• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
reinhard or yohji (obv) are good starting places. the felted rabbit one i have is quite nice and not too dissimilar.

Last edited:

Arche

Reaction score
Interest check on a couple of things I'm thinking of selling to pay for recent purchases. I'll add more photos soon, but I'll just describe the things in the meantime. If I don't get any interest here, I will put them up on Ebay.

Firstly, I have Y's for Men black wool gabardine jacket. Not the usual blazer style, more like a work jacket, if that's the right term. Three large pockets on the front. Very simple, probably an AW piece, since the fabric is fairly thick. Fully lined. Nice baggy, dropped shoulder shape.

Secondly, a YYPH pony leather hat. Not sure of the season. I wore it in a couple of fit pics a while back. Beautiful colour, although hard to describe and not captured by photos. It's a kind of smoky grey, which changes colour slightly in changing light, and in some light has subtle hints of grey-brown and even grey-green. I like it, but I don't think it really suits my face shape, and it is a little bit small for me.

Just to clarify, the photo below is only of the hat. The long coat is YYPH and I'm definitely not selling that :) . I'll post a photo of the jacket soon.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Last edited:

Auburn

Reaction score
I've not been able to check on the thread as much as I'd like but that is one of my favorite fits of yours David!

On an unrelated note, I am looking for a black backpack.... I'd like one in black leather but I've been forced to drastically cut back my spending so any suggestions would be welcome. Lncc has a yohji one that is basically the archetype of what I'd like: Yohji sack

davidlee388

Reaction score

I've not been able to check on the thread as much as I'd like but that is one of my favorite fits of yours David!

On an unrelated note, I am looking for a black backpack.... I'd like one in black leather but I've been forced to drastically cut back my spending so any suggestions would be welcome. Lncc has a yohji one that is basically the archetype of what I'd like: Yohji sack

Thanks for the comment :)

What is the budget you want to spend on a backpack? If that LN-CC piece is what you're ideally after I can inform you whereas Europe charges about 30% more retail on Yohji clothes compared to Japan/Asia, it's even more outrageous with accessories. I bought this sack for my wife whilst we're in HK since the price was soooo good so I have the tag code if you're interested to track down a store order in Japan. Incidentally it's also available in beige.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

where to cop

check out toj

i edited it out of my last post, but there where2kop (which, however much humor intended, is an indication of the depth of consumerist aspirations) along with overprescription of toj garments--roughly as interesting to me as slim-cut eddie bauer products--is what i despise the most about swd. The sanctity of this place has been fouled with such ironic twist, the one thread where i thought i could withdraw to now plagued by these very two things :laugh:

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm so sorry i defiled your thread about wearing things you buy and buying things to wear with consumerist bourgeois materialist bullshit but the guy asked where he could buy a friggin black backpack and it so happens toj is making a black suede daypack that looks wonderful.

You can't isolate clothing from consumerism no matter how hard you want to believe in the sanctity of yohji san's artistry. It's clothing. You buy it to wear it. Buying is inherent in clothing. Consumerism is inherent in clothing no matter if its supreme or yohji. Oh noes. I mentioned supreme in a yohji thread. Just because I use the word cop semi ironically doesn't make it more consumerist than if i used the word buy.

I agree with you that toj is over prescribed ( I don't think the jackets look good on athletic guys or guys with built lower legs) but i don't see how my recommendation was an inappropriate one

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with buying and consumption, that is the thread that ties this hobby together. but it's taken to a whole new level around these parts. everything and anything posted is immediately followed by a where2kop comment as if nothing can be discussed re: a designer or appreciated about an item save it's soon-to-be-discounted price tag. the rest of swd is near-unreadable most times.

this isn't my thread, you can post whatever you want anywhere. i was just over-optimistic about some place i could come to engage in more than just what ends up on an invoice.

