1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

Awesome, looking forward to reading stuff in this thread. Unfortunately I don't have much to add.

2. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

yeah fantastic thread, thanks ivwri. i've always liked yohji but didn't know where to begin.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  3. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Are any of his proteges any good and do they make men's clothing?

4. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Great read, I just read/watched every interview in this thread. The Yohji aesthetic is really fascinating and is something I'd love to experiment with if only the prices weren't so high.

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

Do you have some names in mind ?

The only ones I know of are Michiko Suzuki (used to design Y's Red label and has now her own line, it's called Nocturne #22 In C Sharp Minor, Op. Posth, believe it) and... Limi Feu I guess.

Limi Feu usually has a couple of men's outfits in her shows.

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Kiryuyrik (pronounced: Kiryu-Kiryu) was founded in 2002 by two former employees of Yohji Yamamoto Inc.: designer Masakatsu Takayanagi and director/press agent Yuki Taniyama.

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

I was going to post "that doesn't make a bloody bit of sense phonetically" until I (fortunately) realized the second kiryu is backwards.

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

9. ffatt

ffatt Senior member

I feel this way myself...have ignored YY for years in favour of others. Now, I feel a natural affinity for some reason.

10. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Well, looks like I get to do some posting after all!

"Like Finding A Lost Wedding Ring" Yohji Yamamoto in conversation with Ligaya Salazar. Click to make bigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of Yohji's most famous collections - Women's Spring 1999 (The Wedding Collection)

Part 1
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Part 2
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Part 3
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yohji Yamamoto 30th Anniversary video. The music is the same as that used for the FW11 Pour Homme collection. It's by Fink and is called "If Only".

-----------------------------------------------

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]​

Some books on/by/about Yohji. I have personally read and own "My Dear Bomb", Rewind/Forward and "Talking To Myself" from this list (expecting the memoirs and the ligaya salazar one later on this month though :slayer:) and would recommend them without any hesitation at all. Excellent insights into the mind of the man himself and some really nice photos and sketches in "Talking to Myself". Rewind/Forward has some truly breathtaking images from clothes and collections throughout a good span of Yohji's career and is definitely worth owning. Including a video of it to give a small preview :).

On working with Rei Kawakubo and Yohji Yamamoto -
    via

12. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Thanks for the info sipang and Unc. Didn't know about Nocturne #22. I actually quite like the silly name. Hehe.

13. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

[​IMG]

Thought I would put up some Y-3 stuff.

First up, Y-3 collection for SS2012. The womenswear overall was more interesting than the menwear, but there are some very nice pieces in there like the white and black shirt with the diagonal chest pocket or the translucent hooded jacket. Definitely going to be getting a few of these items next year.

Some of my favourite looks -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video -

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Does Yohji personally design the whole Y-3 line (including footwear)? I was annoyed to see his full name emblazoned on a pair of Y-3 sneakers (I took it to be some manner of aspirational branding), but maybe I shouldn't have been.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: added spoiler to save space

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  15. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I don't actually know to be honest. The current creative director for Y-3 is a guy called Dirk Schonberger so I imagine that he has a pretty solid amount of input into the design process with Yohji having final say on what does and doesn't make the cut, but I don't know the actual relationship. With the financial crisis his company faced and the new investors, one can never know how much may be the new investors pushing Yohji to shill a little bit more to pay the bills.

Having said that, it seems likely that Yohji would be pretty hands-on with Y-3 as 1, he just seems like that sort of guy - not ready to just slap his name on something he had no input in creating and 2, the Y-3 documentary "This is my Dream" that just came out follows their preparations for the 2010 collection and I imagine quite a bit of it would have shown Yohji at work.

EDIT - Corrected the collection date to "2010"

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012