1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Yeah I think ill be moving over here. I actually wore a fairly Y outfit today. CS trouser and crinkled linen blazer (both cuff on pants and blazer rolled up) with a bluish grey healther AA pullover under and some suede boots.

Will start selling street stuff on ebay. I could probably sell a few items here from the more favored brands like mmm. Will make the dive into the world of proxies, pretty much a must at my $$ level :)

And thanks for the warm welcome!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

pretty much everyone its going through this transition, don't worry. i sold all of my junya/comme/lanvin/margiela/balenciaga etc, so i can afford some yohji bargain's. it will takes quite of time if you don't have extra money to afford higher price points.

also please don't count CS too much into yohji's aesthetic because its not. maybe only few bits can be added to yyph look not much, though. however, there are plenty of examples that you don't need yohji garments to look cool and closer to his vision, just need to know your proportions and have some sense of fabric and texture. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

the bits ive been grabbing are pretty basic pieces like linen pants that capture some of my fav aspects of Y. You are definitely right tho, 80% of it is not YYPH.

4. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

Great stuff :) and please start posting some fits here too ( you are a regular poster of fits in the other one ). Need to fill these pages with good silhouettes and proper nonchalant vibe.

It's always better buying the right stuff at the wrong price than wrong stuff at the right price. Right stuff at the right price in a perfect world of course.

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nice editorial shot of FW 2011 tweed suit. Would be nice on this cold November day.

[​IMG]

6. the shah

the shah Senior member

yup takes some time till it clicks like calculus

but i feel at least old skool mmm and rei go well with yohji if one is so inclined. of course a base wardrobe + foreign mix-ins is what i'm referring to so perhaps an obvious point ...

7. dantebykiko

"Oh, dear Sir! A fine lady's clothes are not old by being worn but by being seen." - Richard Steele

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Quote that I found while reading something for my new essay. It's scary when you think how that statement is not only for women but also men and children. The beautiful thing about Yohji's garments are that the more you wear them the more you love them. I haven't been bored by any of mine so far.[/FONT]

8. dantebykiko

90s comme its fantastic. i've been looking through old collections and some times if there its no designer tittle its hard for me to tell if its yohji or comme. not tacky bullshit as present collections, just pure and honest silhouettes, fabrics and old dudes rocking paris. not sure if i agree about margiela as its very french look to me.

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Just to chime in and say that I sold and gave away most of my wardrobe to make room for Yohji garments. It starts slowly and can build a lot of momentum once you get into a nice groove. The best thing about his clothing though is that like dante said, you generally won't get bored of them. Even if all you have is a nice pair of gabardine 100 pants and a jacket, you will find that you can keep on wearing that combo throughout the week just changing out your shirt/tshirt. Very monk-like in fact sometimes if you want to look at it a certain way. And then when you start going for the more standout pieces it allows you to experiment and "go wild" every now and then :).

Looking forward to seeing you take the plunge Ben. Best to go at it slowly and focus on building a solid base before branching out.

Welcome to the thread Rylon. Hope to see more posts from you as well :slayer:

10. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah I have the same opinion when it comes to older Comme pieces. Was browsing on Y! or some other site and it switched to showing some Comme garments and I still thought I was looking at Yohji suits, hehe. Older Comme will definitely blend very well with Yohji for sure. Would like to have one of her polyester suits

11. dantebykiko

well i suggest to benesyed y's gabardine suit that essox was selling for fantastic price and the suit was awesome. not sure what happened. :/

on side note i want jeans....

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Oh I bought it. I just also want to buy is issey pants and so will be paying for that so that he can ship them both together :)

I also bought slstrs grey pants. Waiting for those to arrive!

Also, there are blazers and pants every once in a while by MMM that i feel if you size up would work well. And actually one season there was a diesel black gold blazer, looked very pseudo yohji, it had this interesting raw pattern on one side of the jacket, as if it had been clawed by something but it was actually just multiple parallell lines of string.

I certainly agree that there is no substitute for Y, but I think that working in other designers that you enjoy adds another level of personal touch. Perhaps its not pure Y but I think a little bit of play is very Y in spirit :)

1 person likes this.
  13. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Not sure I can do denim any more. Been so long since I wore a pair of jeans that the very thought of it seems strange to me now, lol.

2 people like this.
  14. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

One day I will get to that stage and not know what to do with my leather jackets!

Although I might keep them around for the few times i feel like dressing sexy and showing off the fruits of my gym labor :D

15. dantebykiko

c'mon me too but look at this cut... who cuts jeans like that :D ridiculous...

glad to hear that you got this y's suit. i hope to see fit post ;)

16. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

:p

2 people like this.
  17. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Haha! True that. I have been tempted to pick up something from his "denim" collection if I ever see anything for that very reason :D

Yohji is a boss. I doubt I could pull off the full denim look he has going on in that pic. Think it might work better on smaller guys maybe?

EDIT - Damn that jacket is bloody nice though. Look at those buttons.

18. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

19. dantebykiko

you mean ss02? too slim and boring? no? one of those jeans will be mine at some point in my life =))

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

His runway stuff is absurd, but what he was wearing? I couldn't pull it off, but it looks phenomenal on him.