1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. StevenE

StevenE Senior member

Happens to us all!

Probably paid slightly more than I should for it, but I got maybe the first thing I'd really consider a grail item over on Y! Japan (w/ trousers in black, I was really buying for the jacket but if anyone here copped either i'd love to hear your impressions). If I remember rightly this jacket was on display on the Conduit Street store for a bit, and I remember thinking it could have made a great stage costume had Bowie toured the album he put out around the same time.

I got it in size 2, which is usually about right, but the seller didn't have measurements. Anyone know if this was a particularly oversized ensemble?

Going to be a tense few weeks while I wait.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

@Steven I believe you're about an inch taller but I'm much fatter than you? You should have no problem with size 2. Please see the description :)

http://www.styleforum.net/t/280641/...r-fit-yohji-yamamoto-thread/4920#post_6369325

On the runway this blazer was worn over a really big knit cardigan ( it ain't a shirt ) so it's big alright. The unlined blazer is so light it needs kind of stiff cotton lapels, shoulder panel and placket to hold its shape.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. sepp

sepp Senior member

These preorders looks great. The triple layered pants will be insane for someone who can pull it off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cmjct

cmjct Member

Noted! Thanks for letting me know:) (Please ignore this- was meaning to quote an earlier post and I can't find delete!)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. cmjct

cmjct Member

Noted- thanks for letting me know.

6. Harlock66

Harlock66 Well-Known Member

Been awhile but thought I'd pop in a few pix of my summer wear...

What I consider the ultimate YY pants: hakamas, size 2, jersey cotton SS13
    Y-3 velcro tab collar cotton shirt, very light and crisp
    YYPH SS14 slip-ons
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've waited a long time before I took the balloon pants plunge, but these fit exactly like I hoped. Like air. The flow and feel are amazing. Especially nice in this heat. Definitely gets some looks, but I think people assume I'm on my way to the dojo:]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. wildsidefashion

wildsidefashion New Member

“for me, a woman who is absorbed in her work, who does not care about gaining one’s favour, strong yet subtle at the same time, is essentially more seductive. the more she hides and abandons her femininity, the more it emerges from the very heart of her existence.” (yohji yamamoto)
    [​IMG]
    christopher springmann O’keeffe portrait
    georgia o’keeffe (november 15, 1887 – march 6, 1986)
    oh yes, everyone knows that, out of all designers, i like yamamoto the most. i watch, read, listen to… everything i find about him. then i let go it all, but i keep thinking how does he make clothes that even angels would like to wear… in which they would feel safe.
    i think, i am almost certain that she would love to wear his clothes. she = georgia o’keeffe. i am convinced that she would wear it just like he imagined a woman obsessed with creation would wear it… after all, she has worn it. that’s it, right? fraternity of persons in space… paths cross for people of same energy at some point, even if they come from different periods…
    [​IMG]
    yohji yamamoto, v&a museum, london, 2011
    [​IMG]
    photo by dan budnik
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    georgia O’keeffe in santa fe, by photographer tony vaccaro for look magazine (1960)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    georgia O’keeffe by laura gilpin, 1953
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    photo by john loengard, 1966
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    photo by cecil beaton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    photo by eliot porter
    i think it’s so foolish for people to want to be happy. happy is so momentary – you’re happy for an instant and then you start thinking again. (georgia O’keeffe)
    [​IMG]
    “why black? black is modest and arrogant at the same time. black is lazy and easy — but mysterious. it means that many things go together, yet it takes different aspects in many fabrics. you need black to have a silhouette. black can swallow light, or make things look sharp. but above all black says this: ‘i don’t bother you — don’t bother me!” (yohji yamamoto)
    there’s something about black. you feel hidden away in it. (georgia o’keeffe)
    [​IMG]
    photo by george f. mobley, national geographic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    post scriptum:
    or brotherhood of persons in the universe (and sometimes on the earth also) i have finished today’s post and i realized that I must add this p.s.she, who painted flowers so strong, so powerful, said that she hates flowers. he, who creates fashion that is timeless, divine, said that he hates fashion. the two people who probably never met, she died in 1986. and her japanese exhibition was in tokyo (the seibu museum of art), posthumously in 1988… but, obviously, they separately shared so much in their lives… the beauty of good energies…
    “i hate flowers – i paint them because they’re cheaper than models and they don’t move. ”
    “i know i can not paint a flower. i can not paint the sun on the desert on a bright summer morning but maybe in terms of paint color i can convey to you my experience of the flower or the experience that makes the flower of significance to me at that particular time.”
    a flower is relatively small. everyone has many associations with a flower – the idea of flowers. you put out your hand to touch the flower — lean forward to smell it — maybe touch it with your lips almost without thinking — or give it to someone to please them. still — in a way — nobody sees a flower — really — it is so small — we haven’t time — and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time …”

