• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
esox if it doesnt work out for you....;)

for sure. In my value matrix it doesn't cut it but perhaps there are more people than not who like the tanks. I personally think the other items are just soo much more interesting and exciting.

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
you bought size 1? i'm confused why someone would want to buy such a slim pair of trousers from yohji? doesn't make any sense to me. the linen one are much better i think..

StevenE

Reaction score
I got size 2. I don't think I've ever seen YYPH trousers in size 1 (does the Conduit st store even carry size 1 anything?).

for anyone who hasn't clicked the link:

I strongly doubt that they'll be all that slim on me - because my natural build is indeed very slim- a lot of older trousers and particularly wide ones I physically struggle to wear. With these, they look pretty slim on that model, but I'm expecting to need a belt to keep it up. My experiences with past purchases has been that LN-CC's a/w12 photography and casting made the items look vastly slimmer than in reality.

But regardless the Yohji aesthetic means more than just baggy trousers to me- it's not a fixation I share with many buyers, admittedly. I only came to the label in the last three years, and I'd say in recent collections the average silhouette is growing tighter and tighter, so i probably reflect the preferences and direction of someone who came to the brand after 2009-ish. We're never going to get YYPH ultra-fitted elasticated skinny jeans (though saying that, didn't the s/s13 show feature leggings? Anyone know if they made it to stores?), but trousers like these aren't the outliers that they would have been perhaps 10 years ago. I haven't seen the s/s13 stock yet, but when I think back to conduit street's a/w12 stock, my experience was that well over half of the trousers were a comparable shape, size and width to these.

But ultimately, when it comes down to it I just don't think ultra-baggy trousers suit me all that well, and the label's trajectory is beneficial to someone of my shape. My hope is that these will prove just right.

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score

I got size 2. I don't think I've ever seen YYPH trousers in size 1 (does the Conduit st store even carry size 1 anything?). for anyone who hasn't clicked the link: I strongly doubt that they'll be all that slim on me - because my natural build is indeed very slim- a lot of older trousers and particularly wide ones I physically struggle to wear. With these, they look pretty slim on that model, but I'm expecting to need a belt to keep it up. My experiences with past purchases has been that LN-CC's a/w12 photography and casting made the items look vastly slimmer than in reality. But regardless the Yohji aesthetic means more than just baggy trousers to me- it's not a fixation I share with many buyers, admittedly. I only came to the label in the last three years, and I'd say in recent collections the average silhouette is growing tighter and tighter, so i probably reflect the preferences and direction of someone who came to the brand after 2009-ish. We're never going to get YYPH ultra-fitted elasticated skinny jeans (though saying that, didn't the s/s13 show feature leggings? Anyone know if they made it to stores?), but trousers like these aren't the outliers that they would have been perhaps 10 years ago. I haven't seen the s/s13 stock yet, but when I think back to conduit street's a/w12 stock, my experience was that well over half of the trousers were a comparable shape, size and width to these. But ultimately, when it comes down to it I just don't think ultra-baggy trousers suit me all that well, and the label's trajectory is beneficial to someone of my shape. My hope is that these will prove just right.
I do agree that not all Yohji trousers are supposed to be baggy, especially if you said some baggy YY pants feel uncomfortable for you to wear then there's no point. A lot of YYPH looks on runways in recent years were oversized blazers paired with slim ( ish ) pants which worked imo. I stated this with caution since his " slim " pants were still relatively roomy by conventional standard. However for the first time ever, I had to exchange a pair of sz 2 YYPH pants I bought @ presale in Cambon ( AW12 Look 25 wool pants ) because they were too small in the waist ( 31", almost unheard of for a sz 2 YYPH ) and the overall silhouette just wasn't good. I am 31" in the waist which means i couldnt wear them after a meal or trying to tuck a shirt in. Perhaps I'm just too used to this baggy goodness but this is a shock. Also the crotch area felt decidedly short, like the pants on LN-CC you showed. So I hope they will fit you and certainly a gamble worth taking especially of the % reduction + no quibble return policy.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I found one of my grail items on fleaBay, but it's a size 4. arrggggh! It's the jacket from Look 08 AW2007. Tempting, but it would look nothing like the runway on me.

"Penalize the offenders with heavy fines!!!!"

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know i was contemplating it too! But for now i must wait

barrangadang

Reaction score
I was debating grabbing some of that seller's other stuff, but I'm nervous about duties.

sshum

Reaction score
David, when you have a moment after you are done with the CNY festivities, would be interested in hearing more about your new pieces since I will likely never handle these in person.

From previous posts, I thought you were a size 3 so did you size down to a 2 because the pieces were fitting big? With the wrap pants, how much extra material forms the flap? It's difficult to tell from any pics how far the 'wrap' goes. And with the train on the blazer - does the train fasten underneath the back of the jacket when you don't want to unveil the train?

Gung Hei Fat Choi

YYPH SS13 Look 21 Extendable " Train " Blazer - 56/44 cupro/cotton.

YYPH SS13 Look 21 Wrap Pants - the 100 wool gab iteration. Here worn unwrapped.

Both sz 2, the blazer feels like a coat at the back, the pants feel like a coat at the front. Flow/drape epitomised.

Gung Hei Fat Choi
270c.png

StevenE

Reaction score
I know they have a lot of stock to photograph but would it really hurt yoox so much to not somehow make every single item they touch look like utter ****? (Some YY, particularly the Femme line, is so manhandled as to be genuinely somewhat upsetting.)

EDIT: @david, nice jacket.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey, yoox's really bad photography is what lets items make it to a price I can afford!!

don't take that away from me :happy:

davidlee388

Reaction score

David, when you have a moment after you are done with the CNY festivities, would be interested in hearing more about your new pieces since I will likely never handle these in person.

From previous posts, I thought you were a size 3 so did you size down to a 2 because the pieces were fitting big? With the wrap pants, how much extra material forms the flap? It's difficult to tell from any pics how far the 'wrap' goes. And with the train on the blazer - does the train fasten underneath the back of the jacket when you don't want to unveil the train?

I'm normally a sz 2 for both YYPH pants and blazers/coat but pants sometimes are O/S ( sz 3 ) so they will have to do ( belt and roll or tailor length ). Some blazers fit me in sz 3, depends on the cut

The train blazer ( Look 21 ) fits slightly oversized due to its cut + absence of lining + shoulder pads. The inner back panel has 9 double buttons about 12" from the bottom so the outer fabric ( 7 button holes ) can be folded inside the panel, on top of it or you can play asymmetry ( partly buttoned ).

The wrap pants have max waist of 34" in sz 2 or I'll say they are cut the normal oversizeness for his pants. The " wrap " fabric is about 1.75 times the normal amount of leg fabric at the hems, to about a few inches overlap at the waist, so lots of movement options.

You can see the train blazer as well in blue iteration ( Look? ) on Barneys website. The dotted 2B blazer listed there have been tried as well, I need a sz 3 to be completely comfortable chest wise. One iteration of the wool gab zip out pocket blazers is tight in sz 2 ( J49-100, can't remember which Runway Look ) and yet the other version, also 3B, J48-100 ( Look?? ) is ok in sz 2 even at first glance it's similar to J49..... Look 32 blue rayon print shirt jacket absolutely great and enormous in sz 2 ( batwing sleeves ), 5B closure.

So the cut in blazers can still be random this season though not as small as SS12.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads