1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Auburn

Auburn Senior member

This is something I've always wondered, but how does one get an invitation to a large scale fashion show? The pics are wonderful!

2. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

3. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Mandarin Collar shirt i recently got, its a tad tight on me so I am considering selling it if i dont lose the weight i want to lose in the next two weeks/if that doesnt help. At 171 right now, want to hit 166 ish :).

I got it for pretty cheap too. Like 30 bucks + shipping. So I would unload it for that much.

[​IMG]

4. stadsvandringar

stadsvandringar Active Member

Not that it's on topic, but for those of you looking for a mandarin collar shirt to pair with your yohji (aside from those yohji makes of course), I would recommend issey miyake. Miyake has made these types of shirts for a number of years. They were very popular, I believe, in the 90s and are readily available on ebay or secondhand in Japan for a reasonable price. The quality is very good and the aesthetic is much closer to yohji than some of the other brands mentioned.

5. dantebykiko

very good point. i bought white issey shirt couple of months ago from ebay for £15.... blends perfectly with my yohji garments.

PS: just had quick look on rakuten for issey stuff. i really like this suit: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/brand-kakaku-jfa/w11951/
    the price its fantastic and the quality/fit won't be far off yohji's. lovely texture!

also found the shirt type that i own. mine is white: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/brand-kakaku-jfa/y00762f/

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. slstr

slstr Senior member

[​IMG]

Just got this pair of yyph pants for an insane price from rakuten thanks to dante [​IMG]
    So i now have two pairs of yohji pants on the way! Really hope I can pull off the whole yohji aesthetic, if not there may be a couple of pairs of pants up for grabs for you guys soon.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. stadsvandringar

stadsvandringar Active Member

I'd like to second Auburn's request to David: how did you ultimately get in to the show? I assume you are not working as a part of the fashion industry...

1 person likes this.
  8. dantebykiko

loyal customers get benefits [​IMG] i will leave david to explain the rest.

9. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

I cannot speak for others who are involved in the fashion industry, for me ( the consumer ) it's about being passionate about your designer, going to the official store(s) and spending your cash on his clothes ( whether sale or retail ) to support his business in however small or big way, having a friendly relationship with the sales teams, letting them know ( in my case ) you are a loyal follower of his work, and finally asking politely and persistently if such opportunity will arise on short notice to attend his Runway Show ( i.e. taking time off work ). A long time ambition fulfilled at last [​IMG] An honour and a privilege.

I just about managed to seek out some clear enough shots from our vantage point to post here ( 25 feet diagonally from the end of the Runway ). The powerful spotlights shining our way made those garments look quite different from the head on shots seen online away from the glare, tremendous all the same. We shot the full 18:30 vid as well but yet to find a way to upload it....[​IMG]

Photographers/Press getting ready

[​IMG]

Y's SA helping with seating, he looked damn good on the target piece of AW12 ( you recognize him a lot on SS11 PH Runway in the background )

[​IMG]

Runway Looks ( spot the insolent Tim Blanks on front roll ) - such flowing fabrics. The jumpsuits were great in a out-of-context kind of way.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The rest

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Edit:- forgot to mention the Jumpsuits are part of the new Regulation Line ( SA told us ), hence the out-of -context vibe with the Runway :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    7 people like this.
  10. dantebykiko

yohji cover:

[​IMG]

btw i have to add that you can be loyal without going and spending cash in the stores. i never did and won't be able to do it any time soon. that doesn't make me unloyal [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. davidlee388

Yes yes yes, I meant being a loyal customer to the Official Stores as well as a loyal supporter of the designer. The staff in London and Paris know we are not rich, merely middle class working people spending our hard earned, not the point-and-buy type. They also know full well a lot of my stuff come from auctions, they seem truly surprised by the vast discrepancy between Japanese and European retail prices, and the Y! prices we paid.

I never said not buying from YY Stores is disloyal to the designer. It's only fair ( at least for me and my wife ) to buy now and again ( when we can afford to ) when we spend hours and hours in the stores trying the collections on, drinking the coffee/wine and taking up their time.

12. esox

esox Senior member

i can recomend the combination of miyake and yohji. some items blend very well together. at least the older miyake stuff and for sure the wrinkled shirts.
    i would buy the one you found on rakuten. i have some shirts of miyake - the oldest one is more than 20 years old and i wore it often and it still look like new.
    unbreakable polyester stuff. [​IMG] i love it to wear. really relaxing. wash it, dry it for 2 hours and you can wear it again. no ironing needed. [​IMG]

i have some wrinkled jackets of miyake and they blend also very nice with the yohji trousers i think.

i can agree to david.

for me it the way was similar to see a yohji show. buying yohji at the flagships is a good way to get an invitation. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    2 people like this.
  13. davidlee388

Hey Guy, they aren't the same seller. The one selling the SS09 shirt is H-R on Stylezeitgiest. Whoever interested in that can perhaps deal with him directly, save the bidding war.

14. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

ooooh, weird. I must have completely misread it first thing this morning. Sorry about that!

15. Arche

Arche Senior member

I'm intrigued by the jacket below and I'm wondering if anyone knows which season it's from. I think it's YYPH, but that's all I know. The decorative front panels are apparently made of paper, and I'm trying to determine if they were originally as torn as they look in this photo. I'd also be interested in any other information anyone has about the paper used. It's an intriguing concept, but sounds potentially very impractical (Can it be dry-cleaned? What if it gets wet? Is it very fragile?).

[​IMG]

16. asobu

asobu Senior member

Yeah, the paper is torn from production. I don't know how delicate it is but my guess it's holding up pretty well. It's from S/S 99, this is the only runway shot I have of it:

[​IMG]

david, amaaazing pics man! Looks like you had a great time. :slayer:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  17. asobu

asobu Senior member

HQ pics of the SS13 femme collection:

click!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

I don't have any YY items. But the SS 13 femme show is just too good.

19. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Following slstr's example and checking out rakuten, but I've got a question: a lot of the Yohji "bottoms" are described as "underwear" in the product title or description. Is this just the result of a bad translation for the word "bottoms," or am I really looking at what is essentially Yohji long-underwear?