking for similar boots even if I can't find those ones in particular so suggestions would be great.

20. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Wait acecow, how did you end up with a Yohji shirt? Thrifting?