1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah the shoes are Yohji as well. They have a nice detail as well. The leather from the back of the shoe covers the sides and back of the heel. It's a subtle detail but one that gives me pleasure knowing its there. Hehe.

Yohji has quite a few collections with proportions and fits like this actually. If you have a look through AW04 (loads of great pants there), SS08, AW07 (argh this season has so many amazing items!), SS07 there are loads of great blazers and pants in a similar mold. The issue of course as always is finding them. They never disappoint once you get them though :D

2. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Do you find them on Ebay? What is SZ? If you find anything you like that is slightly small for you, let me know.

3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Ah sorry, SZ is another forum - Stylezeitgeist. And yeah, if you look on the first post there's a list of online retailers and some suggestions for auction sites. eBay is a good bet of course and even more so is Yahoo Japan Auctions. It's tougher to navigate unless you speak Japanese, but google translate does a good enough job. Stylezeitgeist's Men's Classifieds section always turns up a few Yohji items every now and then and so does the marketplace on superfuture as well.

Will definitely keep an eye out and post good finds in here or via PM if I see a piece in particular that you (or anyone else for that matter) are interested in. So just post in here if you're hunting something and I'm sure people won't mind letting you know if they come across it - unless they want the same thing too of course :devil:.

4. sshum

sshum Active Member

This is a great thread and certainly one that resonates with me. I've been a big fan of Yohji's work for quite some time but have never been able to find anything that 'fit' me. In the past, the few items that were offered seemed really big. I get that Yohji is meant to be worn loose and baggy but there's a point where I feel like the clothes are wearing you and not the other way around. I thought for sure I would be able to find some items in the flagship store in Tokyo this summer but still nothing.

I pm'd the original poster asking for sizing advice as reading through this thread and other posts elsewhere didn't really shed any light on what size I should be looking for. Keep in mind that I had access to very few items in store vs online. You take a big risk buying online when you are not familiar with the designer's sizing. At the end, what I took away from the discussion was to just go with what you feel comfortable in. Disregard the fact that I 'should be a size 3' so if a size1 fits better, just go with that.

I ended up purchasing 4 pieces from the FW11 collection - 3 in size 3 and 1 in size 1 - pants, white shirt, herringbone jacket and black wool asymmetric closure jacket. I was drawn to the herringbone since I saw it 4 months ago. It's not the blazer version so I think most people find it a hard piece to incorporate in their wardrobes. But it's great to break up a black wardrobe. I love color but it's hard to find. As others have pointed out, it's not a heavy jacket by any means. I'm happy with what I purchased (even better when you get it for a huge discount) and what I believe is a good starting point for my Yohji pieces.

I also tried on 3 of knits that were still available - oatmeal cardigan, black big rib cardigan and the greenish hooded knit. I resisted even though I love knits and have too many sitting in my dressers. His knits are big but not uncomfortably so. It really is like wearing your 'grandfather's' sweaters - just big and comfy.

1 person likes this.
  5. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Picked this up for cheap on Ebay. Guy was apparently a model and picked it up at a fashion show and used it for photo shoots. Maybe I can make it work and eventually put a complete Yohji outfit together...Need a dragon jacket. Bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I like Y-3 shoes (have several pairs), but the clothing, not so much.

7. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Finally found a video for AW2012/2013.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

via Stylezeitgeist.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Damn, seeing this in motion and hearing the music made me like it even more. Loved some of the surprise details shown behind the clothes. The collarless assymetric jacket with the button in the center looked excellent and so did the elbow details on a few of the coats.

Great stuff. The visual theme of "crossroads" was also very well done I feel. The idea that the archetypal Yohji man is forever restless yet bound to things like cities, towns and villages (as most crossroads tend to lead to at some point) and is all sorts of people - martial, romantic, a bit of a scoundrel, young, old - never quite in sync with the rest of his environment, but never alien to it either, is something that appeals to me deep down and it comes across so well in his clothing.

sshum do make sure to post pics of your stuff once it arrives :D.

