• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got this pair of yyph pants for an insane price from rakuten thanks to dante
shog[1].gif

So i now have two pairs of yohji pants on the way! Really hope I can pull off the whole yohji aesthetic, if not there may be a couple of pairs of pants up for grabs for you guys soon.

Last edited:

stadsvandringar

Reaction score
This is something I've always wondered, but how does one get an invitation to a large scale fashion show? The pics are wonderful!

I'd like to second Auburn's request to David: how did you ultimately get in to the show? I assume you are not working as a part of the fashion industry...

dantebykiko

Reaction score
I'd like to second Auburn's request to David: how did you ultimately get in to the show? I assume you are not working as a part of the fashion industry...
loyal customers get benefits
fistbump.gif
i will leave david to explain the rest.

davidlee388

Reaction score
This is something I've always wondered, but how does one get an invitation to a large scale fashion show? The pics are wonderful!
I cannot speak for others who are involved in the fashion industry, for me ( the consumer ) it's about being passionate about your designer, going to the official store(s) and spending your cash on his clothes ( whether sale or retail ) to support his business in however small or big way, having a friendly relationship with the sales teams, letting them know ( in my case ) you are a loyal follower of his work, and finally asking politely and persistently if such opportunity will arise on short notice to attend his Runway Show ( i.e. taking time off work ). A long time ambition fulfilled at last
smile.gif
An honour and a privilege.

I just about managed to seek out some clear enough shots from our vantage point to post here ( 25 feet diagonally from the end of the Runway ). The powerful spotlights shining our way made those garments look quite different from the head on shots seen online away from the glare, tremendous all the same. We shot the full 18:30 vid as well but yet to find a way to upload it....
puzzled.gif

Photographers/Press getting ready

Y's SA helping with seating, he looked damn good on the target piece of AW12 ( you recognize him a lot on SS11 PH Runway in the background )

Runway Looks ( spot the insolent Tim Blanks on front roll ) - such flowing fabrics. The jumpsuits were great in a out-of-context kind of way.

The rest

Edit:- forgot to mention the Jumpsuits are part of the new Regulation Line ( SA told us ), hence the out-of -context vibe with the Runway :)

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
yohji cover:

btw i have to add that you can be loyal without going and spending cash in the stores. i never did and won't be able to do it any time soon. that doesn't make me unloyal
rolleyes.gif

davidlee388

Reaction score

yohji cover:

btw i have to add that you can be loyal without going and spending cash in the stores. i never did and won't be able to do it any time soon. that doesn't make me unloyal :rolleyes:

Yes yes yes, I meant being a loyal customer to the Official Stores as well as a loyal supporter of the designer. The staff in London and Paris know we are not rich, merely middle class working people spending our hard earned, not the point-and-buy type. They also know full well a lot of my stuff come from auctions, they seem truly surprised by the vast discrepancy between Japanese and European retail prices, and the Y! prices we paid.

I never said not buying from YY Stores is disloyal to the designer. It's only fair ( at least for me and my wife ) to buy now and again ( when we can afford to ) when we spend hours and hours in the stores trying the collections on, drinking the coffee/wine and taking up their time.

esox

Reaction score
very good point. i bought white issey shirt couple of months ago from ebay for £15.... blends perfectly with my yohji garments.

PS: just had quick look on rakuten for issey stuff. i really like this suit: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/brand-kakaku-jfa/w11951/
the price its fantastic and the quality/fit won't be far off yohji's. lovely texture!

also found the shirt type that i own. mine is white: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/brand-kakaku-jfa/y00762f/

i can recomend the combination of miyake and yohji. some items blend very well together. at least the older miyake stuff and for sure the wrinkled shirts.
i would buy the one you found on rakuten. i have some shirts of miyake - the oldest one is more than 20 years old and i wore it often and it still look like new.
unbreakable polyester stuff.
smile.gif
i love it to wear. really relaxing. wash it, dry it for 2 hours and you can wear it again. no ironing needed.
biggrin.gif

i have some wrinkled jackets of miyake and they blend also very nice with the yohji trousers i think.

i can agree to david.

for me it the way was similar to see a yohji show. buying yohji at the flagships is a good way to get an invitation.
smile.gif

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score

Hey Guy, they aren't the same seller. The one selling the SS09 shirt is H-R on Stylezeitgiest. Whoever interested in that can perhaps deal with him directly, save the bidding war.

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
ooooh, weird. I must have completely misread it first thing this morning. Sorry about that!

Arche

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the jacket below and I'm wondering if anyone knows which season it's from. I think it's YYPH, but that's all I know. The decorative front panels are apparently made of paper, and I'm trying to determine if they were originally as torn as they look in this photo. I'd also be interested in any other information anyone has about the paper used. It's an intriguing concept, but sounds potentially very impractical (Can it be dry-cleaned? What if it gets wet? Is it very fragile?).

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the paper is torn from production. I don't know how delicate it is but my guess it's holding up pretty well. It's from S/S 99, this is the only runway shot I have of it:

00035_L.jpg

david, amaaazing pics man! Looks like you had a great time. :slayer:

Last edited:

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following slstr's example and checking out rakuten, but I've got a question: a lot of the Yohji "bottoms" are described as "underwear" in the product title or description. Is this just the result of a bad translation for the word "bottoms," or am I really looking at what is essentially Yohji long-underwear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads