1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. slstr

slstr Senior member

ah, well i'm also 5 10 and have tried on both size 2s and 3s that fit me fine, Yohji is a lot more flexible in sizing than other brands, take a look at the measurements and see if they work for you, if the waist is way too big, wear a belt, if the inseam is too big, roll!

2. Auburn

Auburn Senior member

You are probably better off going with a 3 or maybe a 4. I am 6 feet and 3 is basically as low as I could go, while still retaining the shape I like. Although I do have a favorite pair of mid 90s wool gabardines and they are a medium, so sometimes it depends on the year or cut of the pant in question.

3. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

I am tallest at 1.68m first thing in the morning then shrink gradually comes midnight. Size 2 is my default pants size for YYPH ( size 3 for extra homelessness ). Probably have to size up if you are buying early 00s Y's for men pants ( much smaller waist ).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like to err larger on the pants. e.g. me today. Size 3 -- I'm 5'8 (172cm) navy costume d'homme rayon shirt, gray cotton Ys pants / chucks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17 people like this.
  5. the shah

the shah Senior member

6. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Great pic parker! My issue is i perfer to avoid belts. Usually i just let the pants fall till they cant fall no mo, if you look at the black pants with the blue stripe you can see its droppin real low :D

1 person likes this.
  7. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

asobu, finally!!! worth the wait, though. it was epic yohji day when you bought the suit, 2 hours after i won the aw95 femme stuff. glad to see ss06 pants too.

parker, are those pants part of the "tweed" y's suit? so lovely...

benesyed, it will be quite hard not wearing yohji with belt. some of the pants have 36-38-40 inches waist even in size 2 - 3..

8. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

its not a deal breaker, if avoidable i like to avoid. One of my CS pants has this nice feature where on the inside there is a tie so you can cinch tight even if its loose for where the buttons are.

I'm not not a belt guy, but again, not the end of the world :)

9. the shah

the shah Senior member

was gonna get a hat like in left pic, there seen with y's jacket, but decided instead to opt for a yy hat 10000X more expensive but in my opinion nicer, perhaps not as warm though allows for spring/fall wear as well, and let's be honest here far less afghan merchant -- already have the damir cap for that :laugh:

[​IMG][​IMG]

so one final hat will round it off, either a reinhart or harnden should do, depending on accessibility.

mr david that new purchase deserves a fit !

also quit tempting me with runway look of navy ensemble :happy:

2 people like this.
  10. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

May I ask where does this belt-phobia come from?

11. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

Mine (which is still hanging on by it's teeth) comes from when I wear my skinny clothes: belts make bulges in slim t shirts, etc, and when your jeans are true to size you don't need 'em. I had to just get over it and adjust when I started wearing looser clothing :)

12. syed

syed Well-Known Member

If you don't like belts you could always wear braces (suspenders)? Trousers then hang from the shoulders, giving a very different line and silhouette to the cinched waist of a belt. Feels a lot more free.

13. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

Braces feel so weird to me, definitely something I need to get used to. Tried Harnden ones on the other week and they looked great but it didn't feel particularly comfortable.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  14. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I actually really like braces. And belts :).

Braces definitely take getting used to though especially when used with pants that have a huge waist. I love the way it affects the drape and motion of the pants though. If they are made from a heavyweight fabric even better.

Parker I really envy how easy you look when wearing Yohji outfits. Must be that L.A vibe :slayer:

EDIT - Oh yeah Guy, I was able to pick up the hakama pants from EM. Hopefully I can get them from the post office tomorrow :).

1 person likes this.
  15. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

oh shit, sorry I didn't check the size! I've been too busy to go in the past couple of weeks. So sorry about that. :confused:

16. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

No worries :lol:. I had already kinda made up my mind to try anyway. It can't be shorter than my cotton hakamas (I hope!) and I wear those so should be fine. Will post on here once I get my hands on them.

17. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

@david, i just don't conceptually like belts. I like the idea that the pants are themselves loose but still tight enough to not need a belt, they just slightly sag. It conveys and feels more free. And if the pants are too loose when you cinch them with a belt they tend to not bunch the way i like them too.

Part of it is also pragmatic since its one less piece of clothing i have to wear/bring with me. I'd like to reduce my ensemble (atleast what i wear routinely) to pant + top + blazer + coat (and long johns) when cold. Btw, I can not praise long johns enough. Transforms my linen pieces to a year round option :)

That all being said, if I find a pair of wool gabs i can afford, im not caring belt or sans! Also, ossington makes an affordable cross stich belt that i think if it was a shade darker black would look cool with parkers lace up blazer or davids x-stich pants

18. syed

syed Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  19. wireartists

wireartists Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    everything is jet black, but I added some contrast so yo can actually see something, via old school iphone

aw04 zip suit, 100 wool gab
    ribbed asymmetric heavy knit from YYPH The Men part two, cuffs unrolled so they go way beyond my fingertips, with a black muji tanktop underneath
    aw09 brushed wool hat
    "don't mess with me" Paul Harnden boots

10 people like this.
  20. wireartists

wireartists Well-Known Member

they only had the look 37 gaba ones when I was in melb in summer/erh winter lol, and they were size 3 and the longest iteration so far. I bought look 10's...

benesyed: you sure you like yohji's clothing? kind of joking, but you seem to dislike signature features of his work. And although it looks good on you, the way you wear things might be closer to other aesthetics and easier to achieve using other designer garments. For example, yohji's pants are either super fitted and they sit on the natural waist, quite uncommon nowadays tho, or they are extremely big, i have some aw08 pants that literally fall dawn without a belt and without even touching my mediterranean ass.