Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1. beautiful ^^^

I found some back details from homme ss12 at italian vogue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2012

2. asobu

asobu Senior member

^great stuff

for more menswear examples there's the suspender collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I've broken and just bought my first Yohji piece.

Yes it's fairly restrained and not the bravest piece I could start with, but it will work with pieces in my existing wardrobe whilst I hunt out/save up for a pair of Yohji trousers and a shirt, whilst still having enough of the over-sized but beautifully cut look. It's diffusion (Yohji Yamamoto Costume D'Homme) but from what I can gather this isn't a bad line - certainly it's nice fabric, well cut and nicely made. BNWT for a reasonable price, excuse the dodgy ebay pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. asobu

asobu Senior member

I'm glad you did! I honestly think Yohji - both YYPH and costume d'homme - would look fantastic on you. :slayer: Like you said, the latter is more restrained design wise and is more formal in cuts and detailing but the quality is up with YYPH from what I've seen (retail prices too...) and the fabrics are very nice in beautiful wools and cotton. This is a classic coat and definitely not a bad starting point and following it up with some pants and shirts will hopefully get you hooked, hehe.

5. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Looks good MoK!

Let us know your size so we can enable more effectively :devil:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

6. xumatrix

xumatrix Well-Known Member

Yohji Yamamoto show at Den-En Colosseum, Tokyo, Japan 1981. 180 outfits

For educational purpose only LOL

Enjoy

7. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Cheers. Size wise the coat's a 4 and I think that's what I'd need in a shirt (42-43" chest). Pants wise I generally take a 36" so I'm guessing it's going to be a 4/5. Size 2 Yohji stuff seems easy to come by but the larger sizes are a little less common. I'm after plain trousers (not keen on pinstripes beyond suits), preferably black or grey and probably a white shirt, though grey or black are possibilities. Pricing is going to have to be reasonable (I've bought too Cabourn jackets this month already...).

8. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

That was a great video, thanks for posting. Always interesting to see his really early stuff in motion. I also liked the way the models were moving :)
    Orders received and understood captain! Can't wait to see a WAYWT post :slayer:

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Y-3 Spring/Summer 2012 Campaign Video -

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

February 08, 2012 (Germany)

via

10. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

On the women's side, one of Yohji's muses was the German dancer, Pina Bausch.

[​IMG]

- Taken from the COMING SOON blog. The post on Pina is pretty cool and it also brings into perspective the COMING SOON campaign videos which were all heavily dance performance inspired.

A picture from the 25th anniversary performance -

[​IMG]

He also apparently dedicated a collection to her in 1990. I found some Nick Knight campaign pictures from the Spring Summer collection of that year online and one of them looks dance inspired to me. I am not sure whether this is the collection in question though. Will do some more digging. Here are the pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, a video trailer for a film made by Wim Wenders about Pina Bausch. Talking about dance and movement with still images is a major disservice to the form :). You can see how dance would have influenced Yohji as a designer, that fusion of body and clothing into this abstract whole is something I can imagine appealing to him. Yohji's clothes always seem to be designed to follow the movement of the wearer closely without restricting it or imposing their own form on the body. Unlike designers like Carol Christian Poell whose very ethic seems to be the complete antithesis to this.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

12. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yohji Yamamoto Pour Homme Spring 2006 'Baseball' collection.

The show was set to a rendition of "Take me out to the ball game" and, as is pretty obvious, was inspired heavily by baseball.

Despite my having no love for the sport (don't hurt me!), I really like the styling and a lot of the pieces (have a jacket and a pair of pants thanks to asobu and both are pretty cool). Still on the lookout for the suspenders and the cropped pants in black or polka dot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kids also look like they had a lot of fun :happy:.

13. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

The pants for the SS2009 suit I wore a while back are up for sale in a size 2 on eBay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Auction is here. :slayer:

The material is gorgeous (a linen and silk blend) and the colour is great.

14. asobu

asobu Senior member

It is indeed S/S 1990 that is the 'Pina' collection. Pics online are scarce though. Here are two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awwww hell yeah!! :slayer: You have no idea how long I've wanted to see this in motion! I love this collection, even though part of it are not for me (the overly military ones, the leather at the end) I still love the vibe so much. The distressed pinstripes are fun and so good, some of the overcoats are amazing and I'm weirdly drawn to the tattoo print silk suits. :embar:

15. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

Goddammit. I've been looking into sizing Yohji knits and it looks like all the good ones are in size 3 which is much too long for me :plain: They fall in the 28-29" length range whereas 25-27" is my ideal (for crewnecks, at least).

wish there were fit pics of some shorter dudes rocking the oversized knit successfully look so i could get some validation, but alas it probably was not meant to be.

someone buy this so i get less depressed about being short :eek:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/288026/yohji-yamamoto-pour-homme-fair-isle-sweater-size-3

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012