1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. sipang

sipang Senior member

Well, it seems only appropriate in a thread that :slayer::slayer:

(There's a 68,4% chance I am one of those two things. )

2. the shah

the shah Senior member

*bzzzz*

Charlotte is Anglo-French and would be insulted by this commentary in bold :teach:

3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Oh, I wasn't referring to who sip-san was an avatar of, but his own nationality...unless Charlotte Gainsbourg is actually an avatar of sipang?? :puzzled:

1 person likes this.
  4. sipang

sipang Senior member

This will be my answer on the matter

[​IMG]

wearing YY (but that goes without saying)

edit: I've already said too much

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. asobu

asobu Senior member

Fucking great stuff sipang, thanks for posting. In the spirit of this page, I thought I might post another show from the archives (though not as far back as that). I guess we can keep dropping these off in the thread when we need to bring it back to the front page

SPRING-SUMMER 2002

A season that featured japanese elements like shibori and yuzen dying, using flat cutting patterns that evoked kimonos. Also continued with the adidas collab influences like sneakers and 3 stripes that carried over from the previous season.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

HQs (full season):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I really like his kimono inspired cuts. Something about the way the clothes hang really evokes that feeling of ma and by extension a feeling of zen or awareness.

Clothes that don't hew closely to the body evoke a feeling of "peace" or "awareness" of some kind for me. Maybe it is the association I make between that style of clothing and nomadic people in harsh environments who tend to have a less self-centered view of the universe and are more accepting of things. I think Yohji has managed to transfer that feeling into his designs, even slimmer and more fitted cuts. That irreverence he brings in detailing and of course how the clothes sit on the body.

I remember how I ended up with my first Yohji clothing item. I was looking for Ann Demeulemeester shirts and wanted to purchase a pair of Yohji pants because I was looking for loose-fitting trousers at the time. I ended up in a store that stocked Yohji after loads of searching and while they didn't have pants in my size, they did have a jacket and a shirt. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic (or even worse like a plagiarist :embar:), the jacket felt like something I already owned, or rather, that the jacket was something that "belonged" to an ideal me. Was pretty bizarre having an item of clothing make me feel that way, but it made me a fan right away.

Anyway, thought I would add some more images :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

How do you guys wear these long pants without stepping all over them? :embar:

Should I get them hemmed to a proper trouser length? Won't that kill the Yohji-ness of them? Boots with linen pants??? I'm not sure how to deal with all this fabric below my feet. (These are the YYPH linen pants on sale at WW btw. (SS11?) They still have a size 2 for a 28-30 waist. They are really beautiful. Shirt is also a new purchase from Kolor, thus the tags.)
    [​IMG]

8. the shah

the shah Senior member

i guess chonky footwear helps with it slipping below your heels.

or some of the offerings i've encountered have had nice taper at the very bottom which gives a sort of egg silhouette (but that's ok since then it blends into damir seamlessly as well :embar: )

9. wireartists

wireartists Well-Known Member

yohji says roll them up

asobu, that's one of my favourite collection after 99. It's just perfect...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

My entry into yohji-san style: Coming Soon cotton shirt and wool/cotton pants. These have ties at the ankles for genie effect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Looking good Parker. Would have thumbed up your post in the waywt thread, but can't thumb up from any iDevice for some reason.

Caveat, I roll up my pants just like wire said., sometimes to show some ankle and other times so it just rests on the shoe/sandal. I find that I quite like the way his linen pants look with the fabric all on the floor though. Means that you have to pull them up often, but that's a small price to pay for looking super relaxed :D

12. MyMindSpray

MyMindSpray Active Member

its been years since i've regularly visited this forum as it seemed that the Americana look had taken over the last few years...it's refreshing to see new threads pop up devoted to Stephan Schneider, Robert Geller and of course, the master Yohji....

i must say that going through this thread from beginning to end has not only been a reminder of how great he is, but also how many of the new wave japanese designers can't and won't come close to creating the legacy he has...

It's also pleasing to see that so many people have continued to, fallen in love with or fallen in love with AGAIN, his vision...

i just wanted to offer my two cents and offer a pat on the back Ivwri for starting this thread and doing it right!

as a long time fan of Yohji's work, its nice to see his presence still felt by young and old...

13. PregnantBob

PregnantBob Senior member

Bought a coat... i had been looking for a great Yohji coat FOREVER!!! but then the ebay seller tells me they sold it instore at their physical location... and there was no warning on their auction.

So god damn angry, if it weren't for the fact that I had bought from them before I would have chucked a hissy hehe.

I would appreciate it if you guys point me to some good yohji coats.

I've got the jacket and pants, both in size 2. The pants were a gift but the jacket I bought from eBay... from someone who I think is a regular here too

14. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

i've always wondered, how does one design so many pieces? :embar:

15. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Glad you like the thread MindSpray :D!

Will keep an eye out for you PregnantBob. Pretty sure I remember seeing some good stuff in your size.

16. ghostface

ghostface Senior member

sorry for the quasi-spam, but i'm selling this yohji jacket in b&s and have gotten a couple of questions about which season it's from. do any of you guys happen to know? the code is HV-J43-400-4A, if that's any help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. PregnantBob

PregnantBob Senior member

Mate thank you very much, you're one of my favourite people right now, what with this thread and helping bring everyone together! :D

According to the charts provided from SZ and reposted here it's either SS09 or AW01... so check the fabric, it's it's wool of any type it'll be AW but if it's a cotton blend, linen or raymie or polyester then more likely than not it'll be SS.

18. asobu

asobu Senior member

SS09. This particular jacket wasn't presented on the runway - not the color nor this particular cut - but several jackets in the same (or similar?) fabric was. Like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amazing jacket btw, if this had been in the cotton/wool blend or if I had the matching pants I would've snatched it right up.

19. Auburn

Auburn Senior member

I've been peeking around on ebay for Yohji things and have seen a few items, such as this jacket, with a size of "M". Is this a difference between mainline Yohji and Y's or something else? Yohji is always underlining his manufacturing process and how it is so Japan-based but I've noticed that some of his clothes are made in France. Is there are specific reason for this? Thanks for helping a Yohji newcomer out!

20. ghostface

ghostface Senior member

awesome, thanks a lot guys!