Nice buy Caveat saw that belt as well and thought it would look nice too.

imageWIS I have only really seen Y-3 stuff in pictures and have handled a single pair of shoes from the X-anniversary stuff. Might pick up a pair or two that look interesting from the SS12 drop.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

thanks ivwri! I loved the crossroads runway, both conceptually and visually. really nice to see the clothing in motion. yohji is awesome!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

W04 shawl collar coat. Didn't wear it out, but wanted to play dress up take a pic for archival/sharing purposes before heading out -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a very nice 100% wool gabardine and feels lighter than it actually is once worn. The drape is excellent. No buttons so it must be worn open and it has two slits near the shawl lapel that can be used to access trouser pockets. The positioning of the pocket slits also accentuates the shawl collar in a great way so it looks even better with hands in pockets while walking. It's not that warm and is more suited to spring or fall I think. Can't wait to have a chance to wear it out.

What I actually wore out -

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. asobu

asobu Senior member

Amazing! The AW04 gabardine is out of this world, so extremely nice. The balance and drape looks just right too, he's doing this shawl collar/robe/no button coats from time to time and they're an incredible part of his work. I think he did a coat very similar to this one for his AW99 show as well. :slayer:

BTW, thanks for posting that video. The crossroad theme didn't come through in the pictures and this just blew me away, I was absolutely blown away, it was beautiful. Such a perfect execution of the theme and it just fits so right in his work, I think your comment above is on point. Actually seeing the show, the clothes in motion just elevated the collection for me too. I think this is the best runway show he's done in a really long time and I'm sure the clothes will show equal greatness on the racks. With SS12 just out in stores and with this on the horizon, 2012 will be a good year. :nodding:

12. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yup, most definitely. It's going to be a challenge to not go for broke between the two collections :lol:.

The silk pieces from SS12 seem to be the highest priced items so far, averaging at 140k+ yen. I wonder how many of those will make it to the sales. There are two silk pieces that are on my "must buy" list so might have to cough up the dough somehow, but the wool and cotton stuff is not bad.

Is anybody else getting some pieces from SS12? I am definitely picking up the hakama pants, the ninja pants and a couple of jackets.

What are people looking to picki up and how do you think you will incorporate it into your wardrobe?

13. Lane

Lane Senior member

man that show was magnificent, I loved how the music fit with the mood of the garments he was going for.

honestly one of my favorite of the shows this fall, I was rather disappointed with every designer I like. This is so yohji, love how there isn't a hint of straying from his path. This is just like rick in that I can't truly appreciate every look until I see them in motion, so good.

Yohji also is great for the runway, the clothes tell a story but without resorting to extravagant nonsense ala thom browne, music helps a ton.

too bad I cant break free from shrinkwrap silhouettes lol

14. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Wow, that's a really nice knit. Someone should definitely pick it up.

16. asobu

asobu Senior member

Love that color. i can vouch for these AW10 block knits, they're pretty great. I never tried the long ones but the regular length cardis were very nice in person. So light but felt warm and quite solid. They only had black (with specks of red) when I saw them in-store, had they stocked that color I probably would've considered picking one up. I've actually never seen this version (length or color) before, not in store and not online since then.

17. PregnantBob

PregnantBob Senior member

Love the thread.

Love this look.

18. Nil

Nil Senior member

My pants from Gilt just arrived and I have to say, I can definitely get used to this look. I can already tell I'm going to live in these things once it gets a bit warmer. That is, unless I get more Yohji pants.

:hide:

Sorry, asobu. :happy:

19. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

It's only a matter of time :devil:

Haha! Great stuff. When do we get to see pics? :nodding:

Drew PM'd me and said he has been able to get my first order from SS12 :slayer: Can't wait for pics and delivery!

20. asobu

asobu Senior member

This makes me sad, I was half expecting a PM any day now. However, it's also good great news that you like them. Now you need to get a shirt, and then you'll realize you need a jacket as well and once you see that nothing ever felt that good to wear... :slayer: