Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Bloody hell, that blazer! :slayer:. Going from the first picture to the last one was like Clark Kent -> Superman. Look definitely works.

2. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

Cheers, you were one of three that inspired me :nodding:

3. davidlee388

Ivwri, I told you this in a PM, the seller didn't realise it's a runway piece and I took it off him for a relative bargain. Whilst not at all practical doing the " Superman " look :slayer: it is nevertheless very thematic. Yohji needs to come back and do all these inspiring details to complement the inspiring fabrics he uses nowadays.

4. davidlee388

Welcome to this thread! Hope you like what you see sofar :) We are all light-minded people sharing the same passion/interest/curiosity for the dress maker Yohji Yamamoto. Ivwri really deserves a BIG pad on the back for starting this whole thing. Well it got me writing and posting pics ( I'm normally very private/reserved lol ).....

As for CS, I have absolutely no problem wearing it, I have a few Tees, pants and a blouson. The stuff is made in Italy so no problem for quality IMO. It definitely has the spirit of YY silhouette wise, whether he has any direct input is debatable ( the same can be said about the WHOLE PH & Femme collections ). I regard CS as YY Streetwear, whereas Y-3 ( which I love as well ) is YY Sportswear. CS ( & Y-3 ) can definitely be integrated into a Yohji wardrobe ( sometimes I find it pointless buying a simple YYPH/Y's Tee or pants when I can buy a CS one for a fraction of the cost ). Just see how well Parker can wear CS with YY.

Of course in the end you will probably be tempted to turn to the Dark Side and succumb to the Yohji spell haha .....

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Most of the Coming Soon items I've seen in person have been at discounters and so it's possible that they weren't the best representation of the brand. They were probably leftovers that nobody wanted, and so what I saw I didn't like much. The fabrics were just ok. But Parker wears it so well that I've decided to give the line another try. I even just ordered a CS blazer off Yoox. As for whether Yohji has a hand in designing it, I have no idea, but I would be surprised if he did.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

6. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

The quality of the blazers is actually pretty nice, provided the cut works for you.

7. asobu

asobu Senior member

I love this longer jacket, I also found the tab closure detail at the neck very interesting as it's almost exactly the same as on my ss99 jacket (so, the previous spring season). I wonder how often design details like this were iterated from the mainline into y's (or vice versa?). Besides this detail my jacket is completely different though. I love the length here, especially in that walking shot

Touching on CS and whether Yohji had any hand in designing any of it (I haven't seen much CS in person so I can't comment on the line, unfortunately)

This is what Runner on TFS said of the last Y's collection (women's):

thought this was an interesting comment

great jacket David! ss04 is indeed incredible

8. davidlee388

The tab closure for the lapels IS present on a SS12 linen blazer I tried on in Conduit Street. Very old school yohji cut, the only blazer in the store that fitted me comfortably in size 2 BTW.

Yes SS04 is pretty awesome indeed. Sadly not many show up in auctions. Mine is an accidental find :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

9. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

ill just echo this :)

10. JunyaYamamoto

JunyaYamamoto Senior member

thanks for the welcome. i have joined the dark side kinda... i have a few YYPH pieces which i covet, but i find myself wearing CS on a more regular basis. lets face it, the clothes arent cheap, so I try to increase the shelf life by wearing them less often. for instance, a YY tank top that costs as much as a flat screen tv? c'mon!

Quote: i've never seen any Coming Soon clothes in stores. i must be shopping in the wrong places. but i tend to buy it off websites because i know i fit a size 36, which im normally a 38. everything's oversized, which I hope you took into account when you ordered that blazer.

11. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

i took the new jackets for a spin. i had to mock up the fits as my phone it's useless. also bought two new things... the look 31 hakamas and this jumper which i missed from comma but the winner resold it for lower price. anyone has photos of this collection?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ss 01 bomber, aw 09 long knit, self-made cover pants, aw 08 boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ss 06 coat, aw 02 shirt+waistcoat (used to be white but i've dyed it), aw 97 trousers, y's wallet chain, cdgt boots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Broder

Broder Well-Known Member

I just want to thank all the posters in this thread - the inspiration, aspirations and knowledge you all spread are invaluable (or at least very highly valued)! I hope I will be able to contribute to this thread in the future, at least in some little way.

I would like to know this as well. Anyone got a source for vintage silk hakamas (preferably black)?

13. davidlee388

Cheers.

Some day Superman >> Skull Man ( hint hint :slayer: )

14. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

15. davidlee388

Like I said earlier Kiko, I'm intrigued by the SS06 coat, interesting details, amazing construction no doubt.