– georgia O’keeffe
    yohji yamamoto: i hate fashion.
    claudia riedel: from the beginning until today?
    yohji yamamoto: yes, i may be making fashion in the sense of craftmanship, but i hate the world of fashion.
    claudia riedel: why do you hate it?
    yohji yamamoto: fashion sighs after trends. i want timeless elegance. fashion has no time. i do. i say.: hello lady, how can i help you? fashion has no time to even ask such a question, because it is constantly concerned with finding out: what will come next? it is more about helping women to suffer less, to attain more freedom and independence.

brotherhood of persons in the universe – tin ujević
    “do not be afraid! you are not alone! there are also others like you
    that’s unknown of you, living their lives. “

12 people like this.
  8. kamsky

kamsky Member

If you were in SF, that was probably me

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hayes Street? Suit looked really cool.

- - -

speaking of suits how about these new brush fabric.. go Yohji.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. ProfMonnitoff

ProfMonnitoff Well-Known Member

I have to admit that after my first look at the show I am not excited by any of the printed pieces.

However there were still many great parts to the show.

This return to 2001:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This suit is wonderful
    [​IMG][​IMG]

There were many nice attempts to cut a jacket in different, but i think some of it got lost a bit under the loud graphic stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. visa

visa Member

The last part with sketches is alright.
    The 'bright-n-stripy' part of collection looks like average Y-3 fastfood. Especially with those trainers.
    The 'for rent' print is next to ridiculous. This sale/rent joke isn't funny anymore. Never was.
    The missing posters were better by a mile.

It doesn't kill Angela Merkel at all.

Fav look:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

picked a fav look that looks like margaret howell and dare to give such a comments?

the collection was on point again loads of beautiful external bias binding finishings, good contrast with very raw finishings from the last season. i'm sure the prints have some sort of process behind and not just digital. looked fantastic when the boys walked by. the casting brief of the show was "young", not many typical old guys in this season too. i think it was fresh and good for the stores.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    2 people like this.
  13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Thought the first print look was great. Can't wait to see the fabrics in person. Loved everything about this look.

[​IMG]

14. sepp

sepp Senior member

I like those doodle prints with Yohji and the dog on leash too. Those paint splashed loose or balloon pants will be very a interesting alternative to his usual black ones.

Could be a great casual staple come next summer.

15. visa

visa Member

margaret howell look is a sarcastic reaction to this show. 'nothing special' - that's the message of this look and of this collection. that's how i feel.

sure, there are pretty much nice garments, but the looks, the color palette, the printy games, the crush suits, even the make-up... just not my cuppa.

i'm not a cunty buyer from a cool concept store nor a fashion journo, so i do not wait for contrast changes every new season like a naughty little girl.

if the AW15 was multi-layered and raw edged why the next thing should be 'clean' and 'sporty'. because of the industry rules? i don't buy it.

bring the old fat guys in hardcore hakamas back! :cool:

16. StevenE

StevenE Senior member

i like margaret howell

1 person likes this.
  17. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

Each our own but I'm wth Kiko on this one. We shared the same vantage point so the things he said are echoed too.

18. kamsky

kamsky Member

Thanks man! Yes, had just been to Davies Symphony Hall that night.

Overall first (somewhat knee-jerky) reaction to SS 2016 is that it has some very good pieces; may not be as cogent or cohesive as a collection goes as something like AW 2014, but there are a lot of pieces that strike me as convincing. Looks 3, 7, 10 & 19 so far are stand-outs.

19. StevenE

StevenE Senior member

There's some unusually feminine looks as well, like 21 and 22.

20. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

which show are you looking at?

2 people like this.