1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

Bene my boy, please tell me that this is how you will buy your trousers from now on! I'll be totally honest with you and say that while you've improved a lot I still struggled to enjoy some of your outfits. This, however, is fucking stellar and much better than your short jacket, high roll, cropped sleeve looks w/ tapered pants

Hope you will post this in the wawyt thread, since I would like to see the reactions

footwear could still use some work though, but you know that already : )

1 person likes this.
  2. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I like all the different shapes and sizes, from flowly bene to egg bene, depends on how i feel that day what i wear. I'l post it later today. Gotta review todays lectures! :D

i like my issey crinkle crop sleeve blazer mostest of my blazers :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yup, second vote for the extra-baggy pants being a winner, hehe. Very cool.

4. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

Really Bene, I'm 99.99999% certain that centre crease/pressed line on your pants wasn't there per se. Dry-clean, iron, whatever, get rid of it, it's distracting the voluminous nature of your silhouette. It aint a mean criticism :)

Edit:- I am more drawn to those outrageous peak lapels on a single breasted blazer, i.e. good enough to grace anyone's Yohji wardrobe.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

depends where you wearing your trousers. if you like having them on your true waist you should not remove it..

6. esox

esox Senior member

cool that you like the trouser. fit you great. :)
    wanted to ask today wheter you got it or not.

@ david. i have one y's wool gab trouser with pressed line and i bought it new like that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. asobu

asobu Senior member

it's not uncommon with pressed pants, he does those every season and can be seen on every runway. I have several pairs with a front crease/press, for instance the Dr YY suit, which can be seen on the runway. It was especially common in earlier collections. Pants look good, btw!

8. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Picked up a couple of items from LNCC and would like opinions on sizing and on the pieces in general. Sorry for the bad photos.
    Silk metallic grey trousers. They fit monstrously in the waist. Is this much cinching normal? I'm 5'10 and these are a 3 (didn't have a 2.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think they had slipped down a bit in this one, but gives you the best look at them. I think I'll need a belt.
    [​IMG]

Soutien coat size 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$200 shirt from Barney's sale size 2
    [​IMG]

Okay, so my thoughts..

The silk pants are phenomenal. Just really simple and luxurious. Barely cropped because I went with a 3, so not too much of a stretch for me stylistically. The volume seems perfect. If they will stay up in the waist I think I'm good.

The coat is oversized and I know it's supposed to be. Do I need to have it altered in any way, particularly the sleeves? I know it's meant to be big but it feels like it swallows me.

What is Costume d'homme? I thought the coat was YYPH so what did I just buy? LOL

The Barney's shirt was kind of an impulse buy. Not sure if I'll be able to pull that off, but seems kind of interesting.

1 person likes this.
  9. davidlee388

That's a fair comment [​IMG] The centre crease was evident on those beige linen/ramie blend Looks on the SS09 Runway, however they were not super wide pants, more TTS pants.

Just personal preference, I'd rather wear pants ( especially super oversized ) without the crease. Less formal, more fluent silhouette.

Bene's pants are still great. They complement that blazer well.

10. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

Costume d'Homme is another line from Yohji. From what I've seen the designs are usually very simple, but have very luxe details. For example the linining in your jacket. I have a gorgeous peak lapel overcoat from this line with tons of pick stitching on the lapels and I assume some % of cashmere in the fabric

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Nice pick ups Caveat. Happy you went for the silk pants. They look really good in the first set of pics particularly.

Just like TW said, Costume D'Homme is a different Yohji line with what seems to be a focus on more "basic" pieces. It is quite interesting as it looks like quite a few stores picked up some of the pieces this season. At least way more than normal in my own experience.

12. davidlee388

Well Costume d'Homme literally means men's suit, so it's classically tailored attire, not as oversized as PH I guess. The Cambon Flagship has a section just for that.

13. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

From a few days ago, just forgot to post -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YYPH SS09 blazer with hidden silk/ramie panels beneath the lapels - Picked this up from asobu a while back as a full suit and it is definitely one of my most used jackets. 3-buttons with a wonderful grey silk panel beneath the lapels covered with a ramie mesh. The fabric of the main body is a linen/cupro blend if I remember correctly and it is incredibly light and drapes very well. Goes with so many things in my wardrobe and I love the disheveled vibe it gives off. Full suit is excellent as well with a white tee (I need more u-neck and v-neck light t-shirts!)
    YYPH SS12 cotton shirt
    Unused leather suspenders with cross-bar in front
    YYPH SS00 high waisted wool gabardine pants
    YYPH AW12 boots

10 people like this.
  14. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I want an outfit like that but in biege/brown for the summer

phenomenal stuff iwri

15. asobu

asobu Senior member

that looks fantastic, Ivwri! Glad to hear you're getting good use out of the jacket.

16. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Thanks guys!

asobu the jacket is definitely one of my top purchases from last year. Have worn it all over the place. Sleeve length is great as it comes close to my knuckles, fabric is great with that awesome slubby texture and drape from the linen and the cut is really cool. Lately I have been basically oscillating between two moods with Yohji - either full on tramp/homeless (which this jacket helps me execute beautifully) or zen/introspective and again it fits the bill due to the fabric so it tends to see heavy rotation, hehe. I need to treat it a little better though as I have managed to wreck some of the stitching on the inside of the left sleeve so need to get that re-done at some point (even though I like the feel of the frayed fabric there).

17. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Dbl pst

18. davidlee388

I've said it many times, why hasn't Ivwri been contacted yet by YY Inc. to walk the Runway? He'll do it for nothing if he's given the clothes to take home :)

Lesson:- if you've got it, you've got it. Effortless is the word.

19. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

just want to say that those pants are crazy good, and your pics make me want them way more than the lncc stocks :D

20. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Thanks. I agree and I think they'll get more compliments than anything else I wear. The coat is pretty fantastic as well. I didn't do it justice by not taking better photos with a proper outfit. Just not sure if I will be comfortable with the sleeve length.

Oh, and props to ivwri for recommending I go with size 3 on the pants, despite my waist suggesting a 2 (back when they had both in stock). It really goes back to what these guys keep saying about sizing by your height and not your weight. The pants are the perfect length for me and I think it makes all the difference.