oh well.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But why can't you have both? Asking where to buy things and talking about the things you bought aren't mutually exclusive things. I would actually imagine the more people that ask where to buy things the more will buy them and the more content will be put in this thread for you to enjoy

I understand where you're coming from re:distaste for excessive focus on consumerism but IMO you're veering to the other extreme of condescension for anything that smells like consumerism. You can have both consumerism and respect for the designer

But out of respect for you ill try to preserve what you had here

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
that's a valid argument because 1) without handling an object how can you comment on it but with superficial analysis and 2) there more people venture out and explore the more they can come back and discuss meaningfully.

but the first point is rendered useless because only certain trends are sought after and you see sudden purchases in large clusters, i highly doubt that many people come to the same decisions independently and simultaneously. the latest example i can think of were those extremely chunky-soled white shoes derk shared, 10-15 posts followed about where to buy and links (which i even provided) and within hours the stockists were cleared of most sizes. the second point is also affected by this, people don't go out and explore in that sense but instead go with a tour group handed a map of the interesting sights they should be looking at, sorta like being offered a particular garment at every turn just because it's the easy option or because it has a large following. this leads to monotony and less individual identity (relative to this community, because this is where we're discussing, not relative to whatever college town or office job or hipster suburb people interact with on a daily basis). case in point: i posted about a rarely if ever discussed label in the blazer thread, showed a pic and described the treatment process of that garment, met immediately with a where2kop. not a single conversation followed about various treatments of fabrics, similar vintage-inspired designers, sourcing of different garments from different cultures throughout different epochs to make a patch-work piece, there are several pieces of journalism on that brand nobody wanted to look up, just a question of how much, where, and does it hit discount ?

i absolutely don't mean to pick on you or toj (however annoying the fan-boyism and sense of self-importance may be), but it just happened that you used the two phrases that embody all that i've come to dislike about this place, and something that's almost actively encouraged with the affiliate threads, posting of sales and links to b&s items (hypocrite arlert: i've a sig riddled with b&s stuff and a history of posting many sales/codes). at least in this thread there was a great depth of information, members versed quite well in the realm of yy garments, david in particular has been extremely gracious about meticulously sharing every detail of every garment from his vast collections, and in my opinion some of the best fits have been posted here which i found inspiring. and of course the purchasing aspects, but intertwined with the rest it proved an overall satisfying experience. can't say the same about anywhere else, i don't think.
you should feel no need to preserve anything, a forum/thread is just a reflection of its users and i'd never wish to dictate its course in an inorganic fashion. and were it not for you, i don't think i'd have been able to articulate why i felt the way i did, so thanks to you too. please don't let this verbiage discourage you from posting here, especially now that you've embarked on a new project involving a great deal more volume than perhaps you're used to !

so as to not be a totally useless contribution, some y's instagrams

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovin´ the sneakers, where2kop? plsthx.

peepwall[1].gif

But seriously, those kicks look so good. I don´t even mind that they´re women´s (they are, right?). I´d totally wear those. The print on the white tank is also great.

dantebykiko

Reaction score

what you carrying?

i'm using this: http://www.acrnm.com/collections/3rdarm/products/3a-9ts
and this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FsIUVu6lcJo/TQuLGmwqNGI/AAAAAAAAD7I/zxVxulr0twI/s1600/head+porter+beg.jpg (black beauty series) been wearing 2 years almost everyday, can't **** with porter bags. thinking about replacing it with an other black beauty very soon.

this is good too: http://www.endclothing.co.uk/ally-capellino-dean-rucksack-95951.html

might as well add and this:

ss94(100% silk), ss12, ss11, converse.

y's, uniqlo, y's, converse

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score

Lovin´ the sneakers, where2kop? plsthx.

peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

But seriously, those kicks look so good. I don´t even mind that they´re women´s (they are, right?). I´d totally wear those. The print on the white tank is also great.

Yes those kicks are good, but are they Y-3 SS13 Shizuka 2 instead of Y's?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads