Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Found this interview on NOWNESS. They interviewed both Yohji and Zidane on Y-3.

Rest of the interview here

And this one over on The Fashion Spot by Claudia Riedel -

Read more: Yohji Yamamoto: " I Hate Fashion " - the Fashion Spot click

2. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Great quotes there. I know "to live is to suffer" is central to Eastern beliefs, but it's interesting to hear it coming from someone whose life's work is so full of life, joy and humor.

3. Lane

Lane Senior member

love what he says about fashion, its so repulsive at times.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

What are some go-to places for Yohji footwear? The more I see the more I like. Ivwri, that pair you had on in your last WAYWT was amazing.

5. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

They are great shoes indeed :D.

Well, the list on the front page is pretty representative of the various online stockists at the moment - I think. As for brick and mortar stores, I got those ones from Maxfields in LA. They didn't get that many shoes in for last season though. The flagship stores all over the world have a good selection of course, and it is possible that Barney's might also stock Yohji footwear.

6. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

:facepalm: Ah, right. Sorry about that. I always forget those info-packed first pages exist. Thanks.

7. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

No problem :).

You also got me thinking about the shopping spaces, so, some pictures from Yohji stores around the globe.

Flagship store on Rue Cambon in Paris, France. Designed by Sophie Hicks. More info here and here. Images via Sophie Hicks' website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Y's store in Tokyo, Japan. Designed by Ron Arad. More info here.

[​IMG]

Yohji flagship store in Antwerp, Belgium. Designed by Wim Goes Architecture. Slightly more info here.

[​IMG]

Yohji flagship store in NYC, New York. Designed by Junya Ishigami. Images from here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, both the NYC and Antwerp stores (among others) were closed down when Yohji Yamamoto ran into financial troubles.

8. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

The "A blog curated by..." section on Yohji is pretty great actually. Lots of cool interview snippets, images and information. I am trying to resist buying the magazine edition curated by Yohji Yamamoto for an obnoxious price right now :(.

A friend of mine in Paris had two copies of the Margiela one and they were just tossed on a pile of magazines in his studio. I had to tell him that people were selling them for a pretty good markup on eBay for him to take notice of them again, lol.

9. asobu

asobu Senior member

10. Nil

Nil Senior member

Crosspost from the WAYWT thread of my first Yohji purchase:

[​IMG]

Giuliano Fujiwara mohair cardigan
    B Son
    Yohji Yamamoto pour Homme - cotton with silk organza stripe down the side.
    Fiorentini + Baker

I took advantage of some unseasonably sunny and warm weather and wore these pants I didn't thing I'd break out until spring.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

That's cool. The pants look great there. I imagine they are not as 'shiny' as they look in the picture irl. Great shoes too. Shame it's not a clearer picture, would have liked to get a better sense of the details on the cardigan and the pants.

12. Nil

Nil Senior member

Yeah, they're not so shiny irl. I tried getting more detailed shots, but shitty cell phone camera is shitty and failed at the close ups.

13. 3 Prague Winters

3 Prague Winters Senior member

I had the wool version of this pair of pants and , foolishly, returned them. One of my biggest clothing related regrets. I've been searching for the wool version in size 3 ever since.

14. asobu

asobu Senior member

Nil, they look great, fit is very good. I know the organza part is hard to capture in photos, it's definitley more a muted grey and less 'shiny' in person, and looks great in movements since it's made up of two layers of sorts. You should definitely explore more of this :D

Ivwri, sorry that was the only pic! I found it by accident from a japanese blog of some department store somewhere as they started selling ss12. I guess this is some promo pic, I'm surprised it doesn't seem to have appeared in many other places already.

15. asobu

asobu Senior member

Maybe we should get some archive stuff up in here!

A/W 1991, as far as I know, showed in paris at the end of january 1991 and then showed again together with CdG in Tokyo on June 1st and called "6.1 the men". Still one of the most talked about and coveted collections by Yohji fans in Japan from what I can tell, many of the pieces still catch quite large sums on the second hand market. The theme was "war", several musicians incl Charles Lloyd and John Cale (who also modeled in AW04 btw) modeled the show and apparently sang some antiwar song together at the final part of the show (the collection was created and shown during the gulf war). Some of the signature pieces was the leather jacket with women prints on the back (he referenced this in "my dear bomb" as well, when he talked about nose art of american fighter planes being pictures of "girlfriends and sexy ladies" when heading into battle), zipper jackets and Joan Miró inspired blazers

This is a great story from Ottmar Liebert about his experience when he walked the show, well worth the read

from here

I personally don't have a large interest in most the clothes from this particular collection, but I liked this story and thought it was worth posting, plus it's an important collection in his career, especially this show with Kawakubo in Tokyo.

Now, there aren't many runway shots out there, but just as an example of some of the signature pieces from the collection:

These are just a few of the leather jackets shown and produced, there were many variations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the jackets worn on the runway by Charles Lloyd and some other dude

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two of the Joan Miró inspired blazers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These blazers retailed for $1325 back in 1991.

Oh and my grail one more time - long coat, black melton wool fabric and silk-screen printed rayon lining